See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

My Budget LS Engine Swap Guide <$1500

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info I will be using this when I get closer to installing a LS into my 63 Nova
Old 04-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Great info here.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Great thread, thanks a lot. Just decided to do a LS swap in my 71 Chevy Impala on Monday. This is the 1st day that I've been able to do some research and is the 1st thread I found. Thanks again for this thread.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 PM

Well if you are still with me I am going to make a few lists with pricing for a few different situations.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
From there just add whatever YOU might need for your swap. Things to keep in mind are:

Do any of the stock LS style manifolds fit your chassis? There are many choices, including those from the trucks, F-body, vette C5, vette C6, GTO, even the front wheel drive style ones. If none of these fit you may be left going to an aftermarket vendor that makes swap headers, or having a set made. Obviously the cost can vary greatly here.

The other thing to keep in mind is the oil pan. The LS engines came with many differents pans. The truck pans mimick old school SBC style but hang kinda low. The F-body pans are lower profile but extend further forward. Research will have to be done for your application.

The best part about the internet is that almost any combination you can think of for any swap has been done or tried, so a little research can go a long way towards planning your swap.

I tried to use accurate pricing for this writeup. Obviously some parts can be found cheaper or more expensive, these are just my findings. If you have trouble locating a part in the same price range, feel free to contact me for help.

Good luck guys and don't get discouraged, these swaps are not that hard and they are great when finished.

Feel free to contact me via PM, in this thread or via email

Randy@YatesEFI.com

Some pics of a few of my swaps and misc:

This is how I buy the engines...right from the junkyard

after cleanup and some paint....

Whats going on mean yellows great post .. where are you located and how much would you charge me to do a 5.3 swap into my 87 camaro irocz it has a 305 tpi and 700r4 in it now ????
Old 06-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Default Help :)

ok ok so not sure if im the right thread but i am in the process of doing a 5.3 swap in a 89 notch i custom made the motormounts and am planning on using a th400 to back it up both are already set in place i just need a guide line to help with the wire process, i have dealt with alittle old school big blocks but nothing with fuel injecion and i have no idea where to start. I would love to use factory guages but if theres a better alternate route could someone please direct me where to go?

maybe sites that can build a harness or even step by step guide

i havent done much research working three jobs but building your own car is way better then buying one, Thanks for any help ahead of time guys.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Teching In

I've been lurking this site for a while and am personal friends with one of the moderators.
$1500 is a very optimistic number.
I did this swap in a 63 c10 and it was a breeze.
I used ece motor mounts and the engine fell into the original location.
I had to reverse my tranny xmember,buy a new drive shaft($225), have a tank worked up($600), and buy assorted fitting ($300).
I did a 72 chevelle ss and with the acception of having to use a ls oil pan, tube, and tray($300), it was pretty much the same.
I'm doing a 78 z28 now.
Do Not use a truck engine unless you get it for FREE!!!
NO FUN CHANGING OUT ACCESSORIES!!!!
Way too expensive! Time consuming! PITA!
I have she'd real tears on this one..
Everything has to be modified to be made to fit.
This is easily a 5K swap.
I soooooo wish I would have started out with a ls engine on this one.
IMO only a truck or G body can be done for $1500 but it would take decent mechanical aptitude.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:54 PM

i would like to swap a 2010 6.0 with a 6L90 trans into a 2001 gmc 2500hd crew cab..what do i need to make this happen? i can get a good deal on a low mileage engine so have cash and resources to do it..thanks..
Old 09-30-2013, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great write up! I used this thread as a guide for my swap project and it was very helpful!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Great thread tons of info!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I put 5.3 truck engines in Porsche 911's. they work great. uses truck ac and bracket, truck alternator with my custom mount. you can use the truck intake or ls1/ls6 intake. ls1/6 intakes are much cleaner installs. and whether I was to use a ls1 to begin with or the truck motor I have to change to the ls3 oil pans. so it actually depends on your swap vehicle.

all I can say is do your homework before hand versus the car you are installing it in. lots of swaps on the net and lots of guys willing to share info.

most of all, good luck and have fun.

