Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete powertrain swap, 00 Z28 to 93 TA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008 | 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Complete powertrain swap, 00 Z28 to 93 TA?

Hey guys, my GF has a gorgeous red 93 TA, it is a hardtop car with a WS6 hood (might be factory, has the correct airbox and everything!) It is an LT1 A4 car with 62K miles on it, and has never seen a winter. Anyways, even due to its great condition it has seen better days on some aspects. It is on opti #3, and it leaks oil from the pan, timing cover, intake gasket, transmission, and differential. The window regulators/motors are messed up and they are slow and do not go up all the way. It also has an aftermarket cam and whatnot in it, and it doesn't run quite right due to the tune. Being a 93, there is no one around here who can tune it and no I do not want a mail order tune. My GF loves the car, it is her first car and it means alot to her. However, the issues need to be fixed and she wants alot more power out of it. She also wants a 6 speed, but does not want a new one because she hates T-Tops and wants to stick with her car, a hardtop.

Later this afternoon I am going to purchase a 2000 Z28 with a 6 speed. From what I can tell the thing is mechanically sound, with a few minor cosmetic flaws. Anyways, am I retarded to swap EVERYTHING over from the LS1 car to the LT1 car? Fuel system, engine, transmission, rear end, wiring harness, AC system, suspension, etc? I would then have lots of leftover parts from the 93 and the 00, and I do not think I would attempt to put the 93 powertrain in the 00, I would just part the rest of the 00 out and sell the LT1 powertrain. The LT1 engine itself is in great shape with low miles, it makes ridiculous oil pressure, and recently had the whole top end went through by Livernois (spring 07, before I knew GF) so I know I could easily get $700-$800 for it. Plus there are mods to both cars which could be combined, and the leftovers sold. I KNOW SELLING IT AND BUYING A NEW ONE MAKES ALOT MORE SENSE BUT IT ISN'T THE SAME!

What do you think? What potential problems could I run into? Keep in mind I have a totally intact complete donor car with EVERY part. I know this is lame in comparison to 99% of the swaps in this thread, I just want your valued input! THANK YOU!
Old 10-24-2008 | 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

If that is what she truly wants... go for it. It will nickel and dime you to death though, and if that 2000 Z28 is in good shape, then the purchase price for that car alone makes the swap cost prohibitive for what you get at the end. IMO, you're better off buying a high mileage '98+ Trans Am, swapping the LT1 front end on it, build up the the entire powertrain until she's happy, then sell off or part out the '93. Then tell her that it is her '93 totally redone (j/k). If money is no object and you just want a project to work on, there's no reason to stop at this point.

I'm in a similar situation though. The car in my sig was bought off the lot brand new in early '01 for my wife. She works in the insurance field, which is the reason the miles are so high. But now that we just bought another car for her to drive, I am stuck with one of two options for getting a high performance toy out of the deal: selling or trading the '01 (won't get much money for it though) and buying a six-speed '98+ TA WS6 convertible and mildly modifying it; or maximizing the $$$ to performance ratios by simply swapping into the '01 a 5.3L truck engine with a six-speed and home-made turbo kit, and swapping out all the body panels and interior parts to make it a "WS6". Either option will cost about the same from what I have calculated. I have no plans to go into the engine, so a mild boosted factory 5.3L seems to fit the bill well.

Most people will tell you to buy a newer vehicle and start from there. But like already said, if this is a project YOU want to take on for pleasure or fun don't let anyone discourage you. Just be prepared for a long road of challenges to face if you fully intend to finish it.

Good luck
Old 10-24-2008 | 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sintered
If that is what she truly wants... go for it. It will nickel and dime you to death though, and if that 2000 Z28 is in good shape, then the purchase price for that car alone makes the swap cost prohibitive for what you get at the end. IMO, you're better off buying a high mileage '98+ Trans Am, swapping the LT1 front end on it, build up the the entire powertrain until she's happy, then sell off or part out the '93. Then tell her that it is her '93 totally redone (j/k). If money is no object and you just want a project to work on, there's no reason to stop at this point.

I'm in a similar situation though. The car in my sig was bought off the lot brand new in early '01 for my wife. She works in the insurance field, which is the reason the miles are so high. But now that we just bought another car for her to drive, I am stuck with one of two options for getting a high performance toy out of the deal: selling or trading the '01 (won't get much money for it though) and buying a six-speed '98+ TA WS6 convertible and mildly modifying it; or maximizing the $$$ to performance ratios by simply swapping into the '01 a 5.3L truck engine with a six-speed and home-made turbo kit, and swapping out all the body panels and interior parts to make it a "WS6". Either option will cost about the same from what I have calculated. I have no plans to go into the engine, so a mild boosted factory 5.3L seems to fit the bill well.

Most people will tell you to buy a newer vehicle and start from there. But like already said, if this is a project YOU want to take on for pleasure or fun don't let anyone discourage you. Just be prepared for a long road of challenges to face if you fully intend to finish it.

Good luck

Well, I got the Camaro for $4000, it was a **STEAL**. Like I said it is a complete running vehicle, with nothing wrong with it mechanically, or cosmetically for that matter. Aside from a few things like updating the clutch hydraulics, tune up items, fluids, filters, etc, what other costs do you see me running into?
Old 10-24-2008 | 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go for it!

only problems i see will just be a lot of little stuff like re-routing etc but I like the idea...its a sleeper too!
Old 10-26-2008 | 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's been done. You have enough experience with 4th gens that it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by Scooter70; 10-26-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2008 | 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

it really isnt that hard, and you will be able to sell the roller and LT1 after its all said and done aswell
Old 10-26-2008 | 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

I say go for it. I'm just about to hit the ignition switch on my LS1 swap. Having a donor car will make it 100% easier. I had to piece-meal my parts from everywhere so it took alot more effort. The end result will be amazing though.

Good luck with your decision and/or your swap.

Mike
Old 10-27-2008 | 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

mike94 your on motown aswell correct ?

Quick Reply: Complete powertrain swap, 00 Z28 to 93 TA?