Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker SN95 Mustang LS swap system preview thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by speedshifter
AFCO. It’s a nice piece and fits awesome, but pretty sure it’s discontinued. Had the motor mounts modified to move the motor back 1.25” and down 0.25” so that my Procharger will clear the hood.
Does that combination center the engine in the car, or keep it in the factory offset position to the passenger side?
Old 09-08-2018, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Factory offset to passenger side.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for confirming, l'll make a note of that.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Toddoky, I'm planning on swapping my 95 mustang now. I'm going with a team z lsx kmember. I was looking to get the 71221020HKR engine mount and use the sn95 trans crossmember. The description on the mounts say they are for 79-93 but are listed under the 94-04 category. Really want to use your products with the great fitment of them on my 99. Thanks for any info. Also the mounts that come with the kmember from team z, what is the different with the 71221020HKR mounts?
Old 10-12-2018, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sloryd95
Toddoky, I'm planning on swapping my 95 mustang now. I'm going with a team z lsx kmember. I was looking to get the 71221020HKR engine mount and use the sn95 trans crossmember. The description on the mounts say they are for 79-93 but are listed under the 94-04 category. Really want to use your products with the great fitment of them on my 99. Thanks for any info. Also the mounts that come with the kmember from team z, what is the different with the 71221020HKR mounts?
Hey sloryd95. The 71221020HKR engine mounting brackets are specifically for use on Fox Bodies as their geometry ensures that the transmissions covered in the Fox Body LS swap system application will land correctly on the Hooker Blackheart Fox Body transmission crossmembers. They will not provide the correct engine positioning required to land the trans mount on the SN95 crossmembers in your car, or for the Hooker Blackheart SN95 headers to fit as intended in your car.

I am close to releasing similar LS engine mounting brackets for the AJE and Team Z K-members that I developed for use in the 1996-1998 SN95 and 1999-2004 New Edge swaps, but I have not validated their use in the 1994-95 cars. As you probably know, the transmission crossmember mounting points are the same on your 1995 as they are in the 1996-1998 cars, so the odds are good that you can use the engine mounting brackets I developed for the 1996-2004 cars and have no issues mounting your engine and transmission. The unknown compatibility factor with your application will be how your steering shaft position/angle will affect clearances with the Hooker Blackheart SN95 headers if you plan to used them.

That is unknown since the 94-95 cars were factory equipped with a hybrid set-up of a Fox Body K-member (and a steering shaft that is close to the same design) and an SN95 transmission crossmember. All of the Hooker Blackheart LS swap engine mounting brackets and transmission crossmembers maintain the factory engine/transmission offset in the car and the Hooker Blackheart headers and were prototyped to fit with the engine in that position. The Team Z engine brackets relocate the engine towards the center of the car, which make them non-compatible for use with the Hooker Blackheart headers since all four tubes of the driver side assembly rout behind the steering shaft with little room to spare.

They would also be non-compatible with the Hooker Blackheart transmission crossmembers since using those components together would place the engine/transmission crooked in the chassis (bad move). This is the whole reason why I developed our own engine mounting brackets for use with the AJE and Team Z K-members.

Todd

Last edited by Toddoky; 10-12-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Hey sloryd95. The 71221020HKR engine mounting brackets are specifically for use on Fox Bodies as their geometry ensures that the transmissions covered in the Fox Body LS swap system application will land correctly on the Hooker Blackheart Fox Body transmission crossmembers. They will not provide the correct engine positioning required to land the trans mount on the SN95 crossmembers in your car, or for the Hooker Blackheart SN95 headers to fit as intended in your car.

I am close to releasing similar LS engine mounting brackets for the AJE and Team Z K-members that I developed for use in the 1996-1998 SN95 and 1999-2004 New Edge swaps, but I have not validated their use in the 1994-95 cars. As you probably know, the transmission crossmember mounting points are the same on your 1995 as they are in the 1996-1999 cars, so the odds are good that you can use the engine mounting brackets I developed for the 1996-2004 cars and have no issues mounting your engine and transmission. The unknown compatibility factor with your application will be how your steering shaft position/angle will affect clearances with the Hooker Blackheart SN95 headers if you plan to used them.

