See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

My Budget LS Engine Swap Guide <$1500

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Without looking at a spreadsheet of where your money went 01cherryreds10, a problem you could have is you bought a long block... the key is buying an entire engine with as much attached as you can. Doing that allows you to throw away or sell what you don't need instead of trying to buy things you do.

I've done it for 2K, but I swapped transmissions and drive shafts, then made a lot of parts. It can be done - IF you keep it all stock parts. As we both know, simply adding a cam tosses a minimum of $400 down the hole, headers are another $300+, etc., etc..
Old 08-02-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is true I did get out of hand as well but I would of eventually upgraded. Buying a takeout wasn't an option for me around here, and I didn't have the time to build mounts, headers, etc.

I guess it all comes down to how comfortable you feel while doing the swap. I know when the car is on the road that its finished and I can move onto another. Id like to do the swap a lot cheaper next time but also something less complete. I modernized the entire car and am glad I did it.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Default 2010 5.3/6spd auto

Where or who make a harness for this setup I have everything mtr/trans/computer/harness from a Tahoe rollover but want it in my 64 nova any info is greatly appreciated thanks
Old 08-11-2011, 01:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

How much you feel like spending on it?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Lots of classic cars and swap in general can fit a cheap JY truck engine directly so <$1500 is well within reach. I did a similar swap in a 3rd gen for just under $2k using OEM parts, deal shopping and fabbing the big ticket aftermarket only items
Old 08-11-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread. Thanks for taking the time to put this together!
Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Teching In

I'am looking to do a ls3 in my chevelle
Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

I'm going to bump my question again..just because I want an answer.

The way I understand this is basically the original post is sayin for under $1500 and you can have a running LS Engine in a vehicle.

Which is true..but here's my question for this..

What type of vehicle are you doing this into, and what is in the vehicle to start with aswell as what are you using or have got?

I'm just tryin to understand the point of this thread..and in a way callin Bullshit on the title based on what I've done and the fact that quite a few will agree that the $1500 mark gets passed pretty quickly.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 PM

I just picked 52 ford truck, thanks for the post, extremely informative page. I am putting a 5.3 in it, found a complete one on Ebay that I just could not turn down.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Teching In

@the_merv - you sound bitter. Why troll this thread? Many of us have expressed to the noobs that $1500 is a barebones swap on a car that already had a capable fuel system, probably already has a V8 and trans that is capable, and it's a "mounts and wiring" proposition. $1500 is doable and basically gets you an upgraded V8 over what you had.

Now, I see your point. You and me and whole lot of others want more or start with a less friendly base vehicle. It normally costs about $5k to $10k once you add everything up. Going auto to manual? Figure on the higher end.

But really, I call bullshit on your attitude. Make a point. Add something useful. You seem to just be trolling for an argument and not adding anything valuable to the conversation. Maybe offer some advice on places where you did or could have saved a few bucks, or a lesson learned. Otherwise, you sound like butt hurt bitch, IMHO.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sikbrik
@the_merv - you sound bitter. Why troll this thread? Many of us have expressed to the noobs that $1500 is a barebones swap on a car that already had a capable fuel system, probably already has a V8 and trans that is capable, and it's a "mounts and wiring" proposition. $1500 is doable and basically gets you an upgraded V8 over what you had.

Now, I see your point. You and me and whole lot of others want more or start with a less friendly base vehicle. It normally costs about $5k to $10k once you add everything up. Going auto to manual? Figure on the higher end.

But really, I call bullshit on your attitude. Make a point. Add something useful. You seem to just be trolling for an argument and not adding anything valuable to the conversation. Maybe offer some advice on places where you did or could have saved a few bucks, or a lesson learned. Otherwise, you sound like butt hurt bitch, IMHO.
LMFAO..no butt hurt here, I promise you I have no regrets or ***-pain about any swaps I did. My cars win, and I enjoy them.

IMO you can cry about what I post somewhere's else..I had something to say and I said it. I called bullshit on this title, it's misleading.

As far as adding something valuable, I have plenty of swap threads with a plethera of information..so you're point there is null & void sir.

I'm not a "butt hurt bitch", I'm an *******, and I call **** how I see it. The problem with society nowadays is people are pussies & cry when you tell them something they dont want to hear, 90% of the time it's the truth about something..

So to you I say **** off and enjoy your day..

Old 08-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You, sir, must have an imensely large man package.

This thread is imensely beneficial to myself as well as so many others. Will save me a fortune, as I was about to spend 3x as much on an LS1. 5.3s are so cheap around here! So many credit card geniuses are spending on a single part for what I will pay for my entire engine!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
The way I understand this is basically the original post is sayin for under $1500 and you can have a running LS Engine in a vehicle.
What type of vehicle are you doing this into, and what is in the vehicle to start with aswell as what are you using or have got?
Originally Posted by sikbrik
Make a point. Add something useful.
Originally Posted by the_merv
The way I read it....he made a point and asked reasonable questions as to how the $1500 budget can be met EXACTLY. ie: Give us an example or a parts breakdown on pulling off an LSx swap for said amount.

AND

I think if that were really answered it would be very useful to everyone who has any interest in this thread.

But I could be wrong. I know I for one would like to see a parts/prices breakdown. Otherwise this seems like a Hot Rod magazine article where they build a Pro Stock 500 cid BBC with Big Chief Heads they traded there oval port junkers for or "already had laying around the shop from a previous owner" and then the average back yard user ported them using techniques from one of their DIY porting jobs and got results equal to the best CNC program in existence.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ClimberD
You, sir, must have an imensely large man package.
Something like that, you get used to it tho..just have to sit in certian cars in different ways than you normally do.

