Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just bought an LS1 for my '63 Vette!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

I've been following your posts over at corvetteforum. Good luck with that project, your photoshop renderings look pretty wicked and the LS1 will be a great motor for weight, driveability, and crazy power!

Keep us posted, It would be great if you documented your project. I think I may look into that mid-america setup someday. . .
Old 11-03-2003, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Murdock
Mark,

I've been following your posts over at corvetteforum. Good luck with that project, your photoshop renderings look pretty wicked and the LS1 will be a great motor for weight, driveability, and crazy power!

Keep us posted, It would be great if you documented your project. I think I may look into that mid-america setup someday. . .

Thanks Murdock. I'd like to get a website like Tony's (Nineball) to show progress, etc. but I really don't know how to get it going or how to update and maintain it. I don't have the software.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mark IXZD 150
I will. Here's a few Q's.

I'm impressed by how nice your chassis is looking!

1. Did you replace ALL the factory C4 rubber bushings with poly?
2. Which coilovers are those?
3. What dia. front sway bar are you using? Is it a 1985 1" bar?
4. In your opinion, which of the C4 donor parts would you say are a 'must replace/repair/upgrade' ?

I'm still waiting on my 4" tube frame. I bought new rotors, front calipers, ball joints, tie rod ends, VBP strut rods, VBP toe rods and got some stainless braided brake lines. I was going to reuse the factory rubber upper & lower control arm bushings as well as the ones on the spindle control rods. They're in good shape. I've changed the lube in the Dana 44 and have painted it along with a lot of other parts including the half shafts. I'm recycling a lot of parts in order to save some money. It's amazing what some degreaser and paint can do to wake up old parts. It's also pretty amazing how some of the C4 aluminum parts gleam after a good scrubbing. When I got it the whole suspension was a dull monotone gray-brown. Two weeks of intense disassembly and scrubbing and it's really coming along and starting to look good.

I'd love to see more pics of yours. That thing looks awesome and I need to raise the bar on my detail level. I'm thinking I could be inspired here...
I replaced all the bushings with poly, The coilovers are from Carrera with adustable shocks, The front sway bar is standard 1985 1" with custom hangers,
I have a 4X2 Tube frame made to pick up all the 1996 pickup points, in order to be sure the front suspension would be perfect I took the bolt in front crossover from a 1996 and welded up a mockup to match the pick up points and then welded in the upper and lower pick up points on my frame to match the pick up points used on the 1996. I used the 4L60E auto and narrowed Dana 36 rearend so I would not have to cut the body, with the T-56 and Dana 44 you will have to cut the transmission, drive shaft and rearend out of the body and expand them. It not a big job but necessary as they will not fit. I used Corvette exaust and cut them off just before the bend then welded the connecter back on, this made the side pipes fitting easy. I used AutoMeter gages in the same size as the old gages, removing the front of the gages allowed them to be installed in the old holes now everything works with the LS1. I have lots of pictures if you want to send me your E-mail address I will send you some.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I want to go all poly too but am afraid it'll be too stiff. Probably dumb considering its a Grand Sport. Am I just crazy? Should I go all poly?
Old 11-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Default Poly bushing

I want to go all poly too but am afraid it'll be too stiff. Probably dumb considering its a Grand Sport. Am I just crazy? Should I go all poly?
Both my son-in-Law's 62 Vette LS1 and my 63 are running them and we think they are great. Here are some photo's http://mywebpage.netscape.com/alhughes390fe/page1.html
Old 11-04-2003, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info! I'd send you an e-mail but you have that option restricted in your profile. What's your address?

Where did you find the 1985 1" swaybar?
Old 11-04-2003, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stiff = Grand Sport..

Next thing is that you will worry that it will stop too fast..

So yes.. your crazy
Old 11-04-2003, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Default Sway Bar

Thanks for the info! I'd send you an e-mail but you have that option restricted in your profile. What's your address?

Where did you find the 1985 1" swaybar?
I went thru my notes and the sway bar is 1" from a 1965 Corvette, the Coil-Overs are Aldan adjustable with 450# springs My e-mail is alhughes390fe@netscape.net, I will change the option in did not realize the option was restricted
Old 11-04-2003, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
stiff = Grand Sport..

Next thing is that you will worry that it will stop too fast..

So yes.. your crazy

Okay smarty!!!

Oh, and by the way, it IS going to stop too fast. So fast in fact that the paint will probably keep going if I hit the hooks!
Old 11-26-2003, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE:

All poly - all the way around. Thanks for making fun of me Steve. Teasing is always a good motivator.

I did decide against the 377ci all bore. Just too expensive... the rest of the car is killing my wallet so I had to compromise.

Jim and Tom at Speed Inc. (my first official project sponsor) put their heads together and came up with this H/C combo to optimize torque and get the power in the best range for street/road course driving and give me the 'racecar' sound required for a Grand Sport Corvette replica.

I've ordered the following:

Patriot Stage 2 LS6 (LQ9) heads w/ double springs
Comp custom grind cam @ 228/236 - .588/.602 - 110+2 lsa

Imagine the sweet thunderous music coming from the 3.5" sidepipes...
Old 11-26-2003, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 63 Split Window LS1
Both my son-in-Law's 62 Vette LS1 and my 63 are running them and we think they are great. Here are some photo's http://mywebpage.netscape.com/alhughes390fe/page1.html
Wow that thing is incredible. My neighbor has a factory original 63 split window, but I would much rather have yours. If you have any high res pics you would like to send me feel free . niphilli@vt.edu
Old 01-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Mark,
I found this forum by searching on the 63 Grand Sport. I see that you're building one. I plan to build one probably later this year (I have to sell my 67 Camaro L78 first). I'm interested in learning more about building one and where to get the chassis and body. You said you are waiting on your 4" tube frame. Who builds one? Where can I get more info on buying the chassis and the body. I will build one from scratch. I personally don't have the expertise to build the chassis but a friend does. I will build the engine though. I'm thinking of a 427 cu in small block, possibly aluminum. I thought about the 377 cu in but that's an odd bore/stroke combination, and I can probably build the 427 cheaper. It should pump out around 900 hp w/turbo, so the chassis/suspension/rear end will have to be built around that. I have an M22 4 speed that I might use, since that's what they came with. I will run it on the streat and strip. I will appreciate any info that you or anyone else can provide on where to find the parts.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm getting my components from Mid America Industries in Milan, IL. www.corvettegs.com

Quick Reply: I just bought an LS1 for my '63 Vette!