Sponsored by:

New member doing an LS1 swap into Miata

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member doing an LS1 swap into Miata

Hi there,
I am new to this forum and just signed up.
Wanted to touch base with existing members.

At the moment I am in the process of doing a drivetrain swap from a 2000 Z28 SS 6 speed into my 2000 Mazda Miata. When it is done I expect to have a fun 350 HP 6 speed street legal go-kart.
Hope to have the car finished and street ready by about October 2017.

Have already used this forum for some of my questions/problems and found out that the resources available are just awesome.

The engine and transmission came from an unmolested 2000 Z28 with 6 speed with 83,000 miles on the odometer. Haven't made it to the point of having the swap running yet but based on the condition of the original car I feel I will have many years of reliable fun.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Good Luck!
Old 04-27-2017, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Pics! I'd like a swapped FD3 but the prices are through the roof, a Miata is certainly the next best thing and a convertible to boot! Who's stuff are you using and how far have you gotten?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:02 PM
Launching!

sounds like a fun project. i remember watching turbo tom do this with a crate ls3 but should be pretty close to the same for you.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

bobfig, I was just going to let him know about Toms post. Plenty of info there.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Tom's YouTube video series was the inspiration for me to do a similar conversion.
My build thread is located on V8Miata dot net.
At this time I have the car torn apart and the drivetrain prepped to install.
Have received all the necessary parts from Flyin Miata except for the last few parts that are sourced from V8 Roadsters that just happen to be essential pieces to actually fit the engine into the chassis.
The wiring is the part that spooks me. Have been considering ordering a custom harness rather than modifying the Z28 harness.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, that series is a huge inspiration! Wishing I'd held onto one of my past Miata lol. Swap doesn't look super hard overall. Got a link to the build thread?
Old 04-28-2017, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Yeah, that series is a huge inspiration! Wishing I'd held onto one of my past Miata lol. Swap doesn't look super hard overall. Got a link to the build thread?
Build Thread
http://www.v8miata.net/general-motor...d-getrag-3104/

The build is far and away the hardest swap I have ever done, mostly because I am fully committed to making the car look and feel as much like the original until you raise the hood or get on the throttle. Keeping the factory instrument cluster and integrating the LS1 wiring into the Miata wiring. Much more complicated than the old school method of cutting and hacking and hooking up a distributor wire and fuel line and cutting the hood for air cleaner clearance.

Last edited by B Gordon; 04-28-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

I do have one question for anybody who is sharp about where stuff is located on this website.

I am seriously considering purchasing a new LS1 wiring harness rather than modifying the 17 year old harness. Don't seem to find a specific area for wiring harness questions.

Where on here would questions about wiring harnesses be located?
Old 04-28-2017, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by B Gordon
I do have one question for anybody who is sharp about where stuff is located on this website.

I am seriously considering purchasing a new LS1 wiring harness rather than modifying the 17 year old harness. Don't seem to find a specific area for wiring harness questions.

Where on here would questions about wiring harnesses be located?
Cool project!

Most harness questions are answered right here in the conversion forum. If you've got the Z28 harness I wouldn't hesitate at all to use it. They are damn near already a stand alone harness so you will just need to remove the unwanted wires and at that time you can inspect the condition of the rest.

LT1swap has all the pinout info you need.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply.
I have visited LT1swap and printed out a bunch of the wiring harness information on how to thin out the harness and what the specific connections go to. In fact, I have already done that to my harness and have the ends labeled.
After spending a couple of evenings doing that I am simply not happy with the age of the wiring. In several cases where some engine heat was transferred to the wiring the plastic seems brittle. Also, the connections no longer match the components I will be using on a couple. I would much prefer longer wire loom to my ECU so that it can be mounted behind the passenger seat rather than being installed inside the engine compartment, as is done with most Miata conversions.
Rather than splice and tape I feel much more comfortable with just pushing the "Easy" button and purchasing a custom harness, hence my question.

Is there an area where new custom purchased harnesses are discussed and reviewed?

What I am actually looking for is recommendations on where to buy a good quality aftermarket custom harness made from all new components.
I found this place
http://store.custombuiltmotors.com/e...d-oem-ecm.html
and this place
https://www.psiconversion.com/produc...6-th350-700r4/
from checking out youtube videos but have no idea if they are good quality products.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Ended up using a Painless Wiring extended length harness and am VERY happy with the decision.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Thought I might as well do an update on my LS Miata swap.

The car has been up and running for about 9 months now.
For anybody considering doing a similar swap all I can say is
GO FOR IT ! ! ! !

This car is the most fun I have ever had with 4 wheels attached.
It has been so satisfying to build and so enjoyable to drive that I made the decision a few weeks ago to sell the Mustang and buy a truck as my second set of wheels.

Quick Reply: New member doing an LS1 swap into Miata