Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

My Budget LS Engine Swap Guide <$1500

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sikbrik
Check quick performance for the brackets for your elky. I think it's 270something for the truck setup that keeps a/c and moves alt down low. Scoop is ain good ideafor but stillI might notbe help upfigure front. Remove and plug the canister purge on topthe front of mani, take ofa the beauty cover andgrind down the bosses if ur close. Maybe try Jim's Performance for a harness...they did a g-body specific harness for my 81 elky with tpi. What are you doing for fuel? Need a v6 sending unit to go intank with stock style setup...pricey. go inline aftermarket, louder but way cheaper. F body manifolds should fit. Rereading your post, definitely look @ quick perf brackets to retain a/c and p/s or get fbody brackets and intake manifold if you can find em cheap enough-
g body experts may also chime in...good luck!
ok...i found the right quick perf...thanks. what year f body exhaust manifolds, would i need both exhaust, bcause passenger side seems like its gonna work? And if I go and change the intake, what year/style should I use? Thanks again...I have renewed faith...lol
Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 PM

Default MeanYellowZ

i see your write up and i can not find and engine in that price range. also if you donot mind i would like to ask you a few question and get some help with me build, but I am new to this and only know what i see on the internet. I know a little about engine but not much

thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 5.3L running LS1 intake and 5.7 injectors

Great write up- thanks for that.

One quick question- I'd like to run a 5.3 with the LS1 intake and 5.7 injectors. Since the engines are so close in displacement, can you get away running with a basically stock tune in the (truck) PCM??? I am planning to use a cable throttle body either way- the 5.3 is a 2000 and the intake is from a 98 or 99 Camaro

I understand the injector electrical connectors need to be changed....

Thanks

the-Jag-guy
Old 10-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Teching In

nice write up
Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the-jag-guy
Great write up- thanks for that.

One quick question- I'd like to run a 5.3 with the LS1 intake and 5.7 injectors. Since the engines are so close in displacement, can you get away running with a basically stock tune in the (truck) PCM??? I am planning to use a cable throttle body either way- the 5.3 is a 2000 and the intake is from a 98 or 99 Camaro

I understand the injector electrical connectors need to be changed....

Thanks

the-Jag-guy
I am in the midst of doing this same conversion into a custom 56 truck. Engine from a 2001 Tahoe, complete with pcm, harness, all accessories for $675.
I'm going to use a 700r4 tranny behind it.

hoping to do first start with modified harness and pcm reprogram (lt1swap.com) in the next week (within the 90 warrantyr), before swapping intakes

but... the truck waterpump outlet interferes with the cable throttle linkage.. so you have to switch waterpumps to a car type.
I'm not sure on the alternator bracket yet.. but because the truck alterator is up so high, the idler pulley will certainly get in the way of any (large mouth) throttle body. pictures for reference, not mine

notice the idler near where the car throttle body will be..

I'm looking to do the camaro low mount alternator.., still looking for the powersteering bracket and hoping I can reuse the truck p/s pump.

and, once you do the alternator reposition, I 'think' if forces you to change the crank pulley and every other bracket for belt alignment... never a dull moment..

or here is another hack approach (on ebay)
cut off the idler, and move it down & change the belt routing.
notice this one has a modified truck water pump which changes the output port position and direction
(a car pump would still be better in my opinion)

Sam

Last edited by sdetweil; 10-28-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Teching In

I'm curious why some are going carb instead of EFI. I know it's a little cheaper, but why go old school? I want 20+ mpg and new car driveability. I'm sick of pumping the $#!+ out of my '68 396 Elky SS every time it sits for a week, and 10 mpg on 92 octane! Dave
Old 11-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Teching In

My question would be, can I use any ECM from any lsx engine or should I get the one from the doner car if it is still with it? Also how can I tell the difference between the truck and car intake? (would the oil pan be a dead giveaway?) There is a place here in dallas that has these engines but they do not mark them so you can't tell what they came out of (truck or car) And just how reliable are these engines either in stock form as well as when they have been modified for preformance? I am not talking radical preformance. And how is the fuel milage on a engine that has been worked? Is it worse than the stock or is it at least close? Eather way it has to be better than a carbed engine no matter what. Sorry to pound you with all this I just want to cover all the basses before I run out and buy one and start another engine rebuild.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kd5icr
My question would be, can I use any ECM from any lsx engine or should I get the one from the doner car if it is still with it? Also how can I tell the difference between the truck and car intake? (would the oil pan be a dead giveaway?) There is a place here in dallas that has these engines but they do not mark them so you can't tell what they came out of (truck or car) And just how reliable are these engines either in stock form as well as when they have been modified for preformance? I am not talking radical preformance. And how is the fuel milage on a engine that has been worked? Is it worse than the stock or is it at least close? Eather way it has to be better than a carbed engine no matter what. Sorry to pound you with all this I just want to cover all the basses before I run out and buy one and start another engine rebuild.
the car intake is flat across the top of the engine, smooth tubes, the truck intake is a big tall thing, ugly looking. you can't miss it..

where is this place in Dallas.. looking for another engine/trans..

