Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Chevelle GTO Radiator? LS1 Camaro Radiator question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 Chevelle GTO Radiator? LS1 Camaro Radiator question.

Hello all,

To my knowledge I've researched all the radiator/electric fan fan options.

The focus is reliability, available replacement parts (as it will be driven a lot), and of course cost effective.

I had settled on an LS1 Camaro set up with the only down side being the radiator hose crossing from top driver side to water pump. I still like this option.

However, it dawned on me to investigate the LS2 GTO radiator, (the engine is LS2 GTO as well). It appears the 2005 and 2006 LS2 GTO radiator inlet on the driver side is half way down the tank making it more visually appealing and designed to cool my engine.

I do not see where anyone else has gone out of their way to use an LS2 GTO radiator in a swap which causes me to ask you all if I am missing something? Will it work better than the LS1, how does the lower inlet work, etc?

Also, am I missing any down sides to the LS1 radiator? I will run an LS1 ecm and harness anyway.

thanks,

Clint
Old 12-24-2017, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LS1 F-body radiators will have more options and probably be cheaper. THey didn't make that many late gen GTO's. I used an SLP F-body radiator and I am very satisfied with it.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Be Cool offers a bone yard LS swap radiators (twin pass) They offer assorted widths with either 17" high or 19.5" high. They are 259.99 This looks like it will help out alot of peeps
Old 12-24-2017, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

I started with a Camaro radiator and switched to a GTO. The issue with the 4th gen radiator is that it's meant to be installed at an angle. When you stand it up vertically, the fill neck and hose outlets are put at a goofy angle. The GTO rad fits the Chevelle core support and is meant to be installed vertically.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Aston Tibs
LS1 F-body radiators will have more options and probably be cheaper. THey didn't make that many late gen GTO's. I used an SLP F-body radiator and I am very satisfied with it.
Great points! Thank you for the reference I will check them out.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Be Cool offers a bone yard LS swap radiators (twin pass) They offer assorted widths with either 17" high or 19.5" high. They are 259.99 This looks like it will help out alot of peeps
That sounds like a good price if I can find an LS fan to fit. I will research that. I assume there are mass leaking issues?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dlabooda
I started with a Camaro radiator and switched to a GTO. The issue with the 4th gen radiator is that it's meant to be installed at an angle. When you stand it up vertically, the fill neck and hose outlets are put at a goofy angle. The GTO rad fits the Chevelle core support and is meant to be installed vertically.
I have found a used LS2 radiator with fans (67,000 miles), that I can probably pick up cheap and try anyway.

This will probably be the winner if I can get it cheap. I like how the grill shell does not need to be cut.

Does the radiator fit centered so there are no gaps noticeable from the grill area?

Thanks for the response.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by daily duece
I assume there are mass leaking issues?
Means what? I only heard of Griffen radiators leaking.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Why not get a new chevelle radiator? The "designed to cool my engine" statement makes me think you are potentially putting too much emphasis on aspects that aren't terribly important (which is fine, but it can make things more expensive). With the right spacing pretty much any LS water pump and radiator will work, and there isn't any reason a radiator from a Chevelle that could adequately cool an old big block couldn't cool a modern LS motor, a motor which runs hotter anyway. Just don't buy into that 3-4 core nonsense, as radiators have one core and multiple rows and more is not better.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 345 Likes on 233 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Why not get a new chevelle radiator?

Yeah, What chuck says...

I run a replacement stock Chevelle radiator and a Windstar dual fan module...fit's like a glove, cools great

EDIT: And as far as parts availability, every parts store in the world should stock the radiator I use, and you can get those fans from any wrecking yard or new also...

Last edited by CattleAc; 12-24-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Means what? I only heard of Griffen radiators leaking.
Yep. That is what I was getting at-the Griffen radiators and how they leak.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Why not get a new chevelle radiator? The "designed to cool my engine" statement makes me think you are potentially putting too much emphasis on aspects that aren't terribly important (which is fine, but it can make things more expensive). With the right spacing pretty much any LS water pump and radiator will work, and there isn't any reason a radiator from a Chevelle that could adequately cool an old big block couldn't cool a modern LS motor, a motor which runs hotter anyway. Just don't buy into that 3-4 core nonsense, as radiators have one core and multiple rows and more is not better.
I did consider the stock style radiator. The reason I have leaned toward the LS1 or LS2 radiator is I would like to have a production radiator and fan set up so it fits together nicely and also allows for wiring to remain a factory set up.

