Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fan-system for LSX swap- Most reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Fan-system for LSX swap- Most reliable?

I am using the new spal v3 fan controller for my 69 LSx swap camaro. Unfortunately the fans I have found to work best in Texas heat (100 deg summers) are hi amp units such as the Taurus, Mk8 etc.

The fan controller is designed to shut itself off (to protect itself) after about 30 seconds of 30 amp draw. Not ideal when sitting in traffic.

What ways have you guys employed to trigger and run your fans that are reliable and maintenance free? I am just looking for a relay setup or thermostatic switch that is proven reliable in hot climates.

There are several out there obviously just looking for something proven.

I appreciate the replies.

Last edited by 03 snake; 06-05-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just use the PCM to control a fan relay and program your own settings?
Old 06-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

That will likely be the most common answer. Appreciate the reply.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any reason why you chose a stand alone controller over pcm?

I'm running a MK8 fan and it draws a lot of current. Thought about going with the DC control module myself to spin the fan up as needed, but don't really have any experience with them. My conversion is using the E40 ECM and it's not as versatile as the older PCM's as far as fan settings go. Without going to a custom OS that is..
Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can use the PCM to control a relay, that way the PCM wont have any heavy load on. Or if you are concerned, you can wire a relay directly to a switch to control the fans instead of the PCM.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, and use SPAL fans, they are the best.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice. I'm using a late model pcm which I can trigger the relay(s) with and program in when I want that to happen.. Thought I would try the spal controller after reading about it.

I like the technology of the Spal controller and have always liked their products.

When pulling the heavy amps the only solution with the spal controller appears to be run a small fan as primary, then use the controller to trigger a relay for a second fan and all is well.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

The PCM has a high and low fan speed. You can have low speed run 1 relay for 1 fan, then have the high for the 2nd relay and fan. No need for some fancy controller.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

If you run two fans, then wire them up like a stock 4th gen Fbody with 3 relays. Both fans run in low and high speed mode, and the 3rd relay swithces them between series and parallel to get low speed and high speed. Two fans running at half speed is a LOT quieter than a single fan running at full speed.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Launching!

I'm using a DC Control 33212 dual fan with the integrated controller. It has a sensor that is pushed into the radiator fins and that controls the fan initiation and speed. It also has a wire that connects to the AC compressor power wire so that if the AC is in use, the fans vary from 50% to 100%, not the normal 0% - 100%. Pretty cool setup. I'm not using any PCM controls, just using the integrated controller and the Mercedes main power switching.

But.... my Mercedes only had an 85-amp alternator and these fans pull 28 amps on maximum. The MB 100-amp alternator didn't do me any good either, but a local (Vegas) alternator shop built me a 140-amp alternator that I installed. Now all my power problems are history and all my cooling problems are gone too. This set of fans has made it possible for the AC to work MUCH better in the Vegas summer.

Quick Reply: Cooling Fan-system for LSX swap- Most reliable?