Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Turbo Thirdgen winter project

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SFEDSS
Nice looking project, im doing something simalar to it in the spring with a 6.0 into a 91 Z. Im also doing a single turbo.I was planning to go with f body manifolds facing forward with the cross over in front with the turbo close to the same location as you but a little more forward. I've seen it done but i cant tell if they modified the manifolds or not. Any input on it. thanks
I will let you know, still waiting for my 02 camaro manifolds to show up. If they can fit facing forward I might change how I am building mine, even though I already ordered all the piping to build a log set up on the pass side

Truck manifolds would probably have worked if we had a rack and pinion set up.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im researching the different years of f body manifolds , Im not sure if theyre all the same, i dont think they are. Im trying to find a set that swoop forward more than down. From what ive seen it looks like 99 manifolds might work, but my problem is that i havent got the engine in my car yet so i cant tell for sure.

Last edited by 4SFEDSS; 12-18-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was also wondering.... If you did have to do a log manifold on the passanger side feed through from the driver side, would you still have enough room to get the 3.5" downpipe out the passanger side?
Old 12-18-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Try using a 98 style passengers manifold on the drivers side. It fits nice and tight to the block so it should clear the steering shaft. It also points forward and down at the front of the block. I'll try and find a pick of one we used in a LS1 turbo motor in a mustang. G
Old 12-18-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

I was also wondering.... If you did have to do a log manifold on the passanger side feed through from the driver side, would you still have enough room to get the 3.5" downpipe out the passanger side?
Yes there was still plunty of room. That pic I posted with the 3.5" clamp shows where the DP should go, room permitting from the 4l80's bell housing. There is enough room to run the cross over between the starter/A arm mounting point on the stock K member. Hopefully I can take some pics with the trans in place this weekend. Looks like my exhaust pipe is delayed getting shipped, but I should have the new oil pan on/motor/trans installed for fitting this weekend. Then I get to start on the new trans cross member with TA mount.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

here it is a a 98 pass side manifold on the drivers side.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good to me, maxx should be able to let us know how the f body manifolds fit once gets his.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Its been a busy pass few days with the holidays coming up and working on the car.

Had to notch the K member for the oil pan. I went a bit too far forward but it makes pulling the engine/4l80 in and out alot easier with the longer notch. 1/8" plate was used to fill the notch in, and it looks thicker then what was there before.

Homemade 4l80 w/ TA crossmember, still working on the TA mount, its a bit hard to make a clamp to hold the bushing when you dont have a vice

Homemade Gen III valvespring compressor, first project with the plasma cutter, not the prettiest, but it worked like a charm.

Ran into an issue with the fuel rail and the truck coils
Old 12-22-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

I've got the crane dual spring compressor next time you want to do those in a hurry Looking good on your progress though.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

Looks good, i like the custom made tools!
Old 12-22-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

You can just CAREFULLY bend the fuel line up to clear the truck coils, no problem at all. And if you're going to get the rust taken care of while it's cold, looks like you're going to have ALOT of time.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell yes ryan. Cant wait to see it done! This car has come A LONG WAY since we first met and the burnout down my street with the ol junkyard 305
Old 12-23-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AutomagicLS1
Hell yes ryan. Cant wait to see it done! This car has come A LONG WAY since we first met and the burnout down my street with the ol junkyard 305
Yes it has, too bad I took a hit in cubic inches this time from the ole 383

Got the 02 driverside manifold in, works nicely and clears everything.

Kinda at a stopping point until more comes in, I want to finish up the swap/turbo build for the most part before the body work starts.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MaxxMitchell
Got the 02 driverside manifold in, works nicely and clears everything.

Kinda at a stopping point until more comes in, I want to finish up the swap/turbo build for the most part before the body work starts.
Do you have it facing forward?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i fabricated a t4 manifold that works EXCELLENT in a 3rd gen with up to 3.5 dp
as a side effect it works excellent in vettes and also and most any other swap with large engine bay .tee hee.
see sig vv
Old 12-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Launching!

