Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the fourm installing an LS1 in a T/A

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the fourm installing an LS1 in a T/A

Hi all I’m new to the forum, I own a “78” Trans Am with fisher “T” tops, Gen 2 F body, originally came with a 400ci & a TH350 trani. S/N’s matching but am removing them & installing a LS1 6.0L from a 2003 Chevy Silverado Truck aluminum heads & Iron block, the engine came complete with all accessories, wiring harness & computer. I will be replacing the trani with a TH200-R4 modified to accept the HP and a Ford nodular 9” rear end.
I know the intake manifold is too tall and will be replacing it with an LS6 intake or a Fast LSX 92mm intake.
My first few question to ya all is.

1. Is the oil pan going to fit? Or will it hang to low below the cross member? Will I haft to get a pan from a “98-02” Camero/Firebird with an LS1?

2. Will the accessories on truck set up work? Looking @ it from the front the A/C compressor sits @ the lower left, the P/S pump sits @ the lower right, & the alternator is @ upper right. If this won’t work what accessory set up will I need and from what vehicle?

I have already purchased motor mounts from Street & performance & a set of subframe connectors. Any advice and help up front from ya all is more than welcome to help my conversion go smoothly is much appreciated.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

1st off welcome to the board- theres lots of good helpful people here to ask all these questions. 2ndly I dont have the answers your looking for, as I'm doing a ls6 in a 69 bird - I started the project over 4 years ago and its been in bodyman jail for 3.5 years and counting. As for the rest of your project- might I ask why you dont go 4l60e or 4l65e for a trans? and why a 9"?? the 9" is a proven rear end and also costly to build. your 78 Trans am should have a corporate 10 bolt 8.5" that can take alot more power than you have lined up and it should be posi already! so I would just re-gear it 3.23,3.42 or 3.73 are easy to find gears, IMO save your money for things you have to have -the fuel system and wiring it up - good luck with your project and have fun with it!
Old 12-30-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you check your 10 bolt should have 3:23 gears already. And it will take all you can put to it from the mostly stock 6.0. the oil pan will hang down too low. try an 08 hummer H3 pan or if you dont mind notching th sub frame then use a camaro pan. i'd stay with a 4L60E and use the factory truck PCM to run it. Just upgrade the 2-4 band servo and shift kit it and you will be fine. JMHO
Old 12-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no reason to notch the frame for an f-body pan
Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Teching In

I decided to go with the TH200-R4 because it offers a more reasonable first gear ratio along with a slightly deeper overdrive ratio compaired to the TH700-R4 and with a few modifications it can handle 600+ HP and should fit without hacking up my tunnel. Also I had one sitting around also have a TH400 but but I beleive the TH200 will get me much better gas mileage so I get my cake and eat it too.
I have a nodular 9" also sitting around their pretty much bulliet proof and I beleive my gear ratio is 3:50.
I will be doing all the wiring and plan to keep the orginal computer I modified my Fiero installed a 3800 supercharded (L67) so I have a little knowledge on transplants.

To start with on my 6.0L it only has 30,000 miles on it just giong to strap on a set headers, cam it, and a better intake hopfully the Fast LSX 92mm.

But as always I want all you guy's input because nothing is set in stone here.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

If you are planning on going with an LS6 or Fast intake there are issues with clearance between the throttle body and the truck accessory drive. I don't remember the exact details but I'm sure someone can chime in.

The truck pan will hang too low and so will the LH8 Hummer pan. The F-body pan works well but I'm not sure about the truck accessories hitting the crossmember.