My sons 99 silverado with the 5.3 has just about 200k miles and never had a problem (with the engine/trans)... he consistently got 21-23 mpg on the silverado..

I'm doing one of these 5.3 swaps into a 55 ford f100 for drivability, reliability and we will be doing another into a 69 C10 soon as we find another engine/trans/harness/computer setup reasonable.

Sam
Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Alot of good info here.. great thread =)
Old 11-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sdetweil
the car intake is flat across the top of the engine, smooth tubes, the truck intake is a big tall thing, ugly looking. you can't miss it..

My sons 99 silverado with the 5.3 has just about 200k miles and never had a problem (with the engine/trans)... he consistently got 21-23 mpg on the silverado..

I'm doing one of these 5.3 swaps into a 55 ford f100 for drivability, reliability and we will be doing another into a 69 C10 soon as we find another engine/trans/harness/computer setup reasonable.

Sam
The place I am talking about is called bolt on motors it is in the fair park area of dallas they almost always have the engine but never a pcm. and most of the time no alt and the like.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:38 PM

Default Looking for advice for LS Swap 1990 G10 Van

I have a 1990 G-10 Van and I am looking to do a LS swap on a budget.
Hoping to have about 400 - 500 hp.
After reading the posts here, I'd want the intake/ rails/ injectors from a car.
This would be a budget swap and add on more upgrades over time.
I really like the work that MeanYellow has done and would like the motor to look like that when finished.

Thanks for any advice on what I might be looking at to do this swap.
Any clearance issues or oddball things to look out for.
Attached Thumbnails My Budget LS Engine Swap Guide &lt;00-img00590-20100403-1148.jpg   My Budget LS Engine Swap Guide &lt;00-img_1280.jpg  
Old 12-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Just bought a 6.0 for my 84 caprice. Hoping the truck intake will fit but if not im going with a LS6 intake. If so will I need LS accessories?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Yes you will need the car accessory drive, water pump and brackets. This is an alternative bracket I will use on mine
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LS1-High...#ht_1928wt_762
And here is the waterpump I got for mine
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OAW-Wate...ht_1802wt_1132
I think that you will probably have to go with the car type intake rather than the truck with your Caprice. If you have all the accessories I'd try to stick it in there first, maybe a cowl hood might help clear the intake.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

you'll need a LS1 style water pump and fuel rail. I personally modified the truck one (small pie cut and a mig welder), then rerouted the belt, not sure of the exact length.

oh yah, and I ditched one idler. Just like the one sam posted up, but I didn't use the idler on the right side of the picture. Has been fine for 2k, I don't drive it too much.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sdetweil

Sam
we found another LM7, 2002 Tahoe 78,000 miles, DBW, complete with harness, TAC, Pedal, and trans for $800. this is our xmas break project.. tear apart the C10, replace suspension, brakes, and drivetrain. we got parts stacked in the shop ready to go.

we decided not to chase the car intake path on either truck, cause we found that the caddy full engine covers should do the trick. wish they still made the center one with the removable caddy emblem.. will keep looking..

Sam
Old 12-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Sam......how are you doing on the 5.3 into the '55 F100....I'm working on the same for my '59 and am looking for all the tips/help/guidance/suggestions i can get. ...worried some about fitting the 4L60 over the cross-member....exhaust dump past the steering box (doing the Toyota power steering box conversion), etc......anxious for your thoughts.
Scott
Old 12-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have read this whole thing, lots of good info, some a bit sketchy, but still some good info for someone who has never done a swap, also give those same people some contacts, still brings that old saying " good and cheap, you can have one or the other"

My 2 cents
Old 12-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hobbs53
Sam......how are you doing on the 5.3 into the '55 F100....I'm working on the same for my '59 and am looking for all the tips/help/guidance/suggestions i can get. ...worried some about fitting the 4L60 over the cross-member....exhaust dump past the steering box (doing the Toyota power steering box conversion), etc......anxious for your thoughts.
Scott

I have a Mustang II front suspension, with Rack & Pinion steering..

I have the engine/tranny mounted, driveshaft modified and in, and started with the modified stock harness.
I just received some extra parts to finish up surrounding connections... tranny shifter, tranny cooler, power steering hoses, seal A/C lines.

need to finish wrapping the harness, repair two spots on the cab floor at the steering column and tranny tunnel where the previous owner cut out too much, and run brake lines.. those are next weeks tasks, as I need to get this truck out of the shop to move another in.. need to get the front clip back on.

I am using some Headman shorty, hugger headers (68520). which I still had to modify to get clearance for the steering linkage.

looks good..

Sam
Old 12-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Randy, WONDERFUL thread!!! Working on LS into a '59 F100, so looking for someone who's done that.....main concern at this point is exhaust clearance at the steering box/linkage (doing the Toyota box/power steering conversion) and tranny clearance at the crossmember. Not real concerned with how the engine looks under the hood; more into function than form.
Thanks again for the thread!!!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Just test fit the lm7 for the '60 chev, looking pretty good so far. I'll make a short video on fuse box removal and custom harness.

Quick Reply: My Budget LS Engine Swap Guide <$1500