Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS powered Miata swap- Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Excellent! Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update.
And thank you for all your help! That goes to a bunch of ya'll that have helped me out. A bunch of friends from around here came out to see her today. It sounds mean open header; almost has a lope at idle. haha

Originally Posted by eric1h
Awesome! so was the Crank sensor bad, or just something in the tune?are you or your friend able to tune another ECU? :-D
Just a bad sensor i guess. Scanning the PCM doesn't require use of any credits, so this didn't cost me anything. If we were to edit the tune on a PCM, it cost $50 per credit. I'm giving him back his hardware tomorrow so he can tune his car some more. This let me see that i definitely want to buy an HP Tuners setup though!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Awesome man. Congrats on getting her running. Know how ya feel about it scaring the **** outta ya..

Tails
Old 04-20-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
My money is still on the crank/cam angle sensors. A tune won't effect start up, unless VATS has not been deleted

I win! Let me know when you want to paypal me the online diagnostic fee
Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
I win! Let me know when you want to paypal me the online diagnostic fee

haha, I still can't believe it wasn't VATS. I was sure of it!

Anyways, today made this a 3 day weekend for me. I finally decided the route i am going to take with the rear end. I picked up an RX7 T2 rear diff for under $100 including gas for the 3 hour trip. I figure between differential, axles, hubs, and driveshaft, i should have around $1000 in it. The turbo RX7 guys have had good luck with them, so i'm sure it can handle my power. If not i can at least get my money out of it from a turbo Miata guy.

Here it is next to my stock Miata diff.

And a sneak peak of the mess the Miata is in right now.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

that a 6 or 7 inch miata rear? Why the T2 over the torsen FD rear? They do okay in the FD pigs, so I'm sure they'd be fine for a little miata, plus losing the torsen (if you so have one) kind of sucks. What will you need to do to make the rest of the rear end work? CV's, hubs?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

I do believe that was the 6" Miata rear. The S4 T2 diff is a clutch type LSD and is supposed to be a little stronger as well as lock immediately. Considering several of the RX7 guys have gone mid 9's at 140+mph with these, I think I should be fine with it in a lighter car.

MiataRoadster sells modified hubs. Then you simply bolt the differential in place (have to fab a front mount), pop in some stock T2 axles, and get a driveshaft made. The main thing i like is if/when i break an axle, it is only a trip to the auto parts store away to fix it. The FD differentials bolt inside the T2 housing as well.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

You just made my life a lot easier! I'm going to go with the FD rear end as I don't plan on any straight line stuff, but am still scared of the 7 inch torsen and the 8 inch will yield more confidence.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

What gear ratios are available in that rear?
What year Rx7's?
Whats with the hood?
Old 04-23-2009, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

The T2's only come in 4.1 gears from what i understand. I know you can swap to the 929 gears, but i'm not sure what they are. The differentials come out of the 86-92 Turbo RX7's, with the earlier years (S4) having the stronger clutch type limited slip. The FD LSD differential itself will bolt inside the FC housing allowing you to run a viscous limited slip if that is what you prefer. Also it looks like Kaaz makes a nice replacement LSD and driveshaft shop has quite a few upgrades for axles/hubs. Granny's speed shop sells the ends for the driveshaft whenever you get to that part.

So far as the hood goes, i ended up massaging it a little for the intake pipe to have some more clearance up front. The heat made the paint peel, and the rest was where i started using some aircraft paint remover. The AWR fender flares came in yesterday, so next weekend is time to start cutting.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Passenger fender and door have 1 coat of paint now as well as the front bumper. I cut out the lower part of the rear bumper, cut and welded up the rear fenders, and have the passenger flare still screwed in place as the epoxy is curing.

Looks like i will have plenty of room for some decent sized tires now.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ruh roh... stupid lip comin soon?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Gonna need wheel spacers with those 15X9 6ul's You gonna spray foam the area between the flare and the sheetmetal in the back?

Lookin real good Dark.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Not if he runs 275 hoosiers!!! Sportmaxx DD and 6UL race would be a sweet combo
Old 04-29-2009, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JDishong
Gonna need wheel spacers with those 15X9 6ul's You gonna spray foam the area between the flare and the sheetmetal in the back?

Lookin real good Dark.

Yeah, i think i might need a little bit of a spacer even with the 275's. The flares seem a bit larger than i expected... which isn't a bad thing at all!

Right now my plan is to use the expanding foam to fill the gap between the fiberglass flare and the original fender, and then create a fiberglass fender liner to strengthen the bottom lip. I did lay on 2 more layers of chop fiberglass mat before securing it to the body. After all that i expect it will be about as strong as i can reasonably get it.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Matt, awesome thread. I can't believe that I just stumbled on this today. Looks heat and nice job with the step by step. I wish I would have done this with my build. Oh well hope to see you out in it soon.
Nathan
Old 04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Thank ya Nathan. It won't be anything like the 240, but i think it will be a ton of fun still. Give me a couple months, and we will have to all head out to the track sometime.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Picked up another Miata today. Going to swap over the hardtop, suspension, headlights, and few other little things. This one just needs a new motor, and it should be driveable. Then one Miata for a daily driver, and one for weekend fun.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

Gonna put the old miata motor in the new one? Looking good man!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Teching In

I'm proud, I was going to suggest the CPS since I had this exact prob w/my car man! Go me

Anyway, WHY don't we have video of the car running????? It doesn't have to be much :>
Old 05-06-2009, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phantom_LS2
Gonna put the old miata motor in the new one? Looking good man!
I wish i had the old Miata motor. I think i'm going to try to pick up a 1.8L sometime though.

Originally Posted by mac_24_seven
WHY don't we have video of the car running????? It doesn't have to be much :>
I don't have a video camera right now, but you better believe once it get it on the road i will borrow or buy one!

Considering i had a 3 day weekend, it doesn't feel like i got much done even though i worked on it ALL weekend. I worked on getting the passenger side flare molded in. I'm almost happy with it, but rain started blowing in yesterday so i threw a couple coats of paint on it really quick. Gotta sand all that down and smooth out a couple more little spots.

I also worked on making an inner fender liner out of foam. I have it mostly shaped out, and then i'm going to fiberglass over it. That should strengthen it up pretty well. Also layed a couple layers of chop mat in the drivers side flare before epoxying in to the quarter panel.

Basically my weekend summed up is that i molded in the passengers side flare, epoxied on the drivers side flare, started on a fender liner for the passenger side, cleaned up the white Miata some, worked on the hood a little, and swapped in some new headlights.

And now to the quick photos!

Quick Reply: LS powered Miata swap- Build Thread