Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring knowledge needed for Lexus IS300 system to accept LSx 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 02:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring knowledge needed for Lexus IS300 system to accept LSx 5.3

Been a while since last here, but recently picked up a '02 Lexus IS300 that's 'ok' fun. Just needs tons more ooommph!
Everyone seems to rave about the 2jz motor (mostly the GTE twin turbo variant , NOT the regular GE) I just don't see it. It's smooth but a 3.0L that's only 215hp and about that in torque in a 3300lb car doesn't take anyones breath away. And the 5spd auto isn't the most wonderful either. Heck, my '66 chevy C-50 had almost 140hp. And that was with a single barrel carb!!
Shift points are really goofy. In regular street driving, it's up to 5th in less than a block! If you floor it, it shifts
later but makes more noise than planting you in the seat. (with a 3.90 gear)

BUT, it does handle nicely and drives smooth. Even through the twisty's. There are several on Youtube with LS_ swaps, but they're several years old and not getting many responses on the wiring help/diagrams.

Anyhow, I've got a 5.3 with harness, rebuilt 200r4 and a welder.. Doesn't look that bad of a swap, but the wiring is the main concern.
Is there anyone here that's done this swap to a IS300 or other lexus that would like to explain what worked?
ALso, would like to have air cond too!.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2018, 10:28 PM
Teching In

117 views and nuthin..
Must be like ultra secret, voodoo area-51 stuff..

E
Old 06-16-2018, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

OR you are going where no man has gone before.....
Old 06-17-2018, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Or maybe it’s because this is a GM forum, not a Lexus forum... I see plenty of LS swapped is300’s, you’re just looking for help in the wrong place. And those “views” are mostly google web spiders.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Lugnut, there IS a place on this forum for ANYBODY desiring to put an LS into ANYTHING. And THIS is that place! So get your rude *** out of here.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Just give it some time. Someone will find this thread interesting enough to chime in with the info you seek.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Rockosocko- Contact Sikky Mfg. They do LS swap kits for a bunch of different Japanese cars and BMW's, though I don't think they do Lexus YET. Call them anyway, and they might lead you to someone who does, or they might even be working on something for the Lexus.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Hey Lugnut, there IS a place on this forum for ANYBODY desiring to put an LS into ANYTHING. And THIS is that place! So get your rude *** out of here.
Who pissed in your cherrios?

And I stand firmly with what I said before - if you want to know how to work with Lexus electronics, you don’t ask on a GM forum. Do any of you think I came here looking for ways to interact with my BMW electronics? That would have been retarded. I went to the BMW forums for that.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

He wanted to know how to merge the Lexus electronics with the LS electronics, as was said in the first post. That is part of the realm of this Conversions and Hybrid forum.
Nobody pissed in my Cheerios, I got on you for being rude, which you were.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

OP - without knowing more about precisely which 5.3/harness/ecu you have -- no way anyone can assist. Providing a bit more detail may hep generate the response you're looking for. And you were right to ask here -- it's not a "GM forum" -- it's an LS forum and they end up in everything, GM's included.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Thanks G.. For a second I thought I posted in a HONDA forum.
And I'll check out Sikky mfg.

The main reason I posted HERE was I had googled and searched for a few weeks now and have seen builds that were posted HERE but were almost a decade ago, and
thought for sure that someone else might have done one (LSx swap) and would be willing to expound on their knowledge and issues found/resolved.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...gine-mods.html
BUT, I joined, had to go through the posting crap limitations, PM peeps and .....nuthin. (unless you want to spend mega-bucks on parts from them)
(The Lexus forums are more into cold air intakes, GTE turbo swaps and only having 3/8" of tire clearance at the top of the wheel-well. (or having the tires almost sideways)
NOT my style..

Since I posted here, I found a couple guys doing a step by step cut-down or thinning of a truck harness i believe, to make a stand-alone harness, and another for his Jeep. (It's a shame that even HERE, NO ONE has a 'sticky' on that)

The IS300 is a great platform to swap into if you ask me. Pretty sturdy, although around 3300lbs, Can seat 4 adults fine (and maybe a small child in middle/rear) suspension parts are available,
Actually considered a 'sub-compact' with insurance co's. AND pretty dang cheap! I got mine for just over 2800!! And it runs pretty good considering 150K mi. ...just NOT the best mileage and limited to rear gears of 3.9 for the auto's and 3.73 for the manuals.. (the regular 2jz is fairly gutless under 4000-5000. that's why it's got a 5spd auto)
Of course, ALL the toyota forums think that the 2jz engine/motor is ULTRA-FANTASTIC (but yet, toyota stopped making it) BUT, they have to slap even bigger turbo's on it!
Sure they get upwards of 1200hp, but you need some DEEP pockets.

I don't want to turbo my car. I just want a 5.3/overdrive that I can drive every day (with air if I want) and have the grunt of torque when I want. Maybe around 375-425hp and same in torque. And maybe low 20's in mileage (and maybe better if I can find a local 'turner' who knows what the hell they're doing)
I've already got a truck 5.3, and two truck harnesses, Friends at Comp/Bullet cams, port my own heads, have buds that make driveshafts and have a couple rebuilt overdrives
Like I first posted, Just wanted knowledge on wiring since I just hate it, like most do.

Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, ignore the Lugnut. You came to the right place. And keep coming back if/when you get more info so others in a similar predicament will be helped.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Absolutely G.!!

I've messed with machinery of all kinds growing up on a farm, where if "IT" broke, you had to fix it or you didn't get paid that week.
I didnt' have wealthy parents to just GIVE me stuff that I didn't earn. I busted my ____ all my life.
So, I like all sorts of makes of whatever. And stealth mode, sleeper stuff.

(A long term project that I have going is a '81 Cherokee S with a 2wd Diesel suburban front suspension cut grafted in running a Caddy 500, FItech injection/4L80e to a 14 bolt. or Dana 44. Lowered with an attitude.) Not too set on the trans. I'd love to use my NV4500. But the stinkin flywheel is 4 bills NOT including the clutch assy..

Anywho, Follow these guys that I posted the vids and it should take you pretty far. At least to get you running with a 'stock' base line.
I'm going to get a 4x8 sheet of plywood and staple/affix the harness to where I can make notations. This might take me a year or so to get it in/running, but hey..
Old 06-20-2018, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Take a gander at this. (scroll down a bit) http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321&page=20
He gave me my inspiration. It's just that mine might not be that low or that beautiful!!
E

Last edited by Rockosocko; 06-20-2018 at 01:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Wiring knowledge needed for Lexus IS300 system to accept LSx 5.3