That is unknown since the 94-95 cars were factory equipped with a hybrid set-up of a Fox Body K-member (and a steering shaft that is close to the same design) and an SN95 transmission crossmember. All of the Hooker Blackheart LS swap engine mounting brackets and transmission crossmembers maintain the factory engine/transmission offset in the car and the Hooker Blackheart headers and were prototyped to fit with the engine in that position. The Team Z engine brackets relocate the engine towards the center of the car, which make them non-compatible for use with the Hooker Blackheart headers since all four tubes of the driver side assembly rout behind the steering shaft with little room to spare.

They would also be non-compatible with the Hooker Blackheart transmission crossmembers since using those components together would place the engine/transmission crooked in the chassis (bad move). This is the whole reason why I developed our own engine mounting brackets for use with the AJE and Team Z K-members.

Todd
Thank you for the quick reply!!! I will be looking forward to the release of those engine mounts!
Old 10-25-2018, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

I recently spent a few hours evaluating the compatibility of the components in the Hooker Blackheart Fox Body and SN95/New Edge Mustang LS swap systems with the UPR Products Fox Body mod motor K-member and have to report that the Hooker Blackheart Fox Body LS swap headers are not compatible for use with the this particular K-member in the Fox Body application.

The reason for the incompatibility stems from the Hooker Blackheart Fox Body LS swap headers being designed around the engine stand geometry of the stock SB Ford Fox body K-member, so they will not route around any K-member that uses the later mod-motor engine stands.

If you are an SN95 or New Edge owner with a UPR mod motor K-member in your car you now have another option for LS swap parts as the Hooker Blackheart SN95/New Edge LS swap headers fit in that application with the UPR K-member as they were designed around the mod-motor engine stand geometry. The use of the Hooker Blackheart SN95/New Edge LS engine adapter plates will be needed to duplicate this fitment; the headers will not fit with the engine location provided by the UPR engine adapter plates (they move the engine further rearward.

The last piece of info to add is even though the mock-up of the Hooker Blackheart SN95/New edge LS swap headers and engine adapter plates with the UPR K-member was successful, the engine installed engine height was noted to be approximately 5/16" higher than it is when using the same Hooker Blackheart engine adapter plates on the stock 1996-04, or Maximum Motorsports MMKM-2 K-members. The user will need to decide if that geometric difference is of importance to them.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

As a supplement to my previous post, here's some images that depict the Hooker Blackheart SN95/New Edge Mustang LS swap headers and LS engine adapter plates being used with the UPR Products 1996-04 Mustang K-member.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Todd I have found a 94 GT with team z k member for the original 5.0 motor. What mounts do I need to put an ls and powerglide in the car and thanks. Jarhead
Old 01-14-2019, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jarheadl34
Todd I have found a 94 GT with team z k member for the original 5.0 motor. What mounts do I need to put an ls and powerglide in the car and thanks. Jarhead
Hello Jarhead34. You MAY be able to use the Hooker Blackheart 71221013HKR engine mounting brackets that were developed for use with the stock and Maximum Motorsports MMKM-1 K-members, but I can't say with certainty how successfully that would work out as I didn't validate the compatibility of that specific Team Z K-member with the Hooker Blackheart SN95 LS swap system components during the development process.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Todd for the quick reply. In your October 12 post you talked about bringing out mounts for 94-95 cars with team z k member, does that mean mounts that would work with a team z 5.0 mount like I asked about? The 94 GT is really nice and has lots of suspension upgrades and I am hoping for someway to put an LS in this 94 without buying a new k member.
Jarhead
Old 01-14-2019, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

One more thing Todd, how do the Hooker cast manifolds fit? Any pictures? Thanks again
Jarhead
Old 01-14-2019, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

The development/validation of engine mounting brackets for use with the Team Z engine swap K-member in a 94-95 car has not taken place at this point as no car has been available to be able to validate the fitment. I have developed LS engine mounting brackets for use with the Team Z swap K-member in 96-04 Mustangs, but I cannot confirm that they will work equally well in 94-95 Mustangs due to the hybrid nature of the build of those cars. Swapping an LS engine into a 94-95 car using the Hooker Blackheart system on the stock K-member requires using Fox Body engine mounting brackets with SN95 headers due to the K-member, steering shaft firewall exit point and transmission crossmember receiver bracket design differences between the Fox Body and SN95 cars.

