Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Swap into 94 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Swap into 94 Trans Am

Though of posting my progress so far of my 98 LS1 swap into a 94 Trans Am.
So a buddy of mine crashed his 1998 Camaro Z28; He's ok but the car was hailed as to damaged to fix, even thou it was ok. The damage was on the front psgr side and psgr quater panel. So i had a complete donor car for this swap.

Well just for those curious as to how i did this well hears some pics. Hopefully this is helpful or encouraging to some. Feel free to ask me anything. im currently about to put in the LS1 into the Trans Am. i have a bit to go.

This is my 1994 Pontiac Trans Am. LT1. Stock mostly. Mods listed in my user PF

This is the work area i had. I did what i had too.

Then like a captain on a sea voyage; Who is embarking on an adventure. He is looking out into the ocean only to see a massive storm followed by thunderous swealls;The captain then says to his 1st mate "So its begins"

I started by removing all the harnes connectors in the engine bay, then i bleed it dry of its vital liquids. Disconnected everything i could that would sang up; exceeeept, the throttle cable. yah i fucked the pouch on that one.

LS1 from a wrecked 98 Z28

THIS IS THE CRASH.
Now this thing is left like its just launched.
[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/losaltos6
LS1 coming out
/IMG_20140611_191348_zpsda73d73f.jpg[/IMG]

Then i started refurbish the breaks. Safety first says the guy with no airbag in the steering wheel.

Its out and time for some cleaning. I used LOTS of de gresser and metal brushes. i also used a wire brush that i attached to my power drill. it works really good and its FUN. I aslo Changed a number of gaskets; Timing chain cover/seal,intake manifold,knock sensor plug,water pump ,valve cover,oil pan,etc. I wanted to make sure it would not leak on me.

[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/losaltos6
/IMG_20140616_115104_zps5f3c678a.jpg[/IMG]

Then i cleaned up the front cradle and spindle assembly.

My intirior was really shitty so i decided to swap.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:52 AM
Staging Lane

And some more engine ****, i mean pix.

Thats all, today i will be putting her in and with the wiring. FML
Old 07-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice but have you looked into the California legal swap mumbo jumbo? Smog police may not pass it. I'd hate to see anyone go that far only to be told it is not legal. I think LS1tech should have a sub section on engine swap legality in state by state.

Here in NY, it's only a safety inspection on vehicles 25 years and older, no emissions (1989 and older). So 1990-1995 would have to pass safety and visual emissions (emission items not removed/altered, no sniff at least here in upstate). 1996 and newer get the PCM connected to a state computer. It won't pass if you have a check engine code on. You cannot simply disconnect the battery, restart and pass. The computer goes thru a series of "checklists", only way to enable them is to start, stop,re start, drive a few miles, higher way speeds, slower speeds...etc, then the car would pass if the check engine light did not come back on.
Recently, here in NY, the computer inspection tool recognizes "aftermarket tunes", devices that have been deleted such as "rear O2, EGR" etc. Your vehicle will not pass. This is effecting a coworker of mine. He has a late model GT500 with some mods. Now he may have to go back to stock. I'm willing to bet this law will roll through the other states in the near future (or federal highway funding could be with held).

Good luck and let us know how you make out with the smog police.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:52 AM
Staging Lane

So i found out about california laws by the way. Any engine similar and newer to mine will work as long as its the same type of engine offered for my car. The blurry line is that it states that the engine must have been offered by the manufacture as a diffrent option for my car. Which technaclly is true but false as seeing same car but diffrent years. Im gonna do it anyways. But thanks for the head up man.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:00 AM
Staging Lane

Update i sanded and primed and painted the engine bay. And badged my car with an LS1 alum decal.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Launching!

You may be ok...tech may not catch it. If you keep all the 98 emission stuff connected...EGR, PCV, cat, AIR pump, you may pass. Also...are the fuel tanks slightly different on the LS cars? I know the LS powered FBody has the charcoal canister on top of the tank.
You'll also probably need to switch the car over to OBDII...not sure what that does to the dash gauges. Good luck my friend!

Found this...this will help you for sure...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...mog-legal.html

Last edited by reedld; 07-06-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Ive got an update. everything is in i just need to finish the wiring harnes and the fuel,break and the slotted tranny k-member.

Also added a tranny cooler
Old 07-31-2014, 04:54 PM

Default 99 formula ls1 to a 94 25th anniversary TA

I have a 99 Formula I just purchased has a newer crate motor Ls1 from Jasper engines around 16,000 miles car has a salvage title previously wrecked before engine swap but tranny messed up for the 6th time so old man salvaged car. Any way I am trying to purchase a 94 25th anniversary TA that has engine issues. Wanting to see how this goes for you if it will work how big a pain it is to do. Ill prolly be paying a garage / friend to do the swap but just curious if this is going to work etc.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:43 AM
Staging Lane

kycop19 its really not that hard of a job, i just finished. Many cuts and brusies but not as hard as you would think. If you have any questions let me know.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

cool swap man, what did you do with the fuel system?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Looking good.

Looks like your friend found out that a stock LS1 is too much for him, the hard way. Time to go buy a Mustang lol

Quick Reply: LS1 Swap into 94 Trans Am