Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS powered Miata swap- Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HPTuners.com

Quit dealing with a middle man and start tuning yourself. Its a steep learning curve, but tuning yourself brings a whole new level of pride to the picture
Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd put my money on the pcm not being programmed correctly. To many things missing with a swap. I would get it reprogrammed and go from there.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tails8
Doesn't have time huh, wow. Awesome customer service right there I tell ya.

I didn't see any mention of this though. On the fuel part when you turn the key on but not start the car. Can you hear the fuel pump prime? If not something to look at there maybe a bad relay or something.

As far as no spark I'd be interested in seeing what was done on the tune. If you can get a look at it or have some pull it and post it up that would help...

Tails
Yeah, i sent him a nice e-mail about his "customer service". Will be interested if he says anything in response.

So far as fuel goes, i have the fuel pump wired into the chassis wires so it comes on when the ignition does. That is also the same circuit i have my 5 pink wires tapped into. I thought maybe they were not getting enough signal from the 30amp fuse, but changing locations did nothing to either voltage or outcome. I would be interested to see what was done on the tune too. Going to see what i can come up with there.

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
Tell ya what, I'll make a deal for you. I'll trade you my running miata for your dead miata so you don't have to deal with it anymore.

Good deal eh?

My money is still on the crank/cam angle sensors. A tune won't effect start up, unless VATS has not been deleted
haha, i will pass right now. I do think one of those sensors could be the issue as well. It just seems odd that the 2 symptoms (no fuel, no spark) are the same as when the VATS is working. It seems that most people that have had bad cam/crank sensors just have a poorly running car... but it still will run. I don't know though.

Also i am seriously considering buying some tuning hardware/software. I'm still doing some research between HP Tuners and EFILive. I'm not going to start a discussion on it, just something i'm pondering.

Originally Posted by j99vette
I'd put my money on the pcm not being programmed correctly. To many things missing with a swap. I would get it reprogrammed and go from there.
I really hope it is that simple. Going to try and get in touch with a friend today that has HP Tuners, and see if he can help me out some.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.v8rx7forum.com/v8-rx7-tec...-problems.html

EFILive vs HPT is a toss up. I've used both and have my preference, but others see it differently....... Ford Vs Chevrolet
Old 04-14-2009, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Ok I can help you a little maybe. My rx7 LS1 will start for 5 seconds or so and I dont think I have the crank angle sensor plugged in.... so that might rule out one thing??? That or whatever sensor is on the back of the motor under the intake manifold and below the one in the back of the intake manifold. It takes a black 3 pin connector. Hope that helps. Also someone told me my problem might be the VATS.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Back of the engine where your describing is the cam position sensor. If it starts, VATS is not your issue
Old 04-15-2009, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, VATS doesn't allow fuel or spark which are my exact symptoms. I have confirmed that my crank and cam sensors are indeed plugged in.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

hey, a small detail, where did you get the throttle cable bracket? I am trying to find one now.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dark_dementshun
Yeah, VATS doesn't allow fuel or spark which are my exact symptoms. I have confirmed that my crank and cam sensors are indeed plugged in.

HPTuners is your answer then! Hurry up and order it so you can have the thing running ASAP!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by eric1h
hey, a small detail, where did you get the throttle cable bracket? I am trying to find one now.
I got one off a junkyard motor my friend picked up. Just go to a local pick and pull, and you might get lucky. Otherwise it shouldn't be hard to make one yourself.

HPTuners is your answer then! Hurry up and order it so you can have the thing running ASAP!
Going to borrow a friends setup tomorrow, and hopefully figure it out sunday.

Got a couple other things in order that some die hard Miata guys are going to hate. I ordered the rear AWR Fender Flares for one. Since they mold into the quarter panels and rear bumper i might as well paint the car. More on all that later.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Got a couple other things in order that some die hard Miata guys are going to hate.

Pfffffft; you've been on their most wanted list since the day you bought a Miata as a platform for an engine swap.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

I got one off a junkyard motor my friend picked up. Just go to a local pick and pull, and you might get lucky. Otherwise it shouldn't be hard to make one yourself.

Going to borrow a friends setup tomorrow, and hopefully figure it out sunday.

Got a couple other things in order that some die hard Miata guys are going to hate. I ordered the rear AWR Fender Flares for one. Since they mold into the quarter panels and rear bumper i might as well paint the car. More on all that later.

How much would you charge to program another ECU while you have the gear? :-D
Old 04-19-2009, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

She's alive!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! hows she run? so what was it?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Better have some big tires to fill them

15x9 6UL's and 275 hoosiers would fit the bill nicely, while 15x8 RB's with 225 RS2's take up street duty
Old 04-19-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

She's alive!
And ???????????
Old 04-19-2009, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

What did the problem end up being?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry for the super short update there. I had the computer hooked up outside with the HP Tuners running.

It ended up being crank position sensor. Glad i had the HP Tuners scanner to tell me that or else it would have taken me a while to narrow it down. Everything runs great, although i am having some charging issues... who cares right now. The big thing is that it runs! It is just running open header, so it scared the heck out of me when it first started up.

Better have some big tires to fill them

15x9 6UL's and 275 hoosiers would fit the bill nicely, while 15x8 RB's with 225 RS2's take up street duty
The 15x9 6UL's with 275/50/15's are exactly what i am planning on running in the rear. I think some 15x8's up front with some 205's would be nice too.

Anyways, right now i have the biggest grin on my face that won't come off.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Excellent! Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Awesome! so was the Crank sensor bad, or just something in the tune?are you or your friend able to tune another ECU? :-D

Quick Reply: LS powered Miata swap- Build Thread