I hope that one day I will have to refer back to this post to assist me with the exact same thing....the EXACT same thing.

SWS
Old 12-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Launching!

Its been a busy pass few days with the holidays coming up and working on the car.

Had to notch the K member for the oil pan. I went a bit too far forward but it makes pulling the engine/4l80 in and out alot easier with the longer notch. 1/8" plate was used to fill the notch in, and it looks thicker then what was there before.

Homemade 4l80 w/ TA crossmember, still working on the TA mount, its a bit hard to make a clamp to hold the bushing when you dont have a vice

Homemade Gen III valvespring compressor, first project with the plasma cutter, not the prettiest, but it worked like a charm.

Ran into an issue with the fuel rail and the truck coils
You can easily slightly bend that fuel line over enough to get a fuel line on it. At least thats what i did.. no issues here.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Do you have it facing forward?
I have it installed pointing to the back of the car as it would have came stock. I have not tried facing the Fbody manifolds forward yet, I can probably do that and get some pictures. I doubt the drivers side would work on the pass facing forward fue to the motor mounts.

Thanks for the insight on the fuel line, I didnt want to bend it unless I had to, I have a round coil as one of the square ones got broken, so I might see if I cant fit it by the fuel feed to clear with out bending. If it comes down to it, aftermarket rails will be ordered, or these will have -6 an fittings welded on the end and the cross over removed/welded up.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

I have it installed pointing to the back of the car as it would have came stock. I have not tried facing the Fbody manifolds forward yet, I can probably do that and get some pictures. I doubt the drivers side would work on the pass facing forward fue to the motor mounts.

Thanks for the insight on the fuel line, I didnt want to bend it unless I had to, I have a round coil as one of the square ones got broken, so I might see if I cant fit it by the fuel feed to clear with out bending. If it comes down to it, aftermarket rails will be ordered, or these will have -6 an fittings welded on the end and the cross over removed/welded up.

I've got a couple extra fuel rails lying around if you need some, just let me know.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Good to see another 5.3L thirdgen swapper!!!

Having been exactly in your shoes (sans turbo ) i feel your fitment pains.

It was like deja-vu reading through here, i tried the same mounts, i had teh auto, i used a 5.3....everything.

As for the mounts, IMO, your toying with something i really didnt want to. Those mounts move the motor about 1.2" further forward then the original position. I measured it all out, i mounted my motor in like that and decided i didnt want to shift the weight forward, as i wanted the weight further back. The mounts also move the motor foward enough that you will need a custom driveshaft. Whether you like it or not, you wont have enough of your yolk going into the trans. Theres a thread on TGO about using these mounts, as i went throught it all in january of last year.

My soloution was i bought f-body mounts that bolt to the motor, made myself some U-straps, placed the motor int the car so that it was exactly where the original motor was (the trans mounting flange) and then welded it in. Ill dig up some pictures for you, but i seriously advise you do this, or get hawks mounts, it will save you the hassle of a driveshaft, and im thinking you also want the motor closer to the rear then front.

As for the manifolds, yeah, the truck ones suck, they hit both sides, i cut both flanges off, and clocked them a different way in an attempt to get fitment but no dice. Ended up fabricating myself some custom headers.

As for your fuel rails, yes, you can bend them over a slight bit to make them fit, its tight, and the quick disconnect plug is kinda bulky and makes it hard.

Also note, that truck coils dont allow the use of Vette FRC's.

Trying to think of everything else i went through in my swap, i did use an electronic TB, truck TAC and then i took a truck pedal, and cut it up and welded it to make it fit.

Ill note that my 5.3L has now been shredded and an LS1/6 put in its place.

On a further note, want to sell me one of those (or both) turbo's?

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Quick Reply: 5.3 Turbo Thirdgen winter project