Sponsored by:

6.0L swap into Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0L swap into Chevelle

Hello

I am still researching an engine swap for my 1966 Chevelle. What would it take to swap a 2001/2002 6.0L iron block/aluminum head into a Chevelle? Externally is there anything different with the 6.0 versus the LS1 outside of the block? Would they mount up the same? Would you need to notch the frame or rearrange the accessories for fit? Do you think there would be a problem with the intake and fuel rail as far as hooking it up to the chassis? Can you swap in an LS6 intake? Does someone make a wiring harness that would plug into the engine, or is there a company that can thin out the factory harness? Has anyone tried doing this swap before? The main reason I am researching this option instead of the LS1 is the initial investment. I have seen countless 6.0 that sells for $1000-$2500 less than the LS1. Is there anything else that I need to consider?

Thank you,

Kevin C
Old 10-30-2003, 09:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Where have you been hiding?!!!!!!!!! Just kidding! Take a look at the August 2003 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. It detailed an LS6 swap into a '67 Chevelle.

Have you tried a search here also?

To answer your basic question, the 6.0 will install just like an aluminum 5.7.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Only difference is the LQ4 (6.0) block will need an extra hole drilled and tapped to mount the alternator bracket. Piece of cake. The boss is already there, just line up the bracket, use a punch to mark it, then drill it out and tap it out.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:17 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinc
Hello

I am still researching an engine swap for my 1966 Chevelle. What would it take to swap a 2001/2002 6.0L iron block/aluminum head into a Chevelle? Externally is there anything different with the 6.0 versus the LS1 outside of the block? Would they mount up the same? Would you need to notch the frame or rearrange the accessories for fit? Do you think there would be a problem with the intake and fuel rail as far as hooking it up to the chassis? Can you swap in an LS6 intake? Does someone make a wiring harness that would plug into the engine, or is there a company that can thin out the factory harness? Has anyone tried doing this swap before? The main reason I am researching this option instead of the LS1 is the initial investment. I have seen countless 6.0 that sells for $1000-$2500 less than the LS1. Is there anything else that I need to consider?

Thank you,

Kevin C
We've done several harnesses for older Chevelles, both custom new harnesses, as well as factory harness reworks. The only drawback with reusing the factory harness is that they don't look as nice and you are limited on mounting the PCM. On our new harnesses YOU specify where you want the computer and we build it that way!

The 6.0 alternator/ power steering bracket might fit a little nicer in the Chevelle. would probably fit a little nicer in the Chevelle

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 11-03-2003, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Kevin,

Not sure how much harder or easier a 6.0 liter conversion is compared to a LS1, but either way, I hope you take on the project. I bought a totaled 98 Z28 and stripped it down to nothing. I put the front brakes from the Camaro on the Chevelle using a bracket kit I bought on ebay. Looks great... hopefully it will stop just as well. I put the motor and trans in but it is just the long block right now. I'm planning on installing the harness and doing the fuel system next weekend, possibly the accesories as well. The only snag I have had to deal with has been S&P performance. I'm still going round and round with them. So far they have put me weeks behind schedule. Anyways, it would be great to have another 66 on the board to compare notes with. I may be more help once I get a little farther along.

Take it easy.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses! 66...I am hoping to find a totaled out Camaro to do the engine swap from. If I can't, I'm looking at the 6.0L. I like the idea of swapping brakes, engine and seats and selling the rest of what is still good. Again, I'm still in the research stage. Have you had problems with the fitting of the accessories with the Chevelle frame and steering gear? I am thinking about installing an Impala/Caprice gas tank and using an in tank aftermarket pump, or would I be better off installing an external pump? What pump would be adequate to supply enough fuel?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 11-04-2003, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Kevin,
I am going to be running an external pump that I purchased from my work. It is a high pressure Borg Warner/Master pump with the same specs as a stock in tank pump from a Z28. I am utilizing the new corvette fuel filter with the built in regulator and the stock Chevelle style tank. Hopefully it will work out. I haven't got the accessories mounted yet, but those should be done either this weekend or the next. Does the caprice tank fit the Chevelle? If so, I may change tank ideas. I'm still researching what will have to be done to the stock tank if I use it. I'll let you know about the accessories. I have some 5.7 and 5.3 brackets to play with but I'm sure I'll end up building an alternator bracket and probably a ps bracket.

Chad
Old 11-05-2003, 12:06 PM
Teching In

66LS1,

Over on Chevelles.com a guy replaced his stock tank with a 1996 Impala plastic gas tank. He fabricated brackets (easy) to angle the tank and cut the old filler off of the old tank. He then installed a rubber fuel filler hose to mount between the tank and old filler. The tank is wider and a little thinner. He said it fit between the frame rails on his 1968 Chevelle just fine and the extra 3 gallon capacity is nice. It also weighs a few pounds less. I haven't measured one yet, but I'm sure he frame width dimensions would be the same on a 1968+ as a 1967 and earlier. I did a search on car-parts.com for a tank and you can get on with a sender for under $50. Do a search on chevelles.com and read the article. I have it printed out at home and I'll try to remember to post the web address. From what I have read, to use the original tank you would have to have it baffled and a sump welded to the bottom. Are you going to use the A/C compressor? Please let me (us) know what you come up with for the brackets. I would greatly appreciate it. Did you use motor mounts from S&P, or make your own? What kind of headers are you planning to use? Good luck this weekend!

Thanks again,

Kevin
Old 11-07-2003, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Hey Kevin,

I am actually in the planning stages of doing a 6.0L swap into a 1970 Chevelle. I have the motor (slightly used LQ4) and transmission (brand new 4l80E), I am just waiting to put some money together to get many of the other needed pieces, and for my body man to finish cleaning up the engine compartment.

Where is that article on Chevelles.com regarding the Impala tank?? I did a search and couldn't find it. Sounds VERY interesting. I would much rather go that route if it is a clean setup, as I was leaning towards a complete Rock Valley setup... but if the Impala Setup works well, that would save some MAJOR $$$$.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 11-10-2003, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Grooves,

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to look up the Impala tank article that I printed off. Things have really been nuts at my house lately. I promise to post it soon. What are you planning to do for a wiring harness, motor mounts and accessories?

Kevin C
Old 11-10-2003, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

I'm probably going to go with speartech for the wiring harness. I've talked to him several times and he seems very knowledgeable and helpful. For motor mounts, I haven't ddecided yet. I might go with S&P, since I haven't seen any other options out there, but I also might try to fab something else myself. I still haven't quite figured out what I am going to do for brackets yet. A few people have said the Camaro brackets with the exception of AC compressor will fit, but I haven't gotten confirmation of that. If they do, I will probably go that route, and mount the AC compressor like John B. did on his Monte Carlo.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up Finally I Found It!

Hey I finally found the thread for the Chevelle gas tank swap to a 1995 Chev Impala tank. I would really recommend checking the measurements on the Impala tank and if it would fit in between the frame rails on a pre 1967 Chevelle.

http://www.chevelles.com/cgi-bin/for...;f=28;t=003517

Sorry about the wait.

Kevin C

Quick Reply: 6.0L swap into Chevelle