Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS 1 type engine in a Late model Astro Van?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks I will keep the shop in mind as this goes on.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Hi I have been following your guy’s discussion on California engine swaps. I am interested in this information cuz I am installing an ls-1 into a 78 datsun 280z. I am just about finished with the swap except for getting it registered. I am kind of hesitant on taking it to the referee and I’ll explain why.

When I first talked to the referee I was about half way though the swap. He explained that the car has to obtain all of the obd-II control circuits, A.I.R. equipment, and all the smog equipment. Ok, I got all the equipment and installed it into the Z. All smog equipment including A.I.R. was installed into the car including the gas tank. Just before I took it to him to have him check it out I called to make sure everything was in order. At that time he explains that I would have to put the wheel speed senders on the car also. This being just about imposable I said "WHAT!!!" He further explained that since it controlled a misfire circuit through the EBTCM. I asked if I took the car in and it passed smog would he pass it "NO" he would have to send the information to his superior and let him make the decision. I don’t know if the ASTRO has Traction control or EBS but this is something that you might want to consider.

This guy seems pretty kewl and hope he will let it slide, i think its stupid myself but what what can i do? These guys can do just about anything they want to do just because they got on the wrong side of the bed.

The car was originally an out of state car, without cats. It now has cats and is cleaner than ever.

I don’t know exactly what I am going to do any suggestions???!

Briguy280z Pics
Old 11-11-2003, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

The engine misfires are part of the OBD II engine management system so that you don't have to worry about that, to my way of thinking.

I have no idea as to why he would want the wheel speed sensors as they would only impact the traction control system and ABS which you do not have. (nor want)

TCS and ABS can both be eliminated from the PCM by having the PCM reprogrammed by someone or by using LS1-Edit or by getting the PCM from a vehicle that did not have those options. You do have to watch out though, as all PCM's are not directly interchangeable. You can interchange them but you may have swap some of the wiring to do so.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Just look around. The last 3 cars I have owned have not had any emissions bull cats pump nothing. One was a 84 monte carlo the others have been camaros. The one I am currently building a 85 iroc with an LS1 will also not have any of that smog bull.You just have to look around and ask. Money talks If you know what I mean. Just dont make it that obvious.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:49 PM
Teching In

I know how you feel. The referee stations in Cal. are right no matter what. So do you do the swap and take the chance or like you now done and up to their mercy as to how it goes. I have talked to the referee station by me and they are against it as the way the law reads on my Van. I don't know if I want to do the swap and then find out I can't license it. I know a lot of guys here say it is a cleaner engine and so on but the referee staion is the last word as to yes or no and they don't care if it is cleaner just what does the book say. I have a letter now in the state smog office and I am waiting for their decision. So far I have got nothing but no from them. I may go to an older van and do it to the older van. From what I can find on the older van is if it is older than OBD anything it is ok as long as all the smog stuff is there from the donor car. I would rather the new but the darn smog law may change my mind for me. Good luck on your car Briguy280z. I hope you have better luck than I have had so far. I'll let everyone know what the state smog office says when I get an answer to my letter. Maybe the answer is move to different state.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 PWRD
The engine misfires are part of the OBD II engine management system
I think this is exactly what the referee is getting to. If its apart of the OBD II engine management system or any part of OBD II it is required. But this wire that comes off of the EBTCM that creates a misfire only sets a misfire if the wheel is slipping "Rough Road Conditions" If this happens the PCM checks for an engine misfire and then checks the EBTCM to see if it requested a misfire because of "Rough Road" If the wire is tied to 12V all the time the engine will not misfire unless it misfired in the engine never checking the EBTCM! I hope i am right!!!

Originally Posted by LS1 PWRD
TCS and ABS can both be eliminated from the PCM by having the PCM reprogrammed by someone or by using LS1-Edit or by getting the PCM from a vehicle that did not have those options.
Problem with that is that tamering with the PCM is Illegal and if done the referee will not let me pass. You might ask "How would he know?" Which brings me to my second point Traction Control is not on all Vehicals but ABS is! On every camaro/Vet/Firebird ABS is included in the car. I have the service manual and you will have eather the EBCM or a EBTCM in your car wheel sensors and all.
Which then gets back to the question above...If the referee were to ask what i did about the wheels sensors, i cant go about telling him i edited out of the PCM.
Only other thing would be to simulate wheel sensors but i would be doing exactly the same thing above; attaching it to 12V.

I think there is away, its just that i would like to take the shortest path

Briguy280z
Old 11-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sanctions1
I'll let everyone know what the state smog office says when I get an answer to my letter.
Got the letter back and not good news. Seems the state smog cops are staying with a no on the swap. They still say that the 2002 Astro van is smogged by the chassis and that the only legal engine is the 4.3 that it came with. So change of plans may be required. I have just gained access to an older Astro van so until I make up my mind I am going back to work on the 1930. Good luck with your swaps as mine is on hold for now.

Quick Reply: LS 1 type engine in a Late model Astro Van?