Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric fan question, yes I searched first

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default electric fan question, yes I searched first

Just researching an upcoming swap. A 2005 5.3 out of a suburban. It has a clutch fan. When the harness is reworked can electric fans be added?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2009, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes.

You will need to add a pin to the PCM connector and have your tuner switch it on at your desired temps.

If you want to use the twin LS1/LT1 fan setup you will need to buy or make a three relay switch if you want a high-low fan

You can buy the relay setup along with the pin/wire to put in the PCM from Nelson Performance in Texas or make your own from numerous schematics posted on this website.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Thank you I have seen the three relay diagrams and the offerings from the tuners. I was just wondering if the PCM would allow it on an earlier vehicle. I am going to try and keep the stock clutch fan (trying to save a little now) but would like to have the harness wired for fans in case I need or want it in the future. I would assume that I could have it wired and programmed and that should not cause any issues if there are no fans attached.

Trying to get all m,y questions answered and parts ordered so I don't have many I should have thought of that moments.

Thanks for the help
Old 11-15-2009, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pick up a taurus fan. they pull some serious cfm and can be had for like $15 at the JY. no need to run a clutch fan.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
pick up a taurus fan. they pull some serious cfm and can be had for like $15 at the JY. no need to run a clutch fan.
If the clustch fan fits my stock shroud and keeps the coolant cool why should I change it? I am putting an engine that will be a huge improvement in a 1972 GMC Jimmy. GM used them up until 2005 on some models. I know they rob some power but if it will work and I don't have to spend the $15 (probably more at the lousy scrap yards around here) and will have to fab up some kind of mounting brackets?

Just asking. If there are good reasons to immediately go electric I will. I plan on wiring for it for future electric fans but I am already blowing my budget as it is (as expected).

Thanks
Old 11-15-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm using the factory clutch fan on my 6.0 in my '72, and it fits the fan shroud perfectly. So yours should also work, I don't like to make things more complicated than they need to be.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Launching!

I am hoping it would work. I am moving my engine forward anout 1 3/4 inches so I don't have to move my transfer case, shifter, or alter my driveshafts which are only a year old. I still think I will be OK but wanted to have the harness fan ready in case something doesn't work or I want to change for some reason later. I just think it is easier in the long run to have the harness wired for fans and not need it than to have a need later and have to rework the wiring again.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Fan

When I sent my computer in, I had a fan control added. I'm also using the stock mechanical fan that came on my 02 LQ9. This is in a 68 vette which were known to have cooloing problems. I wired it so the computer can provide a ground for the fan relay, or a trinary switch from the AC can provide the ground.
If you want to skip the computer reprogramming, or already have had it done, just buy a temp switch from summit and screw it in the passenger side head boss.

Last edited by garys 68; 11-15-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You asked if your PCM could be modified to include a provision for an electric fan, then mentioned that you wanted to save some coin keeping the clutch fan. I was only offering that the taurus fan is a cheap alternative to the spendy aftermarket fans - one that is more than adequate for your cooling needs. That being said, there is no need to run an electric if the stock clutch fan will work. Personally, I don't have the room to run a mech fan, so my decision was pretty easy. Plus I think clutch fans are unsightly.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
You asked if your PCM could be modified to include a provision for an electric fan, then mentioned that you wanted to save some coin keeping the clutch fan. I was only offering that the taurus fan is a cheap alternative to the spendy aftermarket fans - one that is more than adequate for your cooling needs. That being said, there is no need to run an electric if the stock clutch fan will work. Personally, I don't have the room to run a mech fan, so my decision was pretty easy. Plus I think clutch fans are unsightly.
I am only trying to save money now with the clutch fan, if I can make it work. Eventually I would like to go to electric because I believe they are better and I agree with the unsightly comment. I am trying to look at all the alternatives. It would probably be cheaper in the long run to have it wired for it now then having to add to or splice into the harness months or years from now? I'm trying to ask all my questions before I start the swap rather than be frustrated trying to find asnwers while my project is stalled.

Thanks for the input
Old 11-20-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont think that you will need to add the wire. The wire is probly already there for what the truck ECM uses to control the recirc damper in the HVAC system. The ECM just needs to be reprogrammed to understand that its controlling a fan, not a recirc damper. If you send your harness to John at Speartech, make sure to be clear and ask for 2 fan control like an F Body. John does great work and will answer you questions if you call him and ask for advice.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am putting a 5.3L in my 68 C-10. I used an LS1 F-body e-fan setup.

I'm using a 2004 ECM and had to add the signal wire to the ECM and I'm working on the rest of the wiring....hope to have it running by thanksgiving weekend.

Quick Reply: electric fan question, yes I searched first