Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D & D T56 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default D & D T56 Questions

I recently bought my 72 Camaro and it was equipped with the following tranny setup mounted to a 1st gen SBC of course.
D & D Chevy/Viper T56
Denny's Drivershaft
Lakewood 1500 Bell housing (Matches to gen 1 sbc and the old style 4 speed trannies)
Lakewood 1550 fork clutch
Lakewood 15977 roller pilot bearing
Hays 10-130 billet flywheel
Centerforce dual friction clutch cdf148552
Centerforce n1716 throwout bearing
I am wanting to switch the 1st gen sbc with a 5.3 or 6.0 Truck motor but have no clue where to start with the tranny. I basically need to know what al am I going to have to change to get the tranny to work. The only thing I know or believe I will have to change is bell housing over to a lsx to 4 speed housing right? Am I on the right track?
I have the fuel,pulley/bracket,ecm,wiring harness, & mounting solutions figured out So I just need to know what I need to do to make my current tranny setup work?
Thanks In advance as I am sure I will be thanking you guys again

Last edited by heetstroke; 11-20-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Teching In

No One Has anything for me, I haven't seen any clear info on this Once I get this figured out I will start rounding up my parts for the swap.

Last edited by heetstroke; 11-21-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Teching In

I got a few thing from nastyz28
I will have to change bellhousing, pilot bearing, and flywheel, and if i keep the mechanical clutch setup I will need to do some kind of my mod to the tranny.
Can anybody tell me in more detail as to what pilot bearing and what this tranny mod involves?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might look into the McLeod Modular bellhousing that would allow you to use your D&D T56, not really sure about the flywheel and Clutch setup. but It can be done.. give McLeod a call (I think they were bought by B&M ?)

I know the LS1 vs the SBC/LT1 T56 are a setup with different input shafts due to the lenght and distance from the block/crank/flywheel to the trans face. With the Modular bellhousing, you can use spacer to get the correct distance.

If it turns into a nightmare to conver it to costly, you might consider selling off the parts to some other SBC / Camaro guy and just pickup a Gen III/IV T56 setup ??
Old 11-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Teching In

I called Mcleod and the guy there said I don't need to change anything but the Flywheel to there 460535 flywheel(which is just an ls 168 tooth one so couldn't I just pick up a stock ls1 flywheel) and to get there mcleod pilot bearing 8617 to mount on the crank as a spacer
Does this sound right to you guys? He did say that the 12 o clock bolt hole won't match up but it shouldn't be a problem,if it is then they have a modular bellhousing that would make it fit perfect.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish I could help you more on the subject, but I have only done so much with what I have. But at lease I got you in the right direction for info on the bellhousing and flywheel.

I'm sure if you give it time, someone will ping in with all of the info you need.. Guys!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be fine. If the shaft is short of the crank you can use the larger diameter pilot bearing and of course you will need a clutch disc that matches the splines on your transmission.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Teching In

So can I use a stock LS1 Flywheel or do I need the mcleod one I pulled it up on summit and it just looks like a normal steel ls1 type or is it special in a way that it mounts to the lsx motor and allows you to run a mechanical clutch setup? Also the tooth on both flywheels ar 168 can I reuse my starter or do I need to get a Ls1 starter since I will be changing over to the ls1 oilpan?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

here is some of the stuff I was telling you on nastyz28

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l-linkage.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...k-problem.html

I had the guy's screen name hacked. I remember one of them mentioning maybe not using the lakewood block plate, I don't remember the details so post up when you get it going!!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Flywheels go with engines, clutches go with flywheels. You can use any LS1/2/3/6/7 clutch that you desire, as long as you use the matching clutch. I suggest getting the LS2 flywheel/ LS7 clutch combo. It has excellent drivability and is not super expensive. You can retain your existing bellhousing, but you will have to swap over to a hydraulic throw out bearing. I am using the Quarter Master Street bearing in my GTO and it works fine. I am also using the Keisler MC mount and it has worked well. The kit comes with a .750" bore MC, but I suggest going to a Wilwood .700" bore MC as I have. Make sure you use an LS7 pilot bearing.

