Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover DiscoveryII

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Land Rover DiscoveryII

I have been searching like crazy for anyone who has completed this swap. Cannot find anyone! Land rovers are tanks everything on them are built to last forever except the engines are junk. Mine has a 4.6 v8 which feels like a 4 cylinder moving this 6000lb suv. I have been thinking about doing a 6.0L swap for a long time just really cannont find any information of anyone doing one. I am sure its possibly, a lot of modification required. Would obviously like to keep 4wd and would even know what transfer case and transmission to go with if not capable of adapting to the land rover hardware. Anyway here is a pic. If you guys could help me get going in the right direction I appreciate it.

Name:  IMAG0622_zpsed1c17f7.jpg
Views: 3547
Size:  57.8 KB
Old 05-13-2015, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you searched over in the Pirate4X4.com forms? I have been a big Toyota Land Cruiser guy since the early 90's, done a few V8 Chevy swaps. There has to be someone over on that site that has LS'ed a Disco. Also look on Advanced Adapters web site, they make a lot of trans and transfer case adapters.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Advanced Adapters makes this LR T-case to GM 4L80E adapter.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...transfer-case/

The one thing I know about the Disco's is the axles are not that stout. If I was building the truck. I would scrap the Disco drive train and put built 9 inch Ford front and rear. A built 700R or 6L80E to a Atlas Transfer case, all powered by a LS engine. Another route would be to ditch the Disco trans and transfer case for a GM 700R or 4L80E mated to a Land Cruiser Transfer Case. I do not know how well the LR T-cases like real V8 power, I know the LC stuff does well with V8 power. The LC's have offset diff's just like the LR's. Your weak point then would be the LR axles. Just my two cents, I spent the better part of my 20's and 30's building 4x4's for extreme rock crawling. My friend Jason Paule owns Twisted Customs and builds competition rock buggies for a living.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 2003 disco and thought about this swap as well.
Here is a thread with a 98 Range Rover swap, which is a really similar platform as your 03/04 disco you have there.
Hopefully, this is helpful.

Range Rover LS Swap

-Nick
Old 05-14-2015, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow great stuff so far guys thanks for the information!
Old 05-14-2015, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can find DIIs cheap with bad engines ranging from cracked oil pumps resulting in lock up or popped HG. May pick one up soon and start tear down. I am really motivated to do this project and will test my skills. I am a newbie in fabricating and machining but have access to skilled craftsmen and equipment to help out.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

HMMM or LR#

http://imgur.com/a/31LH3
Old 08-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Teching In

I have a running, driving LS swapped Discovery 2 that has been on the road for about a month, about 1500 miles on it since the key was turned. PM for more information if you are interested.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, hey Trailhead, don't be stingy with the info, there's more of us out here with a Disco. Love to see a build thread on it.

Clay
Old 08-08-2016, 07:24 AM
Teching In

It seems I am unable to post pictures here, my replies have been waiting for moderator approval. Anyhow, the swaps we are doing involve the 4.8 LR4 engine, and we are using the existing Bosch Motronic 5.2.1 ECM and existing ZFHP22 or 24 transmission as well. Granted, this does not produce mountains of power like an LS2 swap would, but this allows up to keep the car a Discovery. What it does provide is a modest power gain over the 4.0 / 4.6, and a more robust power plant that won't drop liners every other Saturday.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:19 AM
RYU
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Trailhead4x4
It seems I am unable to post pictures here, my replies have been waiting for moderator approval. Anyhow, the swaps we are doing involve the 4.8 LR4 engine, and we are using the existing Bosch Motronic 5.2.1 ECM and existing ZFHP22 or 24 transmission as well. Granted, this does not produce mountains of power like an LS2 swap would, but this allows up to keep the car a Discovery. What it does provide is a modest power gain over the 4.0 / 4.6, and a more robust power plant that won't drop liners every other Saturday.
Looking forward to hearing more for sure!
Old 10-07-2016, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I always liked these things. My friend had one years ago that was bent from an accident. We attached a chain to the front of it with the other end attached to the bucket of a big loader and pulled it straight by flooring it in reverse for 20 ft until the chain went tight, quite a few times. There was talk here about weak axles etc. I don't know much about em but they always seemed pretty godam beefy to me.

Trailhead, that's really cool. Interested in more info as well.

Quick Reply: Land Rover DiscoveryII