Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 464 Likes on 350 Posts

Great update Andrew! Headed west to pick up the new Toy. Clinton, MS tonight...
Old 11-06-2019, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Andrew, can you link your Youtube channel to your ls1tech account, or at least put it in your signature? I imagine those following this build are your target demographic.

And when can you fly to Phoenix? We can put together a "cheap LSA swap for your classic muscle car" video series.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Nice update Andrew. What's going on with the GTO? Do you ever daily the goat or is it usually garage kept?

I got chuckle out of your reference to driving an "appliance" every day. I'm very guilty of that.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,436 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
Andrew, can you link your Youtube channel to your ls1tech account, or at least put it in your signature? I imagine those following this build are your target demographic.

And when can you fly to Phoenix? We can put together a "cheap LSA swap for your classic muscle car" video series.
I have a link to my YouTube channel in my signature. Is it not showing up for everyone? Maybe it only shows up when browsing on a computer but not on a mobile device?

I would love to do that video series! Wish I had the time to do that in the near future :-(

Also, I just crested over 1000 subscribers, which is super cool. I am not Cletus McFarland, then again, I am not trying to be. LOL

Andrew
Old 11-13-2019, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Nice update Andrew. What's going on with the GTO? Do you ever daily the goat or is it usually garage kept?

I got chuckle out of your reference to driving an "appliance" every day. I'm very guilty of that.
The GTO is leading an uneventful life, parked in the garage, at the moment. Once my wife and I settle into our new destination, I plan to do some changes to it and drive it a lot more. Hard to believe that it has been 17 years since I built that car and over 10 years since it has been LS powered. Where does the time go!?!?!

Andrew
Old 11-13-2019, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,095 Likes on 2,411 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I am not Cletus McFarland, then again, I am not trying to be. LOL

Andrew
I wouldn't WANT to be...… LOL
Old 11-13-2019, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a link to my YouTube channel in my signature.

My YouTube Channel

Yikes. I knew that if you post from mobile your signature doesn't show, but that's not the case here. I have no excuse for how I missed that.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I finally had an opportunity to make some mechanical changes. Due to life circumstances, I still do not have a garage, but the generosity of "car guys" never ceases to amaze me. I am currently in the Louisville area, and a car buddy in Jasper Indiana offered his shop and skills to make this possible (thanks @herblumpp!!!).

Since going with the shorter tires, the cruising RPM on the highway has been a little too high for my taste with the 4.33 gears. In edition to the gearing, I was getting really tired of the Detroit Locker clucking and chattering around corners. It's great at the drag strip, but given that this car lives on the street 99% of the time, a more street friendly differential was needed. A buddy of mine had a used 9" carrier sitting around so I bought it from him. It had a 3.25 gear and a clutch type differential. The gear wasn't optimal, but I decided to go with it.

We made some adjustments to the gear mesh and added a Strange aluminum Daytona pinion support and a CV pinion yoke from The Driveshaft Shop. This way I have two complete carriers that I can swap back and forth if I wanted to in the future.

Got the car up on the lift and saw this:

That's the life of a daily driver. Pulled the driveshaft...

The axles...

Then the old carrier...

Then installed the new carrier...

The 3.25 gear is a little tall. On the highway it is a little over 1700 RPM @ 75 MPH. The engine doesn't seem to complain, especially with the mild cam, but you can tell that it really wants to be closer to 2000 RPM to be happy. The gears also whine like crazy. I was expecting this, but was hoping the whine wouldn't be so loud.

The biggest improvement was the clutch style differential. This makes driving on the street a lot smoother.

Andrew
Old 12-02-2019, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

The second part of the update was to install tailpipes in the exhaust system. My buddy was talking about building them from scratch, but then I saw that Flowmaster makes tailpipes for the 67-70 Cougars (PN 15807). These are 2.5" diameter, like the rest of the exhaust system, and I figured they would save a ton of time.

