Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is "limp mode"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is "limp mode"?

What is limp mode? I am having some problems with my conversion. am getting the following codes,

P0740: Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) enable solenoid control circuit
P0753: 1-2 shift solenoid control circuit
P0785: Shift Timing Solenoid
P1860: Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) PWM solenoid control Circuit

Engine revs fine when in park/nuetral, she does seem to stumble a bit at idle, but when I put it in gear, any, forward or reverse and give it gas, it falls on its face and won't even move. Is that limp mode? Done the search but can't find a good defination of it.

I'm going to recheck all my wires and connections later this week. Have 12V power to Harness E wire. The harness is not original, repalcement that I had to wire in since the harness I had was for a stick car.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Duane,

My first reaction to the codes is that the connector on the trans(big round one) is not seated properly, or you have some bent/pushed pins on that connector. I would start there.

Jack
Old 12-18-2008, 01:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Limp Mode is like a default mode. The Car will still move, the Tranny runs in like a default state, and runs off of Hydraulic Pressure while in that state I believe.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by babydeuce
Duane,

My first reaction to the codes is that the connector on the trans(big round one) is not seated properly, or you have some bent/pushed pins on that connector. I would start there.

Jack
Thats what I'm thinking Jack, I just gotta get up underneath and check it out. I might even pull the harness out this weekend and start soldering up all the crimp connectors. I also need to to recheck and make sure everything is connected to what it is supposed to be. Which I think it is, because before I got everything hooked up, it had bitchen power in gear. So I might of pulled something loose or the connector can loose.

Originally Posted by the_merv
Limp Mode is like a default mode. The Car will still move, the Tranny runs in like a default state, and runs off of Hydraulic Pressure while in that state I believe.
So the car will still drive? I'm not even getting that. It is just starving when its in gear.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I've had them go into Limp Mode, and all it has is 2nd and 3rd Gear.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sure nough, the plug going to the trans was not plugged in all the way. Got her seated fully now, cleared all codes, reset PCM and everything is bitchen now. Now if my steering joint would ever come in I could actully drive this thing a bit.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Good job Duane! I had a similiar issue with mine...

Jack
Old 12-19-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by babydeuce
Good job Duane! I had a similiar issue with mine...

Jack

Well, thought I was good. Got my steering joint/shaft in and went to roll the II out. Backs up fine, reverse is good. Go to go forward and ****, nothing much. 2nd and 3rd, car will move, bam, code pops back up. P0758, A solehoid, 2-3 shift. ****, now I gotta figure out why.

Maybe a solenoid needs replacing? Everything seems to be wired up right, powered and connectors are good.

Quick Reply: What is "limp mode"?