Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS powered Miata swap- Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh - I was just thinking how humorous it could be if you painted both cars the same, & kept the LS1 quiet... You'd have the ability to really screw with people!

(OTOH, with a DMH electric cutout on the LS1, you could pull up to an Integra {or similar ricer}, throw a rev, & see their faces as you watched 'em wet themselves...)
Old 05-06-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dark_dementshun
I wish i had the old Miata motor. I think i'm going to try to pick up a 1.8L sometime though.

You should buy the FMII 1.6 I have sitting in my car. It'd be a good reason for me to drive down to look at the build in person while telling the woman we are on "paid" vacation.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you get the headlights??? looks like the body work is coming along great
Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

How are you planning on making the transition from the back side of the fender flare into the rear bumper? Same process as the flare itself?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Any updates?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Heh - I was just thinking how humorous it could be if you painted both cars the same, & kept the LS1 quiet... You'd have the ability to really screw with people!

(OTOH, with a DMH electric cutout on the LS1, you could pull up to an Integra {or similar ricer}, throw a rev, & see their faces as you watched 'em wet themselves...)
A friend is selling his black NA Miata right now too. He swapped in the newer 1.8, and told me a price i can't refuse since he is moving. Now I'm going to have 3 Miata's! haha 1 as a daily driver, then the LS1 one for the weekends, and the other for a parts car/project car.

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
You should buy the FMII 1.6 I have sitting in my car. It'd be a good reason for me to drive down to look at the build in person while telling the woman we are on "paid" vacation.
Wish i could afford it! If ya'll ever are close to the area just let me know.

Originally Posted by j99vette
where did you get the headlights??? looks like the body work is coming along great
They came with the white Miata. They use the 90mm Hella lamps which are supposed to have pretty good light output over stock. The carbonfiber covers don't fit the best, but with a little tweaking i'm sure it will do.

Originally Posted by Phantom_LS2
How are you planning on making the transition from the back side of the fender flare into the rear bumper? Same process as the flare itself?
AWR has a rear bumper section that is supposed to be molded into the bumper for a seamless transition. I'm not too fond of bondo on a flexible area like that, so i'm going to probably just leave it bolted on depending on how it looks.

Originally Posted by blueshark123
Any updates?
Yes, sorry. I mainly spent the weekend cleaning up and hauling parts out to my shed for storage. Gotta make room for 1 more Miata!

I did find that i made a slight mistake when installing the flares. The flares are designed to let you move the wheel wells a little forward so that it actually centers up the wheel in it. Apparantly i overdid it a little, and didn't take note of the position of the bumper piece. I ended up trimming the whole rear section of the flare to give a little more room. I really need to get the 6uls in with the 275's so i can see exactly what needs to stay and what needs to go. The tires i am using to test fit are about the same width and just a little taller. After the little bit of trimming i did, i can easily tuck them all the way in the fender wells, so no harm done in the end.

Other than that, i started on the other fender flare. Going to set it up exactly as this one is, and trim it as well. Found some axles, and am paying for them in the morning. Guess that's about it, but it sure does feel nice to have a clean work area! Photos soon!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow man thats a helluva lot of work in a relativley short time, mad props. car looks great!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

The T2's only come in 4.1 gears from what i understand. I know you can swap to the 929 gears, but i'm not sure what they are. The differentials come out of the 86-92 Turbo RX7's, with the earlier years (S4) having the stronger clutch type limited slip. The FD LSD differential itself will bolt inside the FC housing allowing you to run a viscous limited slip if that is what you prefer. Also it looks like Kaaz makes a nice replacement LSD and driveshaft shop has quite a few upgrades for axles/hubs. Granny's speed shop sells the ends for the driveshaft whenever you get to that part.

So far as the hood goes, i ended up massaging it a little for the intake pipe to have some more clearance up front. The heat made the paint peel, and the rest was where i started using some aircraft paint remover. The AWR fender flares came in yesterday, so next weekend is time to start cutting.
Some more info on the 929 rear end- Andris has been a MAJOR help with all this as I am copying his rear end setup

Manual transmission 929 = 3.73 rear end. Its also WORLDS easier to mount onto your subframe
Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 AM
Teching In

love the car man would love to do it with my miata. but just daily driver for now. want to sell any of the extra rims
Old 05-12-2009, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
wow man thats a helluva lot of work in a relativley short time, mad props. car looks great!
Thanks man. My girlfriend doesn't like all the time spent on the car, but thank God she is pretty understanding. Still a little ways to go before the car is on the road though!