GREAT THREAD!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5.3turbonotch
ok ok so not sure if im the right thread but i am in the process of doing a 5.3 swap in a 89 notch i custom made the motormounts and am planning on using a th400 to back it up both are already set in place i just need a guide line to help with the wire process, i have dealt with alittle old school big blocks but nothing with fuel injecion and i have no idea where to start. I would love to use factory guages but if theres a better alternate route could someone please direct me where to go?

maybe sites that can build a harness or even step by step guide

i havent done much research working three jobs but building your own car is way better then buying one, Thanks for any help ahead of time guys.
U still working on that 5.3 notch? To use factory gauges you need to use ford sending units. I took the water temp unit, and threaded it to the metric tap on the pass side of the head which has a plug in it. Think it was M12X1.75, not sure. I added an oil sending unit to the spot by the oil filter where the provision for a cooler would hook up. I used the factory 5.0 harness so the voltmeter worked as well as the fuel gauge. I have a 4L80e, so I had to use an electronic speedometer (actually using GPS) but if you use a older trans you can get a custom speedometer cable. Hope this helps.

Also this link has just about anything you need to know about different harnesses
http://lt1swap.com/index.htm
Old 10-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Teching In

O- yea, and the tach wired straight up to the alas PCM tach driver, then used HP tuners to dial it in.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt964
I put 5.3 truck engines in Porsche 911's. they work great. uses truck ac and bracket, truck alternator with my custom mount. you can use the truck intake or ls1/ls6 intake. ls1/6 intakes are much cleaner installs. and whether I was to use a ls1 to begin with or the truck motor I have to change to the ls3 oil pans. so it actually depends on your swap vehicle.

all I can say is do your homework before hand versus the car you are installing it in. lots of swaps on the net and lots of guys willing to share info.

most of all, good luck and have fun.

GREAT THREAD!

Hey, Cobalt964.

I am planning a Porsche 996/ls engine swap. Are you offering your motor mounts for sale?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes I do. ill pm you.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rcampin
i would like to swap a 2010 6.0 with a 6L90 trans into a 2001 gmc 2500hd crew cab..what do i need to make this happen? i can get a good deal on a low mileage engine so have cash and resources to do it..thanks..
It should be a direct swap.
You will have to swap throttle bodies since the 2010 is dbw.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:54 PM

thanks for your time on this very helpful..im new to this site and im sure ill learn a lot..i just wanted to ask if you know who has put a 5.3 chevy in a 53 ford victoria ? its set up for 350 checy now.. iv got 5.3 and trans for it. im wounding about motor mounts,do you know what works for this car ?and even if factory exhaust manifolds work..or what does.. thank you for any help on this
Old 11-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Teching In

mean yellow z great post. I just posted up on the lx conversion section of the forum about my 1983 Cadillac 2 door Fleetwood Brougham. I'm interested in an Ls conversion. Posted the original post a few years back but never had a chance to continue with the swap. Still interested but need some help here. What would you do here? need a modern drivetrain for my caddy. I still have the original 4.1L V8 that gives me I believe 140hp. Need a stronger healthier engine. Thanks
Old 11-16-2013, 07:34 PM

so will this work on the 3rd gen camaro?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

I originally found this thread via google since I'm a complete noob to the LS engine series and mostly been riding street bikes for the last 10yrs. However I decided to get rid of the rocket and get a 66 impala, 283/power glide and bagged.

We'll I've been farting around looking for stuff to do to the motor, considered a carb'd 327 but after some looking around I was told about fun stuff you can do with Fuel injected newer chevy engines. Since I drive a 5.3 now I thought it would be a good motor to look into, so I googled and found this thread and forum! Thanks to this post it made me really want to get it into the 5.3 for my impala, I'll hopefully be posting some motor pics soon!!!!

Thanks again! I really stoked!

Quick Reply: My Budget LS Engine Swap Guide <$1500