Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0L Fox mustang project

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What color are you gonna paint the engine compartment?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmracing
You have any pics from underneath of where the trans mount is? Im getting ready to do the same swap.
I do not right now, I'm going to take one once I get a crossmember in place, but I swear the two trans mount holes in the trans are perfectly centered over where the stock mustang transmission crossmember bolts in so it's going to be easy to get something in there.

Originally Posted by dmracing
What color are you gonna paint the engine compartment?
Not sure yet, but it will be whatever color I end up painting the rest of the car. I change my mind about once a month and probably won't be 100% sure until I'm headed home from the auto supply store with the paint!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Well it's been a while since I updated this thread but I'm still slowly chugging along on the build. All my old photos are gone, they were on villagephotos.com which no longer exists. A few things have changed, I sold the TH350 and picked up a glide and a 4500 stall. I've put 4.56 gears in it as well. Here's a few pics of where it's at now and a video of the 6.0 running. I just fired it up for the first time yesterday on the stand. It still has the stock cam in it, I hope to get the "polluter" cam from tick dropped in there over the next week or two. After that I'll get back on the body work on the car and I hope to have it making passes by the end of this year.

Here's a video of the engine running on the stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HzDvAit5C4
Old 05-20-2012, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

I put some flowmasters on it to get an idea of the idle sound difference before and after the cam swap. Here's the before video. The mufflers really toned it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MEB6...&feature=g-upl
Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Valve springs are in. Here's my homemade valve spring compressor tool in action

Old 07-05-2012, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

I dialed in the carb to work with the new cam. It's a hyd roller, .24x/.24x at .050 on a 112lsa with just over .600 lift. I don't remember the exact numbers. Everything sounds great. No leaks, ticks, squeaks, etc. It cranks right up and idles at 900 rpm/750 with the fan on. Idle a/f is 13.5-14.0 . It sounds better in person, it was a little loud for the camera mic to handle. Everything looks good so it should be ready to just drop in the car and go. Now it's time to get on some body work! I don't know if all the neighbors liked it, but I had 3 hear it and come down to check it out Here's a short vid.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What front clip is that?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

Stock fenders and bumper, vfn 3in extended cowl hood, and a Gary Markwich front lower valence.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

The front clip is in primer. I filled the holes from the antenna and side molding, put a little filler on, sanded it down and got about 4 coats of high build on it. Man I hate body work.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Here's some updated pictures. By tonight I should have a rolling, steering, braking mustang. I should be able to fire it up and pull it around under it's own power this week or next

99-04 brakes

trans and engine oil cooler, remote mount filter

Old 01-30-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What size carb do you have?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

850 Quick Fuel
Old 10-19-2013, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

I got the car finished up this week but it turns out it's not very streetable and I have a few issues. I drove it about 10mi last night to test things out. Once it heats up I start getting a tapping noise from the engine. First off the trans is getting HOT. It's a glide with a 7.5in convertor that flashes to 5500 and cruises around 3400 at 50mph. I have a decent cooler on it but still in 10mi it's up to 230deg. Once the trans heats up the engin follows to about 210. At that point it starts picking up the tapping noise. If I stop and let it cool off for about 15min it goes away until it heats back up again. Also when it does this the idle quality changes, almost going flat, so it seems that the lifters are collapsing when it gets pretty hot. I'm not really sure what to do. I think I'm going to put a high pressure oil pump on it, better lifters, and a bigger trans cooler. I may look into a different convertor too. I'm probably going to take it to the track in a few weeks because the issue does not show up unless you heat soak everything. When the engine and trans are below 180deg everything is fine and it pulls and sounds great. Anyone ever have experience with these engines getting noisey when they get hot??? I drained the oil and found nothing, and put 20/50 back in last night so it's not the oil. Here's a few pictures. I'l put up some more when I get it outside on a nice day to snap off a few good ones.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Who's rear wing is that?
Old 10-19-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I have found with mine the radiator needs to be covered with trans coolers to stay cool. Mine is a 8" that goes 6200. Your going to have a rough time with that valance on the car also. Killer fans and radiator will be needed.

What are the rod and main clearance 20-50 is thick stuff.

Tim
Old 10-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Very nice. Hope you get the issues sorted out soon.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DarkHorse
Who's rear wing is that?
It's mine.

J/K, it's made by Southern Outlaw Shop, or S.O.S.

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
Here is what I have found with mine the radiator needs to be covered with trans coolers to stay cool. Mine is a 8" that goes 6200. Your going to have a rough time with that valance on the car also. Killer fans and radiator will be needed.

What are the rod and main clearance 20-50 is thick stuff.

Tim
Thanks for the reply. What kind of trans temps and cruise rpm are you seeing with your trans/engine? I have a small 16in slim fan on the radiator with no shroud now but I have a Lincoln Mark VIII fan sitting in the shop that's about to go on there. The radiator is only 26in wide, but's it's a 2 row aluminum double pass so it should be up to the task. When you say "coolers", are you running multiple coolers or one big one. As far as the valance it does not allow for a lot of flow through air but if you look under the car there is NOTHING around the radiator, front or rear. I am planning to add a deflector to scoop air up into there. In regards to bearing clearance I have no idea. I've put a cam, pushrods, and valvesprings in it and the rest of the engine has never been opened up and is stock.

Originally Posted by Stinger22009
Very nice. Hope you get the issues sorted out soon.
Thanks.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

I have two of the big b&m coolers on mine I never saw over 180 on drag week
I would suggest two 12" bad to the bone spals with a shroud on them that covers the radiator. The deflector will help but you need more fan

My stuff is mounted very close to the radiator so the fans pull air thru them before the radiator.

Also a thinner oil will be better. These engines don't need thick oil if anything it cuts down on protection.

I run Gibbs ls30 in mine and have been very happy with the way things look in the valvetrain. Stock rockers need the zddp that almost all shelf oils don't have.

Tim
Old 10-19-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

I rev the engine from 2500-3500 when driving to the track

Tim
Old 10-19-2013, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try a few tricks but after doing a little research I may pull my glide and shove a 4l80E in there. I'm going to take it to the track first to get some times with the glide first so I can see if the 4l80E hurts my ET's any if I go that route.

Quick Reply: 6.0L Fox mustang project