Sponsored by:

Swaps just got way easier...Holley Terminator X

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by Jgaines8679
You mean fool-proof?
I will assume you meant no offense with that statement. Saying that it is fool-proof is not accurate. If you want something that is plug-N-play (fool-proof), then get a crate engine of your choice and the matching GM harness and ECU package. Those systems work very well.

What the X offers is FLEXIBILITY. As I mentioned before, OEM systems are not nearly as flexible when it comes to combinations of parts that were not offered stock. Yes, you can tune them, but mixing and matching gen3 and gen4 components are not so fool-proof! With the X it is much easier to do so...on top of all the benefits that I mentioned before.

Andrew
Old 03-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would really like to see a breakdown of how the tuning experience (with CAN-to-USB cable and a laptop) compares to the Dominator and HP Tuners on a stock ECU. The Dominator is kind of overkill for a mild LS-turbo setup--those of us who are just running about 1 bar of boost on pump gas don't need auxiliary I/Os for eight stages of nitrous and the ability to run four extra injectors (or low-impedance injectors). However, it would be really nice to have a basic boost control strategy baked into the ECU (which this appears to have) and full live tuning (unlike the HP Tuners support for live tuning which only allows access to a handful of tables at a time). If it can do at least that much, well, I might want to switch.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

This is awesome!! Like what was said before, if I didn't already have HP Tuners and my harness I would absolutely buy this for my Camaro. I spent so many hours re-wiring my harness and tracing wires this would be a huge time saver from that standpoint. Time Saved is also worth something

Andrew is right, the Holley ECU uses readily available terminals and connectors. I've actually been keeping an eye out for a cheaper used Holley HP EFI ECU to do just that with my stock harness. Andrew do you know if they will sell this ECU by itself without the harness? It would be really cool if they offered a builders kit with the ECU, Terminals, Connectors and the Main harness.

It seems as though Jgaines is missing the point of how huge of a step this is for the LS swapping community. To be able to get a plug and play ECU with harness for $1k or close to it is nothing short of amazing.
The following users liked this post:
Jb Baldemar Gonzalez (03-29-2021)
Old 03-18-2019, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,039 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Not that it needs it, but does it come with an OBDII plug? Or would that even be possible? I'm sorta ignorant on such matters... lol
Old 03-18-2019, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Not that it needs it, but does it come with an OBDII plug? Or would that even be possible? I'm sorta ignorant on such matters... lol
it uses a data cable, and no it does not come with OBD2 plug nor can you install one
Old 03-18-2019, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx

it uses a data cable, and no it does not come with OBD2 plug nor can you install one
OK thanks! Was mainly just curious about it. OBDII is really most relevant in an OEM situation anyway.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
This is awesome!! Like what was said before, if I didn't already have HP Tuners and my harness I would absolutely buy this for my Camaro. I spent so many hours re-wiring my harness and tracing wires this would be a huge time saver from that standpoint. Time Saved is also worth something

Andrew is right, the Holley ECU uses readily available terminals and connectors. I've actually been keeping an eye out for a cheaper used Holley HP EFI ECU to do just that with my stock harness. Andrew do you know if they will sell this ECU by itself without the harness? It would be really cool if they offered a builders kit with the ECU, Terminals, Connectors and the Main harness.

It seems as though Jgaines is missing the point of how huge of a step this is for the LS swapping community. To be able to get a plug and play ECU with harness for $1k or close to it is nothing short of amazing.
I doubt that the X will be sold as "ECU only" but maybe it will. I think the main concern would be support. If you bought the ECU by itself, it would be very hard to offer support given that so many problems can be caused by poor wiring.

Andrew
Old 03-18-2019, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by G Atsma
OBDII is a standard OEM protocol that allows the use of universal scan tools. This is not needed since the X offers the hand held tool, LED lights, and laptop connectivity for troubleshooting purposes.

Andrew
Old 03-18-2019, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

You should get a lot of info on this subject that you can pass on when you come through Holley for EFI training Andrew. I'll buy you a couple of beers and feed you more worthless LS swap BS too!
The following users liked this post:
floridave (10-13-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
OBDII is a standard OEM protocol that allows the use of universal scan tools. This is not needed since the X offers the hand held tool, LED lights, and laptop connectivity for troubleshooting purposes.