I'm using the Edelbrock adapter plates and swap headers. Everyone I've talked to who are using them have been real pleased with them.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Ok guy’s I tried at the local junk yards to get an “98-02” pan theirs none to be had around here which seems unbelievable, I only live 1 hour north of Boise Idaho on the Oregon boarder.
So last night I ordered an oil pan from www.brphotrods.com LS2/LH8 conversion oil pan for Camaro/Chevelle it comes complete new bolts, ”O” ring, oil pickup, & windage tray cost $273.99 delivered to my door. They show it side by side with an “98-02” pan looks like plenty of clearance for the crossmember and appears to be the same height as “98-02”.
Can anyone chime in on the statement of olblue51 clearance of the throttle body clearance with the Truck accessory drive using a LS6 or FAST intake ?
Old 12-31-2008, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Here is an explanation and a solution to the throttle body clearance issue ...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ack-stock.html
Old 12-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Default 78 ta

The h2 pan you ordered will hang about a 1 inch below the crossmember with the plates your are using or any plates except Brp,s. Do yourself a favor and do not order the Brp,s mount kit. Been ther done that.The f body pan sits level with the crossmember and you do not have to notch the frame.You will have to relocate the stationary motor mounts (pads) if you are using clam shells so that everything clears.If you using the old stye mounts thats ok too,
By using adapter plates the motor will sit low and back plus clear the floor board even if you get smart and use the 4l60e. I used the edelbrock headers on my 78 trans am with the 4l60e and it all fits good.If you stay with the 200r4 what are you doing about the lock up convertor?Or how are you going to hook up you detent (passing gear cable?). These things must be hooked up for the 200r4 to work.The 4l60e is just plug and play with a good harness(speartech or others).Did I mention besides owning a 78 T A with an ls1 I also Own a transmission shop? So I kind of know about these things.Last you are going to have to use a different a/c compressor (sanden )so you might as well relocate it high on the passenger side .
Old 12-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Teching In

I have put a stop order on the oil pan being it's New year's thier closed they havent filled the order From now on I'm going to pull my head out of my *** get a little patience and consult you guru's before acting.
Also have reconsidered and will go with the 4l60E transmission. Mrtywalsh to install this transmission do ya haft to modify the tunnel?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stress fracture
I decided to go with the TH200-R4 because it offers a more reasonable first gear ratio along with a slightly deeper overdrive ratio compaired to the TH700-R4 and with a few modifications it can handle 600+ HP and should fit without hacking up my tunnel. Also I had one sitting around also have a TH400 but but I beleive the TH200 will get me much better gas mileage so I get my cake and eat it too.
I have a nodular 9" also sitting around their pretty much bulliet proof and I beleive my gear ratio is 3:50.
I will be doing all the wiring and plan to keep the orginal computer I modified my Fiero installed a 3800 supercharded (L67) so I have a little knowledge on transplants.

To start with on my 6.0L it only has 30,000 miles on it just giong to strap on a set headers, cam it, and a better intake hopfully the Fast LSX 92mm.

But as always I want all you guy's input because nothing is set in stone here.
I am probably outnumbered on here, but I liked your choice of trans and rear end for exactly the reasons given in this post! I am probably prejudiced because I have this setup in my street rod ('34 Ford coupe), and I love it for the reasons you stated. The higher first and second gears and the closer spacing makes a much nicer street setup, especially if you run deeper gears in the rear end, as I do. (4.10) Pulls like a bear in third, and with the higher overdrive ratio (.67) it still has low RPM in highway driving. AS far as the lockup goes, a small wiring kit will let it automatically lock up when it shifts into OD and you can also include a toggle switch as I did , so you can run it locked or unlocked. I've got a Vigilante 3000 convertor and I usually run it unlocked in OD around here locally, ( to keep it from bucking at low RPM with the cam I have) and then I run it locked up out on the highway. You will have to spend a little time on the TV cable, (it's NOT a passing gear cable even if it does control the gear changes!) It is very CRITICAL to have the geometry right or you run the risk of destroying the trans! I've mentioned this before. There is a member on here, screen name *LS1MCSS*, who has the best solution to this I have seen. (he ought to make a kit). Look up his posts or PM him. He even has some really good pictures of his set up. I'm done!, and ,by the way, good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

I hope you have the Buick GN version of the 2004r...otherwise you'll be rolling the dice trying to build it tough.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Teching In

