Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats an easier conversion into a 69 Camaro.. auto or M6??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whats an easier conversion into a 69 Camaro.. auto or M6??

Im starting to consider going LS1 in my 69.. whats easier to do.. an A4 or M6?? The M6 would be an issue for me since I have no emergency brakes but I would also think its more of a pain due to the clutch and where the shifter comes through the tunnel.

I know the A4 is a large trans so there might be issues with how it fits in the trans tunnel...

Opinions? If i do this I guess I will need"

Motor mounts and pads
the right trans cross memeber
a modified wiring loom
the right headers (to work with a standard gearbox)
electric fans
modified fuel system? with return line to tank (can I use a factory tank and sender?)

I would also have to modify the trans to send a VSS signal to a speedo.. Dang, this all makes me dizzy.. lol

Any websites with a complete parts list of what you need?

Thanks for reading this long post

Old 09-26-2003, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Whats an easier conversion into a 69 Camaro.. auto or M6??

http://www.ls1speed.com/conversions.cfm

Im sure they could help sense they did it.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You would not need to modify the trans to send the VSS signal it already does that for the ECM. The only question would be if you can use the signal from the ECM or if you need to splice into the signal that goes to the ECM for the speedo. Not positive here but you should not need to modifiy the wire harness that much if you use your LS1Edit. The only connections that would need to be made to the rest of the car would be: power and ignition. Everything else is self contained. Many of the modified harnesses are for the VATS module and emmisions items that not needed on older cars. LS1Edit can take these codes out including VATS. For fans you might be able to use the set the motor/trans came from if you get one from a wrecked car. That's what I did for my LT1 in my El Camino. Or you could go with aftermarket fans also and wire them to the ECM to control.

For the tank you would need to get a new sender or modify yours for the return line. You could use the stock tank but if want to take it to Buttonwillow (and I know you do) without the baffels in the tank you run the chance of fuel starving the pump and burning it up. Or you get a drop in pressure during corning and the motor would start stuttering.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

My '69 doesn't have a functional parking brake either, I've just been leaving it in gear and it won't roll.

Auto's are easier to swap in. No messing with clutch pedal modifications, hydraulic lines, etc... Just need to plug it into the PCM and you are done.

Tony
Old 09-26-2003, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Well Ive found a 2000 Camaro LS1 and A4 trans complete for $2800.. only has 23k on the clock..

Looks like I can still keep my screen name..

Yea, the auto will be fun and MUCH easier to swap in.. The fuel system still has me baffled (no pun intended) but Im sure I will find all the parts out there.. Time to call BRP on Monday and start shopping

What radiator are you running Tony??? (and where ar the inlet/outlets??)
Old 09-27-2003, 07:55 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Going to try the factory radiator first since its brand new. I plan on getting a polished aluminum one though, maybe from BeCool. More bling . Most of the LS1 swaps I saw at Power Tour had 4th gen radiators in them. I may try that also.

Tony
Old 09-27-2003, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm glad to see you decided to put an LS1 in that thing....
Old 09-27-2003, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm glad to see you decided to put an LS1 in that thing....
Yea, me too.. I already have a big *** B-Cool so I will use that.. I sketched out the engine color scheme last night..

The New issue CHP has a great article on swappin in LS1's.. I like that sumped tank they show from BRP.. wonder what it costs..

Also, I noticed that its no prob using the LS1 alternator and PS pump in the stock Fbody locations since the Year one uses them that way. Now to find headers that work with the factory gear box. I think Street and Performance.

Old 09-27-2003, 12:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I think you will have alot more fun with this project now. Building a car like this is like a big model kit. Over half the fun is putting it together! It will also keep you busier for longer, so you won't reach that "I'm done" stage too quickly. I'm enjoying combining the mix of old and new.

Tony

Quick Reply: Whats an easier conversion into a 69 Camaro.. auto or M6??