Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What company has the GPS speedo conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What company has the GPS speedo conversion?

Trying to find the company that sells the GPS based conversion that allows me to run the factory 67 GTO speedometer with the LS1/ 4l60e transmission. I searched for over an hour with no luck. Please help.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I've never seen a GPS to mechanical conversion, but Dakota makes exactly what you need to make your setup work with your new trans and old speedo.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd886.htm

Here's the summitracing link

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-ecd-100-1
Old 10-20-2016, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 1964ss
i've never seen a gps to mechanical conversion, but dakota makes exactly what you need to make your setup work with your new trans and old speedo.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd886.htm

here's the summitracing link

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-ecd-100-1

x 2......................................
Old 10-20-2016, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Speedhut
Old 10-20-2016, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 350SS
Speedhut
That is really no different then the Dakota box and it's more expensive. You still need a GPS signal to drive it that is not included. It would however install and wire to the ECM like the Dakota box.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

you're absolutely right, esp with the price difference... i honestly didn't even look at the dakota digital part, i just recalled that speedhut had a new product that said mechanical speedo and gps so i posted it up
Old 10-21-2016, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jags that runs sells an adaptor that lets you switch to a mechanical tailhousing

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...g-adapter.html

I would avoid cable boxes if at all possible. I've read more complaints about them not being reliable

By the way I think you want to say VSS to mechanical, not GPS. GPS doesn't care what transmission you have.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What company has the GPS speedo conversion?

I know this thread is a bit old, but thought I'd pop in and offer info on Classic Speed. This is a device that drives your original (or any) mechanical speedometer via GPS - totally car independent.

I invented and patented this to solve a problem I had with nearly every classic I had - an inaccurate speedometer. Transmission & diff swaps, different wheels / tires, or simply a swapped speedo caused the speedo to read incorrectly. And after putting so much into a restoration or restomod, I wanted the speedo to show me just how fast I was going. Not to much to ask, is it?
Old 02-08-2018, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Wirewheels - Got a video of a speedometer with this conversion working?
Old 02-08-2018, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Pretty cool
Old 02-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SliderR1
Wirewheels - Got a video of a speedometer with this conversion working?
Hi SliderR1,
We made a video, but after reviewing it, all you see is the speedometer keeping in sync with a handheld GPS... not sure that really shows you anything special.
Feel free to give us a call, take a read through the installations we have listed on our website, or reach out to our users through other various forums - www.mgexp.com, www.jcna.com for example - or Good Guys and Classic Motorsports latest magazines. Classic Motorsports did a nice 2 page article on Classic Speed in their May 2017 issue. This is listed under BUZZ! on our homepage.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Slider -- I just ordered one of the Classic digital GPS to analog boxes.....looking forward to installing it on mine and (finally) divorcing speedo operation and accuracy from tranny/gearing/tire size choices.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Michael - Welcome to family of Classic Speed customers! I'm sure you'll find this to be the perfect solution to the challenges you described. As I'm sure you've heard us at CAI say many times; we want you to be delighted with your purchase! I think you'll find the custom speedo cable we have designed will be a perfect fit.

As we've said before, please don't hesitate to call with any questions. We look forward to your installation pics!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:24 PM
Teching In

WW - thanks for the reply. I'm curious if the speedo still 'bounces' like on a regular cable driven speedo. I'm working on an LS conversion on a '63 vette - which has an extremely shallow speedometer due to the cone shape. I've found very few gauge shops willing to convert it due to the clearances, so I'm still researching my options. I want to keep the original gauges - just re-work them somehow to function with the new electronics.

Michael - keep us posted on your install!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SliderR1
WW - thanks for the reply. I'm curious if the speedo still 'bounces' like on a regular cable driven speedo. I'm working on an LS conversion on a '63 vette - which has an extremely shallow speedometer due to the cone shape. I've found very few gauge shops willing to convert it due to the clearances, so I'm still researching my options. I want to keep the original gauges - just re-work them somehow to function with the new electronics.

Michael - keep us posted on your install!
Slider - keep in mind that the speedo is still cable driven with Classic Speed. CS takes the place of the drive source (transmission, wheel, diff, etc) and drives the speedo (via cable) from a true speed - GPS. The bouncing seen in a speedo is almost always caused by the speedo cable itself. The inner cable is essentially a double wound spring that will twist and release if worn, of inferior quality, or if the speedo is sticky. A quick and easy check is to remove the inner cable from the sheath, carefully check for any burrs or worn spots, lube with a fine silicone based lubricant, insert and retry. The second most common source of bounce is the speedo itself, and often indicates the need for a rebuild.

I hope this helps!
Old 02-21-2018, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Will keep you informed Slider - still trying to decide between an interior install vs. under the hood. Once I do that I can provide Classic a cable length and they'll make a cable. I agree with Brian - bounce is almost always worn out cable. EASY -- for a very reasonable fee the folks at Classic will make you a custom cable that will mate up on the speedo end and on the Classic box end so you can mount the new GPS driver where ever you like. And then you'll have a new cable -- which should eliminate the bounce.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Sounds like you might want to keep the Classic box as close to the speedo as possible, which in turn keeps the cable as short as possible. Common sense, I know.....
Old 02-21-2018, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually, no, I don't want to keep it as short as possible. That would mean putting it under the hood and navigating the firewall openings with the car, essentially, already built is a challenge. Besides -- either way (under passenger seat or under hood) the new cable will be shorter than the (essentially) OEM set up currently is running from speedo to tranny. 'Course, that OEM 78" long cable is only at mile 225,000 and year 36 of its successful "beta" test....

Now - Mr. Corvette may have a different sitcheeashun to navigate.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Well, I meant as short as practically possible. I was actually thinking somewhere under the dash? Unless there is no room there either... OR it would have to bend too tight.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:42 AM
TECH Junkie

And, remember, the GPS signal drives an electric motor, so there is some noise that some may find objectionable. Although I suspect for most on the site, muffler choice means they'd never hear it.

I'm gonna get the unit, put it in calibration mode so I can hear it -- then make my choice about under hood vs. interior mount and have them make the cable accordingly.

Quick Reply: What company has the GPS speedo conversion?