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
Some more info on the 929 rear end- Andris has been a MAJOR help with all this as I am copying his rear end setup

Manual transmission 929 = 3.73 rear end. Its also WORLDS easier to mount onto your subframe
Yes, i was reading about using just the snout of the differential since it is shorter, and then the ring/pinion bolt right in giving you the 3.73 gears. Seems pretty nice, but for now i just want to get it on the road and go from there. Remember, the 929 drivers side axle is the same size as the T2 axles and you can find them all over the internet for sale.... unlike the Turbo 2 axles. If i hadn't stumbled across some T2 axles, that is the route i would have taken.

Originally Posted by Andrew600
love the car man would love to do it with my miata. but just daily driver for now. want to sell any of the extra rims
Thanks man. All the rims i have are spoken for at the moment. Once i start buying a couple different setups for the Miata's, that might change pretty fast.

Photo update as promised.

So the fender issue is the one i have been focused on lately, so that is mainly what is shown here. The tire i used to test everything is around a 275/60/15 the best i can tell, so it is a little taller than the tires i will be using.

Here is it at full droop.

And a rear view with a tape measure thrown in for good measure. Yes, depending on the offset of my rims i am going to have to space my wheels out a little to fill up the wells. I'm not too worried about looks right now though, just want the tires to be covered and have plenty of room.

Here is the tire almost touching inside the top of the wheel well, and that is where we have contact now at the rear. Remember, this is after i trimmed up the rear about 1/2"-5/8".

So you can see, i only had a couple options. I could have completely ripped these flares off and started over with some new ones, or do the best that you can with what you have got now. I figure i can always go back later if it ends up being that big of a deal.

Here is probably around where i will have it to drive around. Plenty of room.

I'm sure as i adjust some of the camber, it will help a bit too.

A quick shot of the other side even though i didn't get much at all done. You can also see where i marked to cut out the rear to match the other side.

And yes, everything is still good under the hood. I did remove all the bracing for some extra clearance, but that shouldn't affect much when it is latched down.

So all in all, i have a lot to finish up. I'm just glad it has come this far.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:08 AM
Staging Lane

dude i love you lol jk. i bought a 90 miata a while back and im thinkin about doin this. just got to find a job first.

ohh and whoever asked about the headlights you can get them here plus alot more stuff
http://www.gomiata.com/accessories-e...1990-1997.html

and if you want some really cool parts straight from japan heres a site for u
http://rev9autosport.com/shop/index.php?cPath=21
Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Glad to see you havnt completely left t3h Honda game!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Teching In

looking good
Old 05-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

you can use 5/16 EFI quick connects (same as the lsx return size) for the miata tank tubes.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1_miata
you can use 5/16 EFI quick connects (same as the lsx return size) for the miata tank tubes.
Thanks for confirming that! That is one thing i really need to address here at the end of my swap.

There really isn't much of an update right now. I bought a 3rd Miata as a daily driver. My friend had already swapped in a newer 1.8, so it has a little pep... but nothing like the LS1 is going to have. Still, it gives my girlfriend and I separate transportation, and is plenty fun to drive. Oh yeah, and my Civic still gets almost 40 mpg!

I did get some Turbo 2 axles in the other day, so all i need is hubs, driveshaft, radiator, fans, and then on to the pesky little stuff. Just taking it slow here to make sure i get everything the way i want it.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

You could have a stock LS1 driveshaft shortened with the correct rear yoke to fit the TII rear. They are out there for it. Maybe hit up Andris again to see if he knows what the yoke is off, since the 929 and the TII yokes have the same spread.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Bumping this up to see if you've looked at it in the last 2 weeks
Old 06-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Teching In

I can't wait to see this finished. Great build!
Old 06-12-2009, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks man! Yeah, work has just kept me busy lately which isn't a bad thing. I have really been focusing on the new miata and getting it set up as a safe daily driver. Also been saving up so i can order the couple little things i need to finish up. 949racing just got in their first shipment of wheels, so as soon as they get back in stock i will be ordering those with some tires. Then i can set the flares again, and get the body work over with.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

How many Miatas do you own now?

Quick Reply: LS powered Miata swap- Build Thread