Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any suggestions on the best gas tank to use in my ls1 swap into 67 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any suggestions on the best gas tank to use in my ls1 swap into 67 Camaro?

I'm swapping an LS1 into my 67 Camaro. I waS looking for suggestions on the best gas tank to use for the best price?? Also what the best suggested pressure should be? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CamaroLance; 10-09-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

Just finished a write-up on using your stock tank. If you can weld, or know someone that can, you can do the whole for just over $200 using a Vaporworx modified 5th gen fuel pump.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...camaro-tank.html
Old 10-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I was positive I made a reply to this post earlier....

Tanks Inc sells bolt-in EFI tanks for your Camaro. Tell them you want the 267 Walbro pump.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Why the '267 pump?
Old 10-11-2016, 06:14 AM
Restricted User

Its technically the biggest Walbro 400 series pump, and its rated for E85. He mentioned ethanol fuels when he posted this topic in another section.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses I've received so far. I did post this question in another forum cause I wasn't sure which one was the best to post it in. Here is the entire question...I'm swapping an LS1 into my 67 Camaro. I was looking for suggestions on the best gas tank to use for the best price?? Also what's the best suggested pressure? I'd like to know what other people did? Also what do people think about Teflon lines (power flex series by Russell) for the ethanol fuel's comparing to pro classic hose by Russell? I heard ethanol fuels break down rubber composite lines. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you JoeNova for responding to me on both forums. I'm curious what you think about the Spectra Premium GM32AFI fuel tank and any input on the teflon lines?
Old 10-11-2016, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get a Tanks Inc EFI-ready tank for $210

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd347.htm
Old 10-12-2016, 08:46 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by CamaroLance
Thank you JoeNova for responding to me on both forums. I'm curious what you think about the Spectra Premium GM32AFI fuel tank and any input on the teflon lines?
I'm not a fan of spectra tanks.

If you want an EFI tank, you can have Tanks Inc build you one for about $500 that is E85 ready with a massive pump and will bolt right in.

No input on Teflon lines, I've never used them for anything. I either use Push-lok hose or 1/2" brake line for most of my fuel systems.

LS engines are designed to operate on ~58 PSI fuel pressure.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i have that exact spectra tank under my '66 c10. it sucks. it starves the stock 5.3 at anything under 1/2 tank going around freeway cloverleafs

whatever you do, dont waste your money on that turd
Old 10-14-2016, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

I had heard the same things about the Spectra tanks, that is really unfortunate they perform as they do. It was a really promising swap tank.

OP, it may help us to know what you price range is and what your capabilities are? For example, the swap that I did using the stock 5th gen fuel pump all in set me back just over $200.00, with $160 of that being the fuel pump and parts from Vaporworx.

I am on a very tight budget, so I did quite a bit of research before I attempted the fuel tank recess and adding the 5th gen pump. It is my opinion that the best bang for your buck using the DIY method is how I approached my tank.

If you wanted more of a bolt in method, you could use the stamped tank from Ricks, and use the 5th gen pump and conversion from Vaporworx. That would set you back roughly $600 and would bolt right into your car.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
I had heard the same things about the Spectra tanks, that is really unfortunate they perform as they do. It was a really promising swap tank.

OP, it may help us to know what you price range is and what your capabilities are? For example, the swap that I did using the stock 5th gen fuel pump all in set me back just over $200.00, with $160 of that being the fuel pump and parts from Vaporworx.

I am on a very tight budget, so I did quite a bit of research before I attempted the fuel tank recess and adding the 5th gen pump. It is my opinion that the best bang for your buck using the DIY method is how I approached my tank.

If you wanted more of a bolt in method, you could use the stamped tank from Ricks, and use the 5th gen pump and conversion from Vaporworx. That would set you back roughly $600 and would bolt right into your car.

Let us know what you decide.
I agree completely with this and did the same thing on mine except a threw a few bucks at a friend to do the welding. The 5th gen module works awesome for these swaps and doesn't require the return line. Plus on mine, I was able to use the factory 5th gen module fuel level sender to work with my Dakota Digital gauge setup.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

JoeNova's reply so far is going to be the best option for me. I'm gonna look into whether or not it is important to have a baffle inside the tank, so the pump doesn't run dry, as some people were talking about. Hearing the spectrum tank was no good is very interesting to me. I wasn't aware of that. I would think a tank should have a baffle which is the reason why it wouldn't run dry. When you mention about making your tank fuel injection... who's putting the baffling...are you?
Old 10-15-2016, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm personally probably going to run one of Holley's Sniper EFI tanks. They offer them in stock dimensions and also one with cut corners. I like that they resemble the factory appearance and that they are also powdercoated. The price isn't too bad either.

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...s/parts/19-100

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...s/parts/19-101
Old 10-15-2016, 05:36 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm confused. Are we talking best or cheapest or best value or what.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroLance
JoeNova's reply so far is going to be the best option for me. I'm gonna look into whether or not it is important to have a baffle inside the tank, so the pump doesn't run dry, as some people were talking about. Hearing the spectrum tank was no good is very interesting to me. I wasn't aware of that. I would think a tank should have a baffle which is the reason why it wouldn't run dry. When you mention about making your tank fuel injection... who's putting the baffling...are you?
The 5th gen module doesn't need a baffle since it has it's own enclosure to hold fuel around the pump pickup. This module also has an inlet line that I connected to walbro corner pickups inside my tank.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

I'm trying to get ideas for best quality for the value. I'm not in a position to spend a ton of money yet I don't want to waste my money on a crappy product either. Cutting and customizing a tank is not something i really want to do. I would prefer something I can just bolt in since they offer so many different products for this swap.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If your fabricating skills and time allotment and money is a concern, as mentioned the Ricks stamped steel fuel tank with a 5th gen. module is your best G.M. factory reliable bet. Don't forget with the Spectra, Holley, Tanks Inc. you need to add another ~ $100.00 for the fuel pressure/regulator filter along with fittings and extra fuel return line. I guarantee you none of the aftermarket options are as reliable as the G.M. 5th gen. module. The 5th gen. modules are plentiful used at very good prices on the 5th gen. forums and eBay, you can convert the 5th gen. fuel module to work at 58 p.s.i. for around $65.00 with the vaporworx adaptor and a 4th gen. internal fuel pressure regulator.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

So you saying ricks makes a tank to accommodate the fifth GEN float and pump assembly? Fabrication skills are really not as much of an issue to me as me being concerned that the tank doesn't seep fumes. If there is a slight chance my welds aren't as good as a professional that specializes in gas tank welding, I would be concerned about fumes. When you talk about the fuel regulator...is that internal with the float assembly? isn't there a fuel regulator built-in to the fuel filter?.. ex. Corvette gas filter
Old 10-15-2016, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Also...any chance you have a part # on that Rick's tank? Thanks

Quick Reply: Any suggestions on the best gas tank to use in my ls1 swap into 67 Camaro?