Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a 81 Malibu

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 in a 81 Malibu

Alright fellas, I've done some looking around on what all it takes to do a LSx swap in a G-body and found a few things, but I'm not 100% clear on exactly what I need to do.

1) I saw, that you'll have to run a different oil pan. Will certain factory pans work or am I looking at an aftermarket pan or some custom fabed ones?

2) Also will F-body long tubes work?

3) Will a regular radiator work?

4) And last, I saw motor mounts in Jeg's catalog for a Lsx into any SBC car along with an LSx into an S-10. I figured it was a no brainer on that one for which one I needed, but I noticed that a guy on here with a Malibu wagon used the S-10 mounts? Does it give you more oil pan clearance?

Sorry for all the questions, but I did some searching and didn't yeild "exactly" what I was looking for.
Thanks in advance,
Cody
Old 08-04-2008, 10:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Some people like to use the s-10 mounts due to the adjustability they have to offer, all you have to do is install the 2.8 lower mounts into the chassis and they work great. We also sell the ls conversion plates and I would highly suggest the one inch set back configuration.
http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc.../88363/C/S2348

http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc...457/C/S%202370
Old 08-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

for motor mounts..use edl-6701. these are perfect mounts..if you are keeping your trans in the stock position.
headers..theres a member on here that will tell you about headers and oil pans.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Check out my post https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/957862-finally-done-88-monte-ss-lq4-swap.html

Biggest decision you are going to have to make is whether you are going to be running a/c or not. If so, compressor in the stock location? If not, then I suggest putting the trans in the stock location and moving the stock SBC mounts back. Then you can use a CTS-V oil pan and BRP Hotrod long tubes.

If you run a stock a/c compressor, it mounts down low on the passenger side and the motor will have to be positioned farther forward for it to clear. You can run the hummer oil pan, but with truck accessories the PS pulley will hit the steering box.

Goodluck with it.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Launching!

I will not be running a/c. Strictly street/strip car.
But I'm looking to have power steering. Will an F-body PS pump work seeing how its up top? What about the F-body alternator?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

If you don't have a/c, I suggest putting the transmission in the stock location, and aligning the motor from there. The Fbody accessories should clear perfect but remember if you get a truck motor and want the Fbody accessories, you need to swap everything over, including the crank hub and water pump. If the truck alternator and accessories are clean, they actually don't look terrible. I would prefer the alternator not so high but it'll work for now.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The common unit mount used for running the transmission in the stock location is the 1 inch setback plate.

http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc...457/C/S%202370
Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS2Monte
If you don't have a/c, I suggest putting the transmission in the stock location, and aligning the motor from there. The Fbody accessories should clear perfect but remember if you get a truck motor and want the Fbody accessories, you need to swap everything over, including the crank hub and water pump. If the truck alternator and accessories are clean, they actually don't look terrible. I would prefer the alternator not so high but it'll work for now.
I'll be running a 5.7 LS1 from a F-body, so I should be ok on the accessories then.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS2Monte
Check out my post https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=957862
you can use a CTS-V oil pan and BRP Hotrod long tubes.
These headers are the only option with the 1" set back?
Old 08-06-2008, 06:11 AM
On The Tree

Scholenfelds do not fit at all, some have said pacesetter fbody headers fit with some tube denting, I didnt wanna waste another $300 to find out they didnt so I just ordered up what I knew would. Shorties will work for sure, but obviously they won't give the same power as long tubes.

Quick Reply: LS1 in a 81 Malibu