Andrew
OK, as I hinted at above. Mostly an OEM thing. I think this new stuff will be a bit of a game changer!
Old 03-18-2019, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Toddoky
You should get a lot of info on this subject that you can pass on when you come through Holley for EFI training Andrew. I'll buy you a couple of beers and feed you more worthless LS swap BS too!
I'd love to be a fly on the wall listening in to that stuff! lol "We" shall decide on what is worthless LS swap BS, then! LOL
You guys have fun and keep the good stuff coming Toddoky!
Old 03-18-2019, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Andrew will be coming through the engineering lab more than likely during part of his training, so he'll get to see first-hand what I'm currently working on. He can report back about everything he saw here...and then ve vil hav to kill him!
Old 03-18-2019, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Andrew will be coming through the engineering lab more than likely during part of his training, so he'll get to see first-hand what I'm currently working on. He can report back about everything he saw here...and then ve vil hav to kill him!
Well, he'll just have to work fast! LOL
If I may ask, what is he training for?
Old 03-18-2019, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

He stated previously that he was coming in for an EFI class, but I don’t for which one specifically.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh alright. Are classes such as these aimed at installers or just anyone looking to learn more about the subject at hand?
Old 03-18-2019, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

As far as I know, anyone can attend that wishes to pay for the experience to do so. I’ve never looked into myself and so am not familiar with the details. The classes do seem to be very well rated by those who attend them.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

As far as I know, anyone can attend that wishes to pay for the experience to do so. I’ve never looked into myself and so am not familiar with the details. The classes do seem to be very well rated by those who attend them.

I may just have to look into that... I'm always into learning stuff.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

He stated previously that he was coming in for an EFI class, but I don’t for which one specifically.
A couple of my buddies and I are doing all 3 classes. Todd, we need to get together for dinner. I'll ping you.

Andrew
Old 03-19-2019, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

E85 compatibility with Fuel Composition Sensor? I did not see that as an option in the Installation instructions...

Also the Holley system seems to line up with the FITech 70050 offering... But FITech is at a better price point. Unless there is a huge feature mismatch that I am missing between the two? But in my quick read they seem about the same.

IMO with the generic Made In USA harnesses now at the ~$300-325 price point there isn't a huge financial change between the stock GM ECU options and the Dominator X setup. With the stock ECU I can also add the Fuel Composition Sensor capability very easily. Also the stock ECU is the ultimate in reliability. LT1SWAP with the ECU unlock service at a reasonable rate makes things easy for a straight turn key.

I like that Holley is aiming for the DIYer segment! I also think this will be a big seller for those who want easy turn key w/o the wiring headache or ECU programming. But I think the Dominator X line is late to the party and will need to justify it's price point vs FITech which looks the same feature set.

To add for the Holley nut huggers... You know why your running LS vs SBC... Because of the cheap Chinesium parts that FAIL in the field that are all chomey and made from aluminum foil! Keep it as much GM as possible and it will live darn near forever. IMO this includes the electronics. YMMV, but the big push from SBC to LS has partly been the lack of quality aftermarket parts.

In summary, I think a loaded Dominator X Max system is still too expensive for the DIY crowd to justify vs the alternatives. (real DIY <> Legoland part$ assemblers)
Old 03-19-2019, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by APillow
E85 compatibility with Fuel Composition Sensor? I did not see that as an option in the Installation instructions...

Also the Holley system seems to line up with the FITech 70050 offering... But FITech is at a better price point. Unless there is a huge feature mismatch that I am missing between the two? But in my quick read they seem about the same.

IMO with the generic Made In USA harnesses now at the ~$300-325 price point there isn't a huge financial change between the stock GM ECU options and the Dominator X setup. With the stock ECU I can also add the Fuel Composition Sensor capability very easily. Also the stock ECU is the ultimate in reliability. LT1SWAP with the ECU unlock service at a reasonable rate makes things easy for a straight turn key.

I like that Holley is aiming for the DIYer segment! I also think this will be a big seller for those who want easy turn key w/o the wiring headache or ECU programming. But I think the Dominator X line is late to the party and will need to justify it's price point vs FITech which looks the same feature set.

To add for the Holley nut huggers... You know why your running LS vs SBC... Because of the cheap Chinesium parts that FAIL in the field that are all chomey and made from aluminum foil! Keep it as much GM as possible and it will live darn near forever. IMO this includes the electronics. YMMV, but the big push from SBC to LS has partly been the lack of quality aftermarket parts.

In summary, I think a loaded Dominator X Max system is still too expensive for the DIY crowd to justify vs the alternatives. (real DIY <> Legoland part$ assemblers)
here here brother well said!

Quick Reply: Swaps just got way easier...Holley Terminator X