Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,436 Likes on 906 Posts

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I am not discouraged, just a little bummed, because this car was pretty damn straight!

I took it to a local body shop and for a minimal fee they pulled the fender off the tire and I replaced the tire valve stem that was cut during the crash. She is not pretty, but she is back on the road!

The C-pillar is not damaged and none of the suspension pickup points were either. It drives as before now that the metal is pulled off the fender.

Not sure for future plans, but in the short term it will stay like this. My wife and I are moving to Kansas City in May, so I can't have it bogged down with repairs.

Andrew
The following 2 users liked this post by Project GatTagO:
kwhizz (02-03-2020), Long Beach GTO (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I am not discouraged, just a little bummed, because this car was pretty damn straight!

I took it to a local body shop and for a minimal fee they pulled the fender off the tire and I replaced the tire valve stem that was cut during the crash. She is not pretty, but she is back on the road!

The C-pillar is not damaged and none of the suspension pickup points were either. It drives as before now that the metal is pulled off the fender.

Not sure for future plans, but in the short term it will stay like this. My wife and I are moving to Kansas City in May, so I can't have it bogged down with repairs.

Andrew
Kansas City Andrew? REALLY? Federal Witness Protection Program?? You sooooo gangsta! LOL, Best of luck with the move sir.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 464 Likes on 350 Posts

Damn, some people take the Super Bowl seriously!

Good luck with move....look forward to seeing what's next.
G Atsma (02-03-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Long Beach GTO
Kansas City Andrew? REALLY? Federal Witness Protection Program?? You sooooo gangsta! LOL, Best of luck with the move sir.
I can neither confirm nor deny....
G Atsma (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

I say have it replaced/repaired/prepped laser straight.....and then put flawless show quality original paint color on just that one quarter.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Yount:
G Atsma (02-04-2020), ryeguy2006a (02-06-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Andrew
HMMMMM!!!

Needs a Band Aid.
Good to hear you came through unscathed.

Ken
Old 02-12-2020, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to see this Andrew, glad you got out OK.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:20 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Awesome work

I’ve posted on this before, but it’s been a while I came back to check out the full build. Very impressed I need to get back to work on mine just waiting to have my last couple surgeries on my spine. I have a ton of work ahead of me just like you already did I ordered a bunch of chassis rails an parts an full Cage from Art Morrison. Lost a bunch of motivation to even finish the car 68 mustang, this gives me my motivation back. Keep up the great work.
Project GatTagO (02-25-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I thought I would give a quick update on what is happening with the Cougar and a little about what's going on in my life.

The insurance company has been slow to work with, but they have been responsive. We have come to a settlement and I am hoping to receive a check soon. What happens to the Cougar is still up in the air. The damage is very fixable, but I am eager to start another project. On the other hand, it is tempting to fix the Cougar and build it to version 2.0. In the middle of March, right before the COVID-19 thing blew everything up, my wife and I were in Kansas City looking at various areas and houses. We plan to move there sometime in the next 60-90 days. This pandemic is the ultimate test of being able to deal with uncertainty, but we are managing it well.

I enjoy doing little project on the Cougar. It's hard to believe that it is almost five years since she has been on the road. With any car there are always maintenance issues to address. Since I have DBW throttle bodies that live outside the engine back, exposed to the elements, the wiring for the TBs has taken quite a beating. The sun's UV rays beat up the wiring insulation and this ultimately leads to DBW errors that leads to going into "limp mode."

The Holley DBW cables are quite long, so it is just a matter of stripping back the cable insulation and get to some new, fresh wires.

The DBW connectors are Metripack GT150 series. I purchased new connectors and already had the proper terminals and cable seals in my wiring tool box.

Good as new...

More to come...

Andrew
The following 2 users liked this post by Project GatTagO:
EdyJun (04-19-2020), Long Beach GTO (04-19-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

This week I finally got a settlement check from the other driver's insurance company. Despite being a little slow to respond and no doubt Covid-19 having something to do with that, I am pleased with the settlement. Given that my wife and I are in the process of relocating, the repairs on the Cougar are put on hold. The car is running and driving and it doesn't make much sense to start any sort of repair process at the moment.

As a follow up to the last update, I had my buddy Blake design some really neat covers for the throttle body connectors. He drew these up in SolidWorks and 3D printed them out of ABS plastic.

I had to de-pin the terminals from the connector body and fish the wires through. The fit is spot on!!!

Here you can see the difference between the 3D printed covers and my old balloon solution. I think these look much better!

Since I have installed these, we have had several really heavy storms with a lot of rain. The next morning I was able to start it up and have had zero issues. I think the combination of the new connectors and these covers should make this a fairly long term solution to keeping the throttle body connectors dry and protected from UV.

These covers would actually also be a great addition to any engine that uses the DBW throttle bodies. If anyone is interested in them, send me a PM and I will see if Blake wants to make some more.

Andrew
Old 04-29-2020, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

That's rad! We got a 3D printer at work not too long ago, and it prints out soft and hard plastics that are incredibly durable, as well as multiple durometers of rubber, and the resolution is incredible... can't even see the steps from the layers. Shoot me a PM if you'd be interested in having a set of rubber boots printed for an even more OEM-ish look!

Cheers,
Joe
Project GatTagO (04-30-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like your setup, it's very unique and interesting.
Project GatTagO (04-29-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I probably mentioned this in prior posts, but I am now living in Kansas City, and the Cougar is finally here with me. One of the things that has been bothering me for a while is the change in the exhaust note. I think my old mufflers were getting blown out and the sound was just not pleasant and way too loud for my taste.