I will take another look at the factory deal you guys mentioned.

Thanks
Old 12-24-2017, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CattleAc
Yeah, What chuck says...

I run a replacement stock Chevelle radiator and a Windstar dual fan module...fit's like a glove, cools great

EDIT: And as far as parts availability, every parts store in the world should stock the radiator I use, and you can get those fans from any wrecking yard or new also...
Thanks for the input. Yours is metal/brass set up for a big block? Do you run the 99-03 windstar fans? Is your trigger for the fans a thermostat in the "to radiator" hose?

I guess just a regular summit brand radiator is what your talking about?
Old 12-24-2017, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks for the input. Yours is metal/brass set up for a big block? Do you run the 99-03 windstar fans? Is your trigger for the fans a thermostat in the "to radiator" hose?

I guess just a regular summit brand radiator is what your talking about?

I used a NAPA radiator #NR2700. It's what NAPA lists as a replacement for the 1972 Chevelle with a 350. Fits perfectly in the stock location, with the factory mounts...

I trigger the fans with the stock truck ecm.

This was initial mockup, but you can see how well it all fits.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I would shy away from a stock gto radiator with 67,000 miles, the oem part is very prone to cracking at the plastic tank. The reasonably priced aftermarket gto radiators are hit and miss in quality unless you go with the ultra high dollar ones, and late model gto radiators are probably not stocked at most auto parts stores.

The late model gto was just a Australian car that they put gto badges on and sold for 3 years in the states and was a total flop. I’d go with the fbody setup as it is very common and probably stocked at
most stores. I quit going to parts houses for parts for my 1969
Chevelle as my car is twice as old as almost every kid working there, and I get tired of the parts guy asking “by what manufacturer” is the chevelle made? And when I ask for spark plugs their next question is does it have 14” or 15” tires?

Last edited by lizeec; 12-25-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CattleAc
I used a NAPA radiator #NR2700. It's what NAPA lists as a replacement for the 1972 Chevelle with a 350. Fits perfectly in the stock location, with the factory mounts...

I trigger the fans with the stock truck ecm.

This was initial mockup, but you can see how well it all fits.

Are there any issues with a difference between the in/outlet of the radiator vs the in/outlet of the water pump- meaning does the radiator hose need special treatment on one end or the other to seal right?

I really like the idea of being able to use factory mounting location and a factory Chevelle radiator.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lizeec
I would shy away from a stock gto radiator with 67,000 miles, the oem part is very prone to cracking at the plastic tank. The reasonably priced aftermarket gto radiators are hit and miss in quality unless you go with the ultra high dollar ones, and late model gto radiators are probably not stocked at most auto parts stores.

The late model gto was just a Australian car that they put gto badges on and sold for 3 years in the states and was a total flop. I’d go with the fbody setup as it is very common and probably stocked at
Chevelle as my car is twice as old as almost every kid working there, and I get tired of the parts guy asking “by what manufacturer” is the chevelle made? And when I ask for spark plugs their next question is does it have 14” or 15” tires?
Thanks! Thats the kinda thing I was wondering about with the GTO stuff.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by lizeec

Is that a 2 door or a 4 door? Sorry, I couldn't resist, lol.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Are there any issues with a difference between the in/outlet of the radiator vs the in/outlet of the water pump- meaning does the radiator hose need special treatment on one end or the other to seal right?

No, Any stock upper hose that came on any LS truck/suv from 1999-2006 works...
Old 12-30-2017, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i am using a 2002 gmc sierra radiator (top hose on driver side, lower hose on passenger side) with a 2003 windstar fan in my 69 chevelle with the 5.3 from the same gmc truck. i cut the top brackets off of the radiator and made my own brackets to fit the windstar fan. i used the stock lower truck hose trimmed a little napa part #9070, and a combo of the stock upper truck hose #9069, and another tight bend hose from a nissan #9148,with an inline radiator cap neck from moroso(since the radiator doesnt have a cap on it). stock steam vent hose trimmed a little. its a cheap setup but it fits really well in the stock radiator support with the stock top bracket. but when i get a chance/money i might pick up one of the aluminum swap radiators. but otherwise its a great setup for me. this is on a 5.3 with stock truck water pump.

Quick Reply: LS2 Chevelle GTO Radiator? LS1 Camaro Radiator question.