Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Position Sensor Help On GTO LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Cam Position Sensor Help On GTO LS Swap

Okay, here's what I've got, and hopefully you's guys can point me in the right direction...

I've got a 2007 6.0 engine. I'm trying to run a 2001 (411) PCM. My engine has the CMP sensor in the timing cover. I've had the correct 24X reluctor ring pressed onto the crank, and I'm using the EARLY CKP sensor (from a 2001 5.3L Silverado). I have the correct 1X cam gear. This was verified, and double, and triple checked.

Here are the questions;
1. I've heard that I have to swap/switch wire positions when using an EARLY wiring harness & computer with the timing cover mounted CMP sensor. Which wires get swapped to where? I assume I can just re-pin them at the PCM to correct this.

2. I've heard that the EARLY CMP sensors are 12V+, and that the LATE 2007 & later CMP sensor are 5V+... I have the LATE sensor as it came with the '07 engine. How do I visually identify that I have the early, or late sensor? If I have the LATE sensor, can it work with the 2001 411 PCM? If not, what vehicle can I order the correct CMP sensor for/from???????
Old 07-31-2019, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

I've been reading and found this;

"Gen IV engines mount the CMP sensor in the front timing cover and get a signal from the face of the camshaft timing sprocket. Early Gen IV engines are equipped with a 24x crankshaft reluctor and 1x camshaft reluctor. These engines use the same CMP sensor and timing cover as the later engines equipped with a 58x crankshaft reluctor and 4x camshaft reluctor. The CMP sensor output (1x or 4x)
is determined by the signal surface area of the camshaft timing sprocket."

Courtesy of; https://www.lsenginediy.com/cranksha...signals-guide/

So, does this mean that the entire 12V+ or 5V+. I hope my 2007 CMP sensor works with my 2001 411 PCM.

I also found this;
On cam sensor, you have 3 wires in line. Swap 1 and 3 over.

I will go back to the PCM, and simply swap the wires for pin 1 & 3 in the CMP connector, but do it at the PCM pins.

If anyone sees any issues with the way I'm going about this-please let me know! I'd like to have just ONE new engine start up go as planned.. You know.. The engine actually starts..
Old 07-31-2019, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

24 x and 58 x use same (CAM)sensor if in the (NON VVT) timing cover.. Reference voltage no concern. cam sensor A - 5/12 volt reference
B-Low reference (ground)
C-Signal output
when you look at the CAM sensor connector read left to right when the latch is on top
In other words the first two wires =5/12 volts w/ key on. (cam sensor CONNECTOR UNPLUGGED)
a to battery negative = 5/12 volts
b to battery positive = 5/12 volts
a to b = 5/12 volts
If you are uncertain and do not want to probe wires SEE LT1SWAP.COM FOR PIN OUTS AT ECM CONNECTOR and check continuity from ecm connector to cam position sensor connector.
be certain key is off, battery disconnected and ecm and cam sensors disconnected when conducting test
Old 07-31-2019, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Okay.. Is the VVT/DOD CAM sensor different? When I was taking the engine apart I did not think I was going to be using the timing cover again and I threw it away.. Then, when I got the block back from the machine shop, I realized there was no provision at the rear of the block for the cam sensor. I then had to purchase a used timing cover, with the hole for the cam sensor-unknown what type of engine it came off of. Then I purchased a CAM sensor for a 2007 5.3L engine to work with this cover. Not sure if the CAM sensor, or cover, are either, or both, VVT/DOD pieces...
Old 07-31-2019, 11:31 AM
Teching In

same sensor go to summit racing and select VVT delete kit for ls just to see the difference between VVT and non VVT timing covers. depends if you have VVT or not. non vvt is a flat cover w/ sensor hole. VVT is deep cover with cam phaser on it. distinctly different.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

To complicate things more, are you using the little jumper harness that the OEM engine had in the front? That harness actually swaps pins A and C...

Andrew
Old 07-31-2019, 01:10 PM
Teching In

great point there Andrew. Indeed, verify what Andrew has to say if your cover utilizes the metal bracket/harness assembly. Check and double check. In other words, check even if it a direct connect to sensor. Check if it isn't and then check all again. Better to find these things prior to attempting start up. I like to test injector pulse w noid light and coils pulse w in line spark tester prior to attempted start up. We all do things differently sometimes.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

No, I'm not using the factory extension that plugs into the CMP sensor on one end, and then the other end attaches to the factory wiring harness. I'm going straight from the PCM to the sensor. I will definitely switch the A & C wires for the connector at the PCM.

I will still need to check and see if the cover I have installed (and painted!!!!) is a VVT, or NON-VVT cover.. Here's hoping my luck actually holds out for once..

See my next post on fuel injector adapters...
Old 07-31-2019, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

If the cover has a vvt actuator, then it's a vvt cover :-P

Non vvt covers are flat.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Pretty sure you need to use the LS2 "half moon" upper gear. I run an LS3 front cover with 24x crank wheel. It required a half moon upper timing gear to work with my 2000 PCM. Also swapped the 1 and 3 wire as mentioned above.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Reckless, yes, I am using the half-moon cam gear.. So that part is 100% correct. I just have to swap A & C wires. Looking at the timing cover, it is FLAT, and has not VVT actuator. I believe it came off a GTO that was 2004 model year. I think I'm set at this point. I'm still looking for LS2 to LS1 adapters.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

All I had to do was run an LS2 timing cover which has the CPS and buy an extension harness to connect my CPS connector on the engine harness to the timing cover. No pinning of wires on the ECM here!