The Team Z swap K-member engine mounting brackets for the 96-04 cars brings the engine forward and upward slightly from the Fox body engine bracket location, so that may or may not have an affect on the header fitment and I can say if it will until I get a chance to validate it sometime in the future.

The Hooker exhaust manifolds should fit without any issues and if I were you and already had that Team Z 5.0 K-member in the car, I would just use the 71221013HKR engine brackets and add/remove material from the K-member mounting pads as needed to get things to play nice together. At worst, I would anticipate that you may have to grind the main engine mount stud slots a little to lengthen them on their bottom ends and drill a needed hole through the K-member plates that does not exist in them in their current form.

Here's a couple of photos that depict the Hooker cast iron manifolds in the SN95 Chassis and what the 71221013HKR engine mounting brackets look like installed on a stock 1985-95 K-member.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you Todd for the information and pictures. Will I have to use a Holley dash 3 swap pan or will my 302-2 pan work?
Jar
Old 01-14-2019, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

302-3 will be required to clear the steering rack if the Team Z 5.0 K-member maintains the stock rack height mounting position. The Team Z engine swap K-member and the AJE K-member both lower the rack mounting position by more than an inch and would allow you to use the 302-2 oil pan, so that's something to consider. However, I believe the bump steer geometry provided by the stock K-member and aftermarket 5.0 K-members designed for the 5.0 applications provide superior bump steer geometry at the outer wheel ends for 85-95 cars.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok Todd here is another question, will a 96 up Mustang GT using the stock k member and my 302-2 pan work using your mounts? Now that I have started looking there are 96 up running and just dead GTs everywhere for cheap. My Cutlass restoration is going to take a long time yet so I just want a cheap chassis that I can run my existing stuff in for now. For sure I do not want to run a Fox body, just the 96 up style.thanks Todd
Jarhead
Old 01-15-2019, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes, choosing to use a 96-04 car to base your project on changes things greatly as it gets you away from having to deal with the hybrid geometry of the 94-95 cars. The stock K-member in the 96-04 cars mounts the rack a little over an inch lower than it is on the 1979-95 K-member and as such will allow you to use your Holley 302-2 pan. You'll need to use the Hooker Blackheart 71221011HKR adapter plates with Prothane 6-504 poly motor mounts to mount an LS engine in that application.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Todd that is exactly what I needed to know.
Jarhead
Old 09-23-2020, 08:22 PM

Todd, im new here and I apologize if I ask any questions that have been answered.

I am using a stock subframe, but upr style mounts. First question is, i know you said your headers don't work with it, but what is the interference issue? Obviously they won't have clearance issue with the subframe if the engine is further back with the upr mounts, so is it the firewall? Is it something that a little hammering might fix? I dont mind beating on my car, its a full race car with just the bare minimums. (Stock subframe for rules in a certain series)

Second question is, did you guys test anything with qa1 subframe at all?

I tried calling to get ahold of you or messaging the fb page for hooker but no response.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:32 AM
TECH Junkie

The answer to your question is firewall and steering shaft shaft interference. There is close to an inch of difference in the fore/aft location of the UPR and Hooker Blackheart adapter plates and I used up every bit of available space to get the Hooker Blackheart headers to fit the car with the engine in the position provided by the Hooker Blackheart adapter plates.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (09-24-2020)

Quick Reply: New Hooker SN95 Mustang LS swap system preview thread