I was in touch with Art Carr over a year ago California performance transmissions (CPT) on the TH200R-4 he claim’s with his modifications a 10 vane pump, intermediate drum assembly hardened support that more than triples its torque capacity to breakage, increases the 4th gear apply clutch from two to three a 50% increase also use’s red eagle clutch material with kolene steel separator plates. Also increased number of clutch plates from 5 to 8 60% over stock. Also a stronger second-gear apply band with 20% more friction material surface area on the band for better holding power and 10” mega torque converter, his transmissions can take 800hp +. And ya also want a transmission with valvebody casting numbers ending in 7-12
At the time I talked with him it would be around $1400.00 me doing the work him supplying the parts. I’m sure it’s much more now due to inflation.
I myself am still in limbo on what transmission to drop in, and doing research and will be chatting with mrtywalsh on the forum being he owns a transmission shop himself. But the plug and play and the computer doing all the shifting makes things much easier.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Glad you are taking the choice seriously....too many guys listen to just anyone and trust their ride to an ill-prepared transmission. Sounds like you know exactly which basis to start with, I doubt you'll have the problems I've seen.

I've had too four speeds...one 200 and one 700. Both were rebuilt by poeople who blew smoke better than they handled their business. The 200 was built twice. I remain very leary of these trasnmissions because of the troubles I have had. Of course both of mine were early 80's models, well before the decent ones were built by GM. Here in Texas we have a bunch of shops that have no clue. I've seen many a four speed tank behind hi-performance motors. Good friend of mine bought a 700R4 to go behind his built to the hilt 396 [600 rwhp]. Kim Barr built the motor and even told him to get a TH400 [as did a few others I know], but he decided that the 700 would be better off the line. Had the right person built it, he might have been right. It blew the very first time out of the garage.

With AC at the helm I doubt I'd have an issue with the tranny no matter what the model number. Whatever you decide on, let us know what was done and what model tranny you chose.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*Gray Ghost* is right about picking the right builder for your 2004R. I still think it is a good choice, and I definately would choose it again. Not saying anything's wrong with vendors on this site, but you might check out the Buick guys GN forum. They have a few builders that seem to be at the cutting edge as far as making a 2004R live. A few of them respond to questions in the automatic transmission portion of this site. It depends a lot on how much power you're going to put through it. Ron
Old 01-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Banned

I dont mean to hijack your thread or anything but i might be doing a similar build as yours in the future. I might be getting my fathers 78 ta and im thinking of putting a 402 or so ls2 in it but its an auto. i was just wondering what problems you ran into besides the oil pan? Did you do all the work yourself? Cause i could only do alil by myself lol thanks alot
Old 01-08-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

just to let you know, a 6.0 out of a 03 silverado is not an LS1, big difference in price.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Andrew69 04 correct me if I’m wrong but the engine I pulled out of the “03” Chevy Silverado is a gen III LS1 Iron block Aluminum heads (LQ4) 364 cid with a 4.00”bore X 3.62 stroke. Stock has 350 hp @5200 rpm & 391 lb-ft of torque @ 4400 rpm?

Jiggaboo I will be doing all the work myself installing new floor pans, quarter panels, wiring, and painting. Just started doing the work. So far I found out I need a oil pan from a “98-02” Camaro/firebird and need a different intake, the truck intake will be too high & will need to change my accessories set up apparently the drive belt will hit the throttle body.
The transmission I’m still in limbo about and doing research. I will be getting a hold of Marty Walsh on the forum he owns a transmission shop & I want his input. But allot of people on the forum including Martyare leaning on the 4L60E

I did call Art Carr yesterday again (California Performance Transmissions) & he says go with the TH200-R4 with his modifications instead of the 4L60E & another article in Car Craft will be coming out about March with some awesome information on this transmission.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

So how much is Art's Extreme Duty 2004r?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Teching In

The parts including a 10" converter, right around $1400.00. Me doing the conversion.

Quick Reply: New to the fourm installing an LS1 in a T/A