Alternatively, you can take the front plate off the D&D T56 and get a stock F-body bellhousing. Then you will have to use a stock throw out bearing assembly, but you will still need the Keisler MC mount. Use an LS1 pilot bearing with this combo. Personally I would go with this option.

Andrew
Old 11-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Well here is what I am planning to use. The SDCBV clutch pivot ball bracket with the mcleod flywheel 460535 and mcleod pilot bushing 8617. Mcleod said I should be able to use my current clutch setup because it is a 1.125 input shaft and 26 spline. Does this sound like its going to work for me guys?
If the clutch setup doesn't work then I will get a ls7 clutch kit or would this be a better option(ls7 clutch kit with ls7 flywheel and mcleod 8617 pilot bushing?

Last edited by heetstroke; 11-22-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by heetstroke
Well here is what I am planning to use. The SDCBV clutch pivot ball bracket with the mcleod flywheel 460535 and mcleod pilot bushing 8617. Mcleod said I should be able to use my current clutch setup because it is a 1.125 input shaft and 26 spline. Does this sound like its going to work for me guys?
If the clutch setup doesn't work then I will get a ls7 clutch kit or would this be a better option(ls7 clutch kit with ls7 flywheel and mcleod 8617 pilot bushing?
I don't see how you will be able to use your existing clutch. While the spline count and the diameter of the on the clutch is the same, the SBC clutch pressure plate (cover) will not bolt up to an LS1 flywheel.

The LS7 clutch kit is very nice and will have great drivability.

Andrew
Old 11-23-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you already have a good clutch/pressure plate setup, just go with the Mcloud flywheel setup. It will be the easiest and probably the cheapest in the long run.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
If you already have a good clutch/pressure plate setup, just go with the Mcloud flywheel setup. It will be the easiest and probably the cheapest in the long run.
The McLeod flywheel that he is talking about is designed for a LS1 style clutch. How is his current Center Force SBC clutch going to work with an LS1 style flywheel?

Andrew
Old 11-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys . They are the same price if I get the mcleod pilot,flywheel and can utilize my clutch as oppose to ls7 flywheel,clutch. So I guess I should just use all factoy ls7 stuff instead of buying the mcleod stuff and possible having to change to the ls7 clutch. Unless someone knows for a fact my my sbc centerforce clutch setup will work with the mcleod flywheel. I just am trying to figure this out before I start rounding up parts to save myself from an extra headache once I get started
Old 11-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Alternatively, you can take the front plate off the D&D T56 and get a stock F-body bellhousing.
Andrew

I don't have my car handy right now but if I remember correctly D&D machines the mounting ears off the case unless you have an early one. The plate is used to mount the trans to the SBC bellhousing. If I'm wrong, pls speak up because that will make it that much easier for all of us with this transmission!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

I'm doing this right now with my D&D T-56. The viper version, you will need to use the Mcleod flywheel. It is .400 thicker to account for the difference in crankshaft flange locations between the Gen I and later Gen's. It will work without the flange, but it puts the disk right at the end of the splines on the transmission.

Mcleod says a 10.5" clutch will work with the flywheel. So will an 11".

You can also use an old school bellhousing, but it has to be for an 11" flywheel. The smaller bellhousing will not work with the Mcleod flywheel.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Teching In

My hayes and centerforce flywheel/clutch setup now is 11 inch so I should be good to just switch my flywheel and pilot bearing to mcleod's. Importkilla how far along are you on your install?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Staging Lane

Basically the set-up is kinda just mocked in the car right now. The engine plates moved the engine a little further than I wanted so I'm debating on cutting another set. I have access to a trumpf laser, so cutting new plates takes a minute or two.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:00 AM
Staging Lane

Just re-reading some posts, and you cant just take the plate off the D&D and mount a stock f-body bellhousing. The input shaft is not the right length to accomplish this. If that was the route to go, one would have to change the input shaft on the D&D (viper) tranny.

Mcleods 460535 flywheel is drilled for both styles of clutches.

Quick Reply: D & D T56 Questions