So has it been done? MKIV swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So has it been done? MKIV swap?

Ok,
edit:I do NOT care about pedigree, merely performance/operation
I'm in the planning phase of a MKIV Supra LSx swap. I don't know a whole lot about the gut guts of an LSx (like ecu parameters, or physical dimensions)

Here's some things that I'm curious about..
1. Has it been documented before (pics etc.) ?
----If no, then are there any pictures at least of the engine bay somewhere someone took?

2. What pipe would be appropriate for a subframe? for transmission brace? What pipe material are people having great ease with respect to fabbing and cost?

3. Are there engine managements (stock or otherwise?) that can operate with all the gauges being aftermarket?

Here's some background on why I'm looking into this project:
- The cost to have a 2JZ-GTE have similar performance is more than what I estimate this project to run.
- Said 2JZ-GTE would have to be on 110 octane 24/7
- Realistically looking at a forged engine of some kind... with juice or boost coming through the hood old school style (packaging says it might PITA to sling in the front, so the backup is bringing it through a hood ala 8-71 style)
- lsx's are easy to work on and with, I don't have to drag its *** around the country to get work done.
- It'd be easier to get aftermarket gauges installed and looking pretty than stock gauges.
-I don't care about A/C, it's last on the list.

I'm trying to just get a proof of concept done I guess to see ifts feasible or impossible. And then I can go from there.. like stripping the engine bay clean, playing with stock subframe specs and figuring out a new one, etc. etc.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well as far as i know the only top mount supercharger for the LS1 (871 style) is the magnusun super charger. I dont know much about setting them up though. I dont know of any MKIV supras with the swap on this board. I may have missed the thread though. Most swaps do run with aftermarket gauges. Not hardly any people go through the trouble of swapping in an Fbody and vette gauge cluster or getting stock gauges to work with ls1 sensors.

Nothing is impossible. I dont know anything about the supras but that theigh weigh alot. 3400-3600lbs. Thats as much as a 4th gen fbody.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a kenne bell available for LS1 engines. Some corvette owners are runnin them.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:51 AM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a guy over on Supraforums.com that installed a 427" LSx with twin 88s on a 93-98 supra just recently.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh back when i had my vette the KB hadnt come out i had forgetten about them.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, i wish whipple would come out with blower for our motors. I like them better than the kenne bells
Old 03-07-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Well first off I like where you are going Michael!

1. I have never seen anything but I bet it has been done before.

2. I would go with some 4140 or 1020 DOM steel or for cheaper you could go cold rolled. However, I wouldn't assume just yet that your gonna have to go custom subframe.

3. I bet you can make it work with the stock gauges. Or possibly one of those gauge packages from mast motorsports.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Totally feasible, I doubt you'd need to make a new subframe, probably just motor mounts and a crossmember. Check out hinson supercars and daft innovations among others and look at what they do with 350Zs, 240s, and RX7s, and fab your own in your car. There are plenty of cut and weld universal motor mounts. I also think you could throw a turbo in front of the motor easily, the engine bays in those cars are fairly long. I think even a stock LS2 or LS3 would make that car very enjoyable. thumbs up on your project, and do it! (learning to weld first if you don't already know how to would help)
Old 03-07-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OKcruising
- Realistically looking at a forged engine of some kind... with juice or boost coming through the hood old school style (packaging says it might PITA to sling in the front, so the backup is bringing it through a hood ala 8-71 style)
If an I6 (which is longer than the LSx) can run turbo piping up amongst the front bumper area I think it'd at least be possible to run a FMIC and not have to chop the hood open. Now whether it'd be cost effective or not, that's another story.

Although I think you'd get a bit less internet hatred from pillaging an icon if you stay away from the "scoop through the hood domestic muscle car" mod. I could care less either way. In fact, I'd love an LSx supra. There was one sitting in some guys driveway nearby a couple years ago that looked like it had seen better days (stripped interior, missing body panels, wheels, etc) and just begging for an LSx.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Here are some pics of Adam Gier's Supra. Adam ran the car in the Drag Radial Class at our local track with the 2JZ for a while then stepped up to a Nelson LSX 427 with twin 88's and now runs the True 10.5 Shootout class. The turbo set up and the chassis work was done by Tydo Race Cars(www.tydoracecars.com) here in Springfield MO and there are more pics of the car on thier website. The car is very nice and not butchered at all. It still has the factory interior and looks great and everything still works as is it should.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Steve88,

thats the car one of my friends said was done with an LSX. All sorts of nasty.

I won't be anywhere near that extreme... I've got the go-ahead to go and find the main chunks: wiring, forged 408 longblock, and wrecked vette/f-bdody, and mock-up block. Now the long drawn out portion of time...

Pist0lpete, I'll definitely confer with you, you know the car it's going into
Old 03-12-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Definitely man and I am always willing to lend a hand as well. In fact I owe it ya haha.

Quick Reply: So has it been done? MKIV swap?