Having the car on the lift makes fitting the pipes a lot easier. I kept the original Hooker V304 stainless mufflers.

To make exhaust disassembly easier down the road, we added some Jegs brand v-band clamps. These were not super expensive and have an internal locking lip to keep both halves aligned. The v-bands were rotated out of the way in the final installation.

The end of the tailpipes got some turndowns and the pipes were tucked up and behind the rear valance. I also painted the tailpipes black, which makes them basically invisible when looking at the car from the rear. Even in this picture they are hard to spot...

The end result is a bit of a mixed bag. I was expecting the exhaust to get a little quieter, but that didn't happen. The exhaust note got deeper and but not quieter. I am probably getting too old, because I want it quieter, especially on the highway. I think the next addition might be a H-pipe, and if that doesn't do it, I may consider either adding two bullet style mufflers ahead of the Hooker mufflers, or going with a Super Turbo style muffler.

Andrew
@projectgattato
The following users liked this post:
HILROD (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Short video of the new exhaust

www.instagram.com/p/B5VMRRjJyE0/
Old 12-02-2019, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,095 Likes on 2,411 Posts

The H-pipe WILL smooth it out, or at least knock off a lot of the rough edges. An X-pipe might do that too, though I have no direct experience with that.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

I doubt the crossover (of any type) will do much for volume. It will change the quality of the sound though --- subjective, but a HUGE step in the right direction. I'm not a fan of V8 sound sans crossover. After 11 different configurations on mine over the years, I finally realized that there simply was no aftermarket muffler that was going to be quiet enough for me. So I went OEM.....quiet with plenty of flow. Happy I did.

And --- nice work as usual Andrew!!!!
Old 12-02-2019, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
I doubt the crossover (of any type) will do much for volume. It will change the quality of the sound though --- subjective, but a HUGE step in the right direction. I'm not a fan of V8 sound sans crossover. After 11 different configurations on mine over the years, I finally realized that there simply was no aftermarket muffler that was going to be quiet enough for me. So I went OEM.....quiet with plenty of flow. Happy I did.

And --- nice work as usual Andrew!!!!
Michael,

Which OEM mufflers are you using?

Andrew
Old 12-02-2019, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

2015 Coyote 5.0L
Old 12-02-2019, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 330 Posts

Sounds great to me.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LSswap
Sounds great to me.
It sounds good, but in my old age I would want it quieter. Been looking ar various Super Turbo muffler options. I also think adding some sort of crossover pipe will help. these projects are never quite done.

Andrew
Old 12-08-2019, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

Would resonators help quiet or down or only help if resonance is a problem? I was planning on two in the tail pipe next to the gas tank if I’m not digging the sound/drone once I get there
Old 12-08-2019, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Would resonators help quiet or down or only help if resonance is a problem? I was planning on two in the tail pipe next to the gas tank if I’m not digging the sound/drone once I get there
I honestly do not know. My buddy Tom just installed resonators in the tailpipes, but I have not spoken with him about it yet. It would also be a shame to have to redo the tailpipes, since Herb did such an amazing job with them.

Andrew
Old 12-11-2019, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
It sounds good, but in my old age I would want it quieter. Been looking ar various Super Turbo muffler options. I also think adding some sort of crossover pipe will help. these projects are never quite done.
I added an H pipe and went to the largest case 3" Super Turbos available, coming from Ultra Flows. The case on my Super Turbos is much larger than what you're running, which provides more room for packing. That quieted my car down a ton, to the point that I could have a normal conversation with my passengers and hear a lot more squeaks and rattles than I was aware of before. They are still noisy though - you can hear the car coming, it's just much less obnoxious. If you want a quiet car, an OE muffler and some resonators would probably be the way to go. The problem is finding a place to package them.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

To Bandit’s point, a large part of the OEM/quiet comes from large cases. They can be challenging to package. I had to move the exits 90 degrees - to the side of the case.

Last edited by Michael Yount; 12-11-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)