Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS powered Miata swap- Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

At least you found the pedal feel issue. Rock onward; you're doing a great job. It's always interesting for me to follow these types of builds.

BTW, I'm still messing around with the suspension after 5 years. Am in the process of yet another spring rate change in an effort to find more road course speed. Always, a work in progress.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, well the pedal still doesn't feel that stiff. It is just a little harder than my Civic. I wonder if that is just how LS7 clutches are? Anyways, got everything back in the car and all wired up yesterday. Nothing was going as planned all morning, so of course it didn't fire right up. Didn't have time to check and see what was going on before i had to get ready for work. Should be shutting down early today which will give me some extra time to figure it all out hopefully. Also, you can see where i'm going to route the intake. I have some more cutting and welding to do, but the filter should sit inside the front bumper.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS7 clutch should feel like stock.

Looks good! Cranks but no fire? have 58psi fuel pressure? Power to the coils? Power to the PCM? Can you plug a scan tool into the PCM?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

It turns over, but no spark. I have only been giving it 47ish psi of fuel pressure, so i need to turn that up. I didn't check power to the coils yet, but yesterday i did check power and switched power to the computer. I don't have a diagnostic port to plug into, but i'm going to try and stop by a junkyard on monday to pick one up. It is always something simple... and probably stupid. haha
Old 04-12-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

If I remember correctly, you have PCM switched power, PCM Constant power, Left bank coils, right bank coils, and the last one for everything else, but don't quote me on it. Its been about 8 months since I've picked my harness clean of all the junk and got it "stand alone" ready.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:24 AM
On The Tree

Looking good.

Check your harness and motor to chassis grounds.

It really is usually that simple.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

The coil ground is located at the back of the cylinder head. 15mm headed bolt
Old 04-12-2009, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

There are 3 grounds that i have grounded to the back of the drivers side head. Every PCM ground at the computer is showing to be grounded, all 5 pink wires are getting a switched 12v, and the 2 PCM orange wires are getting a constant 12v. I am getting 12v switched to the coils, just not constant. I checked that my crank position sensor is plugged in as well as my cam position sensor. Everything seems to be wired correctly, i'm just not getting fire. I even tried switching out to a stock PCM and the same results.

Any ideas? I'm about stumped now. haha
Old 04-12-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Time to add the ALDL connector and see what the PCM has to say. Last time mine did that, it had a bad crank position sensor.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

is it getting a spark and is it getting fuel?

can you hear the fuel pump kick in? and getting enough pressure?

if it's not getting sprak I'd have to agree with above, crank sensor is a likley cause

Is the ECU programed for the right crank reluctor wheel? iee 58x vs 24x? I assume it's 24x, but you never know
Old 04-13-2009, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
Time to add the ALDL connector and see what the PCM has to say. Last time mine did that, it had a bad crank position sensor.
Yep, that is priority #1 today. Thanks man.

Originally Posted by eric1h

if it's not getting sprak I'd have to agree with above, crank sensor is a likley cause

Is the ECU programed for the right crank reluctor wheel? iee 58x vs 24x? I assume it's 24x, but you never know
Crank sensor is what it's sounding like. It is a 2004 LS1 with a black crank sensor plug. All that spells that it should be a 24x wheel. Hopefully i will know for sure when i hook up a scan tool.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Scanner says everything is fine. There are no codes. Now i'm truly stumped and confused.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Do you have bank1 & bank2 coil connectors located correctly? Same for fuel injector connectors? Bank1 is driver side & includes engine temp sensor in that side of the harness. Are the front 02 sensors installed?

Odd that there are no codes such as neutral switch, clutch switch, air pump related stuff. What's turned off in the PCM?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...l#post11424105

I just posted this up in hopes of someone magically having the answer. All the wiring seems to correspond with my diagrams, and was not altered from its original position in the harness. I have no clue what all was turned off in my PCM. I called the guy at Wait4Me since they put the base tune on it, but he said he didn't have time to help diagnose. Understandable i guess.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

If Waitforme performance uses EFI Live, have him send you an e-mail of the tune & then post the file here. Even if not EFILive, have him send the file & the name of the software used. Then post the file in the tuning section along w/ the Swap won't start thread. I can help if he has EFI Live. If software related, could be a number of things like neutral switch feedback, clutch switch feedback, VATS...etc..
Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Have you tested your coils to see if they are sparking?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1-450
If Waitforme performance uses EFI Live, have him send you an e-mail of the tune & then post the file here. Even if not EFILive, have him send the file & the name of the software used. Then post the file in the tuning section along w/ the Swap won't start thread. I can help if he has EFI Live. If software related, could be a number of things like neutral switch feedback, clutch switch feedback, VATS...etc..
I talked to him today and he basically said he didn't have time to help me out. I will see if he can e-mail me the tune though.

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
Have you tested your coils to see if they are sparking?
Still no spark.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Exactly what I would expect frome Jesse. The two conversations I had with him about a potential purchase consisted of him exhibiting surprisingly limited knowledge of the engines he tunes. Then him getting angry when I attempted to explain he was incorrect.

I just told him have a nice day and went with brian at PCMforless.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dark_dementshun
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...l#post11424105

I just posted this up in hopes of someone magically having the answer. All the wiring seems to correspond with my diagrams, and was not altered from its original position in the harness. I have no clue what all was turned off in my PCM. I called the guy at Wait4Me since they put the base tune on it, but he said he didn't have time to help diagnose. Understandable i guess.
Doesn't have time huh, wow. Awesome customer service right there I tell ya.

I didn't see any mention of this though. On the fuel part when you turn the key on but not start the car. Can you hear the fuel pump prime? If not something to look at there maybe a bad relay or something.

As far as no spark I'd be interested in seeing what was done on the tune. If you can get a look at it or have some pull it and post it up that would help...

Tails
Old 04-14-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Tell ya what, I'll make a deal for you. I'll trade you my running miata for your dead miata so you don't have to deal with it anymore.

Good deal eh?

My money is still on the crank/cam angle sensors. A tune won't effect start up, unless VATS has not been deleted

Quick Reply: LS powered Miata swap- Build Thread