Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 with L76 intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LY6 with L76 intake

I have a LY6 6.0L and i want to run the L76 intake. I need to know if i need to change the water pump or any of the other accesories to do this, and if so, what should i use?
Old 07-13-2009, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

What exactly is the LY6..it is from a truck?
Old 07-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

If the engine definately has the L92 heads (which the LY6 must have) then the answer is yes.

The best way to check will be to make sure the casting number on your engine's heads matches at least one of the casting numbers that GM have used for the L92 heads.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

yes the ly6 is from a 07 and newer HD. and it does have the L92 heads, but i need to know what water pump or other accessories i need to use to be able to run the L76 intake
Old 07-13-2009, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will need to relocate the idler pulley with a relocation bracket and cut off part of the old idler pulley mount. The L76 intake will then work.

You may then run into clearance issues with the throttle body depending on which one you choose to run.

http://www.actionspeedshop.com/parts...duct_info.html
Old 07-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Whatever you do.....dont waste your time trying to use the LY6 throttle body that probably came with your motor....it absolutley wont work, no matter what you do! The connector interchanges with the LS2/LS7 TB, it clears the water pump, but i tried eveything and came to the same conclusion as "alocker"...You will end up either cable throttle, or running DBW with a LS2, LS7 or aftermarket TB....and will need to make a custom Spacer to clock the throttle body motor away from the water hose, if running the truck water pump and truck ACC drive. Ask "alocker" for more on this, he has pics of his spacer. I just made one this weekend for my project, worked pretty slick.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

LQ9 is correct. I believe there is an issue running the truck TB on anything other than the ECU it was programmed for. I firmly believe its a software issue that no one has figured out.

I think its the case because the LS9 uses what looks like a truck 87MM TB.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info. and i want to go with a cable throttle body anyway, so which one should i use so i wont have clearance issues?
Old 07-13-2009, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

I think most cable setups will fit the GEN IV truck water pumps. BUT, I dont think there is and ECU or base program that will support a cable TB and a 58 tooth reluctor wheel. You might be able to use a converter box, but I'm not sure.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

sorry i'm so ignorant when it comes to this stuff, im just starting to get into this fuel injection thing, but i dont really know what you are talking about when it comes to a base program ( i assume that means the program thats already on the stock ECU, but im probly wrong) or a reluctor wheel. i plan on swapping the cam and getting the ecu programmed to match the mods i make, im not sure if this would solve the issue your talking about or not. i dont mean to ask so much but if you could tell me exactly what i need to do as far as the ECU stuff goes, to make this setup work (with a cam and the L76 intake, and cable TB) like get a converter box or just get the thing reprogrammed or both, and who you would suggest sending it to. It would help me out a whole lot. its going in a 79 C10, if that matters
Old 07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Launching!

You will want to run a throttle body with a small throttle "cam" (the curved mechanism that the cable pulls on to open-shut the throttle). The larger cam throttle bodies will slightly hit the water pump housing right below the water neck, although depending on the amount of interference, you could always grind it and clearance the spot where it contacts. I know this is the case with the LS6 intake, truck ACC drive, pulley relocation bracket and GEN IV truck pump are used together. I had a early camaro small cam TB, and it worked fine. The later camaro and truck larger cam TB's would hit, and need a little clearancing. You have to stick with a 90mm 4-bolt pattern TB for your intake, so you may or may not have to clearance the cam. If you have a choice, get a small throttle cam, will have better chance of fitting. You may not have a issue, the LS3 style intake positions the TB @ a different angle than the LS6-LS1 Gen III stuff. Just gotta try it and let us know!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

yea i plan on doing a thread on my swap when i start, its going in my bagged 79 C10, so i think it'll be pretty kool if you like trucks. but whats your suggestions on who i should use for my harness and reprogramming? i have the stock harness and its in good shape but dont know if it would be cheaper to get a new standalone or get this one redone.

Quick Reply: LY6 with L76 intake