Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0L Fox mustang project

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 6.0L Fox mustang project

I joined this site a year or two ago because I was looking to buy a vette and wanted to see what I was getting in to. After learning how much is costs to maintain and modify one of those cars, I decided against it, but still wanted to play with an LSX motor. Well I'm finally about to take the plunge, here's the compromise. It's a 90 hatch that's caged and mini tubbed. I'm going to drop a 6.0L LSX motor in it with ported l92 heads, carb intake, and a big cam hoping to run high 9's or low 10's on motor Going to paint it reef blue, sheet metal wing, drag lites, and a 5in extended cowl hood. I'll update with new pics as I move along Planning on coming in under 2800lbs with driver. I've ordered all the suspension front and rear, and the aje k member which should be here next week. Once I have the car sitting as a roller I'll start getting parts together for the engine. I'll put more pics up next week once I get a little more work done. I'll call it my street car, just like everyone else with race cars with carpet in them LOL

Old 09-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same as mine, i get to start a new car in the spring
Old 01-10-2010, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Well I havent touched the car in months, and finally had a chance to work on it some this weekend. I got the rear under the car with a 29x10 tucked under it, and started filling in holes under the hood. I have the 6.0 in hand, still looking for a cam, intake, and headers for it. I'll keep it coming as I get more done.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Teching In

looking good, so basically your car is going to be my twin except ls powered haha
Old 01-10-2010, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

HAHA, pretty much!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Teching In

good luck and i cant wait to see the finished product! could you take more pics of the fuel cell/mini tub im curious as i want to do similar with mine
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Teching In

nice project not bad for a ford haha
Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Great looking project! You should easily be able to meet your goals of low 10's or high 9's with that setup. What transmission are you planning on running? If you are looking for a good cam you may want to contact Rapid Motorsports they have a cam that will work great with your set up.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hy Darren, I didnt know you were doing this! Looks great buddy, keep us posted!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by daschra79
Great looking project! You should easily be able to meet your goals of low 10's or high 9's with that setup. What transmission are you planning on running? If you are looking for a good cam you may want to contact Rapid Motorsports they have a cam that will work great with your set up.
Yes we do
Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 01-17-2010, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Well I got to put in a long day on the car, but didn't work on what I was hoping. I noticed a small bulge in the frame rail on the strut tower and thought there might be some rust behind it pushing it out so I decided to cut the spot welds and cut out a section to take a look. Apparently water had been getting in between the outer frame rail skin and the strut tower sheet metal and had been sitting there for a while. I removed the outer skin which looked solid except for the small bulge in the center and found that two layers of steel were gone, so I kept cutting. After removing another layer of steel I found the k member bolt support tubes inside the frame rail were nothing but dust. I cut everything out til I got to solid metal and started over. I cut some sections of 1 3/4 roll bar tubing to rebuild the k member bolt support tubes which are now waaayy stronger than stock. Then I welded all the panels to each other inside the rail, then plated over it with .125 plate. After that I had time to fill in a few small holes in the strut tower and put in the main fill plate on the driver side. So even though it doesnt look like I got very far today, I'm glad I decided to dig into that frame rail and check things out. Other than the raised area, which was solid, there were no signs of corrosion. I would have hated to have smoothed the engine compartment only to have this mess show up in a year. Here's a few pics of todays work.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Finally got some time to work on the project over the last few days, didn't realize how long it has been til I went to update this thread. I am almost done with the engine compartment then I'll be able to bolt the front suspension and steering under it and drop the engine and trans in to start mocking everything up. I also got a start on the fuel cell firewall enclosure as well to keep me from getting a gasoline shower should anything bad happen. It'd be nice to get to make a pass in it this year, but at my current pace we'll see.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Here's some pics of tonights progress. Next step will be to clean the engine up and drop it in !!!!!! Should have the spindles and wheels on it by the weekend.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

I got the engine cleaned up and read to go in for mock up. I haven't put the cam and valvesprings in it yet, but that will be the only internal changes.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mikey
Yes we do
Is the tque output accurate in the hot rod article...600+?
Old 06-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Teching In

nice work
Old 06-19-2010, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

We got the engine, trans, and headers put in for mock up over the weekend. Everything fit great, the only issue is the engine is not perfectly straight, I'll have to move the drivers side back about 3/8in by slotting the motor mount plates. The trans is a TH350 with the longer output shaft and the trans mount bolt holes are dead denter on the stock crossmember tab holes so I may be able to bolt it straight to a stock double hump x member once I get my hand on one. Anybody got a spare laying around??? Here's a few pics, next up is the brake master cylinder, prop valve, line lock, and brake lines.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have any pics from underneath of where the trans mount is? Im getting ready to do the same swap.

Quick Reply: 6.0L Fox mustang project