Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tablet gauge cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tablet gauge cluster?

Is it possible to use a tablet as a gauge cluster using the OBD plug?

This would be going in an older hot rod body so the factory gauge cluster is kinda meh. I think the tablet would look different and be easy to mount.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Torque, DashCommand, etc.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Torque Pro and any obd2 Bluetooth adapter
Old 10-09-2016, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I am doing this also in the caddy, if you don't already know there are bluetooth adapters to buy for this , (no wires) there about 30 bucks, and just make sure the adapter you buy is compatible with whatever app/program you download
Old 10-09-2016, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup.. I use my Tablet and Torque Pro with a Bluetooth/Wifi ODBII adapter..

Old 10-09-2016, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bczee

Do you keep it in the car all the time? I'm wondering if there's a way to control it on/off with ignition?
Old 10-10-2016, 07:44 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by slocaddy
Do you keep it in the car all the time? I'm wondering if there's a way to control it on/off with ignition?
Yes and No.

You can leave it in the car, hardwired to charge on a 12v ignition source.
Set it to stay on when being charged and shut off after 10 seconds of no activity.

When you start the car, it'll see the charge signal and turn on. When you shut off the car, it will turn itself of in 10 seconds.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Yes and No.

Set it to stay on when being charged and shut off after 10 seconds of no activity.

When you start the car, it'll see the charge signal and turn on. When you shut off the car, it will turn itself of in 10 seconds.
Thats good enough for me! Can't wait to get mine going (gotta find the tablet). ........
Old 10-10-2016, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee

where in the dash is that located? anymore pics
Old 10-10-2016, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Yes and No.

I've never seen a "stay on when being charged" thing before. But assuming you're right, you'll still have to turn the tablet off and start the app each time you get in. I was doing this for a while with Torque but it got old fairly quickly.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I've never seen a "stay on when being charged" thing before. But assuming you're right, you'll still have to turn the tablet off and start the app each time you get in. I was doing this for a while with Torque but it got old fairly quickly.
Lots of tablets now have this feature in the settings. Most phones/tablets turn the screen on when plugged in to charge. You can enable/disable this feature.

There are also a couple of dozen apps that you download and they run in the background. They can control screen on/off features, run apps as screensavers, use smart-sleep features, etc. I use one of these on my tablet for Torque.

As long as your battery lasts long enough that the tablet doesn't die in between drives with it in sleep mode (2-3 days), you don't have to turn it off.
On the other hand, you can hard wire it to charge constantly, and use one of the above mentioned apps to turn the screen on whenever the power source gets interrupted, like when you start cranking.

I have a tablet I'm installing in an 80 Malibu that has ShadowDash installed for Microsquirt. I had to figure all of this out before-hand to make sure it would work seamlessly.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Hmmm, interesting. I obviously haven't gotten to in depth with apps and power etc. The thought of sticking a tablet in my dash on my Silverado has crossed my mind a bunch of times though. ACCURATE TEMP!! That's what I'm after. Factory gauge is dog S, and the truck doesn't have a trans temp gauge, but I get one in Torque.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Hmmm, interesting. I obviously haven't gotten to in depth with apps and power etc. The thought of sticking a tablet in my dash on my Silverado has crossed my mind a bunch of times though. ACCURATE TEMP!! That's what I'm after. Factory gauge is dog S, and the truck doesn't have a trans temp gauge, but I get one in Torque.
Thank the car stereo guys. When they realized you can pull out a $700 flip out LCD stereo and sell it to pay for an $80 android tablet with internet, maps, games, youtube, and 32 GB of storage for your music... they started finding clever ways to make it work seamlessly. Now there are tons of 2-channel amplifiers out there than run off of a headphone jack lol.

Look up the Autosleeper app. It was one of the first good apps for people installing tablets in their dashboards. Turns on/off automatically based on changes in the charge. Tablet shuts off 3-5 seconds after car is off, and automatically wakes back up when you start the car.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Good info, thanks for that.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The app I use is OBD Fusion and I monitor TPMS with an app as well. My music is on the IPad.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I was wanting to do something like this for my car but read there was a large delay between actual reading and when it shows on the dash. Is this correct? I'd love to do this if it's pretty seamless.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:24 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
I was wanting to do something like this for my car but read there was a large delay between actual reading and when it shows on the dash. Is this correct? I'd love to do this if it's pretty seamless.
It depends on the adapter you use. Some of the Bluetooth adapters are very slow. Some are quicker. There are a couple of cables you can buy that connect directly to your tablet.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I just got Torque and bluetooth interface. I noticed it has heads up display capability (reverse images). Has anyone used this? Is there a reflective windshield coating needed?
Old 10-11-2016, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
I just got Torque and bluetooth interface. I noticed it has heads up display capability (reverse images). Has anyone used this? Is there a reflective windshield coating needed?
I have used it for fun on a few Auto-x laps... but haven't done any Road laps.. there are many add-on.. just search or browse for them. I just used some velco straps and strapped it to the passenger head rest... Passenger POV .. LOL.

I don't have it permanently mounted, As I used it as a Tablet and on both of my LS swaps.. I just get creative on mounting with straps and stuff.

BC

Quick Reply: tablet gauge cluster?