So a friend of a friend recommended a local place and I went to see them for a consultation. I knew that I wanted to keep the tailpipes and that I wanted an X-pipe. Recall that this exhaust had no crossover pipe of any kind. We discussed muffler type and brand. I wanted things quiet, but I also didn't want turbo mufflers. I personally think the tone of turbo mufflers is just no that appealing. We discussed Magnaflow, Flowmaster, DynoMax UltraFlow and a few others. I also knew that I wanted the biggest case muffler that can fit in the space. He didn't care because I was ordering the parts. I settled on the 20" case DynoMax UltraFlows.

I got home and started looking up the pricing and the UltraFlows were like $120 each. That got me thinking about Borla ProXS mufflers, so I checked their website. Turns out they have 19" case mufflers and they were $15 cheaper. I ordered the Borla mufflers, Magnaflow x-pipe and a pair of Jegs brand v-band clamps.

Here are some in process pictures of the installation.

These are the old pipes from the manifolds to the mufflers.

Mocking up the x-pipe.

X=pipe in place:

Mocking up the mufflers:

[img}https://i.hmjimg.com/images/2020/07/01/909.jpg[/img]

Getting the tailpipes lighted up.

Final installation with both tailpipes attached.

I am very pleased with the installation and the sound. It is super mellow at idle, but starts to get a little volume around 2000RPM. It has a nice deep tone and the exhaust note is greatly smoothed out, not doubt because of the x-pipe. I am also pretty sure that the x-pipe added a good bit of torque below 2500rpm.

I have video clips of the sound posted on my Instagram account.

Andrew

Old 07-01-2020, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Seen a few before/after dynos with X, H and no crossover. Never seen more than 2-5 lb-ft or HP anywhere on the curve; mostly folks simply talk about the change in the exhaust note and chalk power/torque differences up to the normal variations from run to run. The one I remember the most about was a 375-ish HP 347 Ford (5.0L based) -- there was virtually no difference at all between H or X (except quality of sound) -- and they both made a couple of more HP at peak than the system with no crossover at all. The rest of the curve was pretty much identical. You changed mufflers - so any before/after changes are hard to pin on just one thing.

System looks great Andrew - mostly, glad you're happy with the sound. I've gotten too old for aftermarket systems - they're all just too loud for these old ears. Trying to figure out how to quiet down the 'Yota.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Seen a few before/after dynos with X, H and no crossover. Never seen more than 2-5 lb-ft or HP anywhere on the curve; mostly folks simply talk about the change in the exhaust note and chalk power/torque differences up to the normal variations from run to run. The one I remember the most about was a 375-ish HP 347 Ford (5.0L based) -- there was virtually no difference at all between H or X (except quality of sound) -- and they both made a couple of more HP at peak than the system with no crossover at all. The rest of the curve was pretty much identical. You changed mufflers - so any before/after changes are hard to pin on just one thing.

System looks great Andrew - mostly, glad you're happy with the sound. I've gotten too old for aftermarket systems - they're all just too loud for these old ears. Trying to figure out how to quiet down the 'Yota.
It is certainly possible that the combination of the mufflers and the x-pipe are making a difference. I just wouldn't think these mufflers are that much better, but maybe they are. The change seems significant enough that I notice it, and I do not think that I would feel 5lb/ft. Or maybe my butt dyno is not working...LOL

I guess the rear test would be seeing any MPH improvement at the drag strip. I am also quite certain that fuel economy has improved based on the instant MPG while going down the highway. I can definitely test this on the next full tank.

Andrew
Old 01-23-2021, 04:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Caught up on this build thread... sorry to see the damage on the car.
Project GatTagO (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Caught up on this build thread... sorry to see the damage on the car.
Yeah. It's a bummer. But I still drive her as my go to daily driver!

Andrew
Old 07-13-2021, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I then went for a drive, not really expecting any difference, but to my surprise, there was a difference. At low speed there is considerably more assist and as speed increases there is a noticeable drop in assist. So contrary to my previous proclamations, and counter to the results that some people have done with bench testing, I don't believe that the speed sensitive steering is active if there is no CAN signal. This makes sense, because in the Yaris FSM it clearly states that if there is a CAN communication error with the engine ECM, it defaults into "failsafe" mode (fixed assist at the middle level). The RTC was about the same, but I expect this to improve once I get the OBDII connector wired up, scan and clear any codes, and perform the torque sensor zero point calibration.

Progress is being made.

Andrew
I've got my steering set up and working, but it's the failsafe, medium assist at all speeds as expected. I'm curious if you managed to perform the torque sensor zero point calibration? Also, does your buddy want to sell another one of those boxes? I'm wondering if there's another option as opposed to the CANdo Auto - $$$.

Russ
Old 07-18-2021, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cdnmr2v6
I've got my steering set up and working, but it's the failsafe, medium assist at all speeds as expected. I'm curious if you managed to perform the torque sensor zero point calibration? Also, does your buddy want to sell another one of those boxes? I'm wondering if there's another option as opposed to the CANdo Auto - $$$.

Russ
Hey Russ,

I never did manage to do a zero point calibration. Also, as of right now, I am not using the CAN box. I still have the speed signal going to the Yaris steering ECU and it does seem to alter the level of assist, or maybe it is just my imagination. I just drive the car now and it seems fine.

Andrew
Old 09-02-2021, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's been a while since I updated this thread, mostly because nothing exciting has been happening with the Cougar, until last week. I am going to post some pictures, without details. I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise...

LS Fest should be a lot more exciting this year.

Andrew

Quick Reply: 1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)