Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers for 58-63 Full Size?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers for 58-63 Full Size?

Anyone? I'm looking at putting an LS1 into a 60 Impala, and was wondering about exhaust. I don't want to completely have to fab it up myself (not above doing it, just a LOT of work), but it may be the requirement.

Also, does anyone make a conversion KIT for T56s to make them shift from the front or middle of the tranny? I've seen where you can get the whole transmission, but I've got a couple of leads on LS1/T56/ECM and harness combos...

thx-
Byrdman
Old 11-04-2003, 12:03 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Haven't seen anything but that doesn't mean that somebody doesn't make something!
Old 11-05-2003, 08:37 AM
Teching In

I used 2001 stock cast manifolds from a camaro. The only problem I had was the big triangular flange. On the drivers side I had to grind off a part of the bracket rib that is used to support the flange for the lower control arm. On the passenger side, I took a healthy notch into the frame. I have shown the car to a lot of people and nobody noticed it so far. But I probably didn't need to take such a big notch. I have seen an LS1 in a 61 chevy and they used the stock sheet metal clam shell manifolds. Those clear everything without having to notch stuff. But the cast iron manifolds flow more and are less prone to cracking.

The only reason I would use headers is for looks or clearance isssues. The headers from Street and Perfomance should work. This chassis is really friendly to headers but it can make your exhaust shops life really hard. The turn out to go outside the frame is so close to things that the bend off of the manifolds or headers would probably negate any benefits headers provide. I used 2.5" pipe and Magnaflow mufflers and my backpressure is really low. I wouldn't have done anything different.

Any camaro header should fit but all the ones I found are full length and would not work with exhaust and chassis packaging.

As for T56, Tremec or anyone else doesn't have any kits to move the shifter. The best place to call for sure is D&D Performance in Wixom, MI. The only transmissions that I know that have that capability are Richmond and the tremec 3550 5 spd. The trick thing would be to have a column shift 6 spd. I went the 4L60E route. I did end up with a manual trans powertrain but I rewired for the auto and had the processor flashed for an auto. I made a custom crossmember, shortened the driveshaft and the thing rocks.

Let me know what you end up doing for a coolant guage sendor. I ended up using the GM 3 wire sensor with autometer guages in the other pods. The temp is 30deg low but I'm going to have a box made that will tweek the temperature curve to work right.

Vintage Air sucks, do not fall for their sales pitch. Their 60 chevy kit is terrible. The hole in my firewall looks really bad.

Anyway, I could write a book on installing this motor into a 59-60 Chevy. All the troubles and all the fixes.

Regards,
Elliot
Old 11-05-2003, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info...I'm at the 'researching' stage on the swap...I know 2 things for sure right now...I love 60s and I want an LS1 engine in it! Other than that, its all speculation right now.

I'm going to help Dad with his 57 restoration, then when its finished (next year?) maybe start looking for a good 60 body to start working on.

Thanks for the info...as far as headers, have you looked into MAC mid-lengths? If the LTs are too much, maybe them or the Hooker shorties would be good choices. Just a thought...

Byrdman
Old 12-18-2003, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MCKNGBRD
Anyone? I'm looking at putting an LS1 into a 60 Impala, and was wondering about exhaust. I don't want to completely have to fab it up myself (not above doing it, just a LOT of work), but it may be the requirement.

<snip>

thx-
Byrdman
MCKNGBRD, did you get this resolved? I'm putting an LS1 in my 64 Impala and I believe it's the same chassis as you 60. I tried Hooker LTs from Jet-Hot and they didn't fit. I was thinking about shorties from Street & Performance, but I'm told they don't improve performance over the factory manifolds so I'm thinking now about fabbing my own LTs using a kit (like headersbyEd). Does anyone have any experience with fabbing your own headers? I'm wondering how much skill it takes.

thanks,

dave
Old 12-19-2003, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sailors3
MCKNGBRD, did you get this resolved? I'm putting an LS1 in my 64 Impala and I believe it's the same chassis as you 60. I tried Hooker LTs from Jet-Hot and they didn't fit. I was thinking about shorties from Street & Performance, but I'm told they don't improve performance over the factory manifolds so I'm thinking now about fabbing my own LTs using a kit (like headersbyEd). Does anyone have any experience with fabbing your own headers? I'm wondering how much skill it takes.

thanks,

dave

Take a look at John B's website. He made his own. I don't have the link but he is in most posts in this forum.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keisler Automotive makes a version of the t-56 with a front shift location. It won't be a perfect swap out for an LS1 t-56, though - you'll probably have to use an aftermarket VSS, and an LS1 to Muncie adapter flywheel and throwout bearing (Mcleod for the flywheel, Street and Performance for the TO bearing, Speed Scene Wiring for the VSS).

www.keislerauto.com
Old 12-19-2003, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops, just realized you were looking for a KIT. Well, maybe Keisler could be talked into modifying your t-56 ...

Quick Reply: Headers for 58-63 Full Size?