This thread is imensely beneficial to myself as well as so many others. Will save me a fortune, as I was about to spend 3x as much on an LS1. 5.3s are so cheap around here! So many credit card geniuses are spending on a single part for what I will pay for my entire engine!
I'm not sayin the info is bad..it's got great info, I'm just saying the title is mis-leading.

I'll break it down my way..just to show ya..

Wiring & PCM: $300, I do the wiring, PCM is $100
Tuning is another $100 to unlock the credits on HP Tuners. I guess you can skimp the tuning if you have something that is bone stock.
Engine: Whatever you come across..I saw a complete 5.3 w/manifolds & accessories for $500 the other day. I saw a 4.8 for $300..so I guess it's where you want to go.
Mounts: $35..Conversion Plates.

So there ya go..there's a 5.3 Engine mounted & wired into something, thats the key word here fellas....for a grand total of $800..give it another $65 for odd's n ends..another $100 for the Exhaust Shop..BAM!! ****'s runnin for under $1k.. OMG I need to make a thread, $1k LS Engine Swap..

Then again that's what I could do if for in a 1998 or 1999 Chevy 1500 Truck with a Vortec 350..vehicle is the question here..

Last edited by the_merv; 08-30-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
The way I read it....he made a point and asked reasonable questions as to how the $1500 budget can be met EXACTLY. ie: Give us an example or a parts breakdown on pulling off an LSx swap for said amount.

AND

I think if that were really answered it would be very useful to everyone who has any interest in this thread.
Winner winner chicken dinner.. I said it politely too..

I'm not expecting an answer from anyone but the OP..cause the rest are going to chime in and

Haters gonna hate..

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
But I could be wrong. I know I for one would like to see a parts/prices breakdown. Otherwise this seems like a Hot Rod magazine article where they build a Pro Stock 500 cid BBC with Big Chief Heads they traded there oval port junkers for or "already had laying around the shop from a previous owner" and then the average back yard user ported them using techniques from one of their DIY porting jobs and got results equal to the best CNC program in existence.
LMAO I know right.. Go from installing an Engine to a running motor in 5 seconds.....
Old 08-30-2011, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Will save me a fortune, as I was about to spend 3x as much on an LS1. 5.3s are so cheap around here!
I have a queston to this part^^..

This thread here made you decide to go with a 5.3 cause it is cheaper?

Which is true..if you learned it here then cool..you gained something. I work with these Engines enough on a regular basis to see what they go for..as well as lots of other people here. But I see your point..if all you hear is LS1 this and LS1 that then you dont hear about the similar Engines that are more cost effective options.

But to back my point you went with a cheaper Engine so there is less money spent, what are you putting it in, and how much has it cost you so far? What are you wiring it in with?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Launching!

going the carb'd route adds up. genIII LS1/LS2 route is cheaper then genIV.
this is for genIV L92/LS3 (LY6 for me) using OEM accessories (in place) with a street/strip type setup:

GMPP d/p LS3/LSX intake - $450
Holley HP Street 750 - $500
MSD 6LS-2 - $345
plus TransDapt mounts, high volume/low psi fuel pump (in my case), regulator, fuel filter or 2, air filter, and then... there's those sweet looking AN fittings and braided stainless steel lines for another....$350? Then there's the cam, new beehive or dual springs, titanium retainers, locks, v-seals, chromemoly p-rods etc. etc.. ugghhhh

I gotta stop now....told myself I wouldn't add it up....so this is getting depressing.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the_merv, to answer your previous unanswered question, you are 100% correct. Now that we can all go back to chatting about cheap engine combos that may or may not be under $1500 depending on owner preference and vehicle choice...

So far mine looks to be a 5.3 LS4 (~$700), mating to a Subaru AWD trans, in a Subaru. Add cheapo headers and a LSx non LS4 intake manifold to the list. which is more like $1000 total, just for the engine. The important thing is the engine has the "LS_" name in it, so I can impress inept onlooker strangers eveywhere Accessories... will run whatever's easiest and cheapest.

It really doesn't matter what ECU or mounts I use (for the purpose of this thead) because the same total custom solution would be required for any V8 (my car being exceptionally bastardized). Will definitely make my own harness, have done it before. Strongly considering MegaSquirt MS3x (~$300+), as I don't really want to mount a Chevy gas pedal in my Subaru pedal box. Would rather output Subaru DBW pedal voltages to the MS controller, then have the MS run the LSx throttle body motor. Would also allow cruise control that way. Still figuring out that side of it... the computers (plural) are always the hardest part of totally custom cross-brand transplant swap if you want to retain all stock functions of the body control unit, trans computer, gauge cluster, climate control, etc. You GM guys are lucky to have the Chevy PCM tuneable by HP Tuners, etc, and to be able to carry over the PCM wherever the engine goes. I may end up just doing that.

I've learned to never spend a penny until you've worked out every little detail, and then given it time to soak in and see what else you can find as possible problems, etc. Plenty of problems will arise even with everything planned, so might as well prevent what you can ahead of time. If I were to jump into, I might have already bought a LS1...

Last edited by ClimberD; 08-30-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

That actually sounds like an interesting project..LS into a Suby..

Why not go with the stock Cable Throttle Body? What PCM are you using?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is no way I would run a DBW TB on anything I didn't have to. I have had to sell several new DBW TB's since going to work for GM parts again last November. They seem to have alot of issues. (Off topic...but avoid 3.6L V6's like the plague too!!)

Quick Reply: My Budget LS Engine Swap Guide <$1500