Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Working on a new LS Swap Manual; looking for input

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
You could probably devote a whole chapter to DBW, which pedals work with which TAC modules, and which tune to use with which one ect. It seems like alot of people get into trouble mis-matching parts, only to find out their engine will only idle with no response from the throttle.

For example, I'm trying to figure out right now what the difference is between my 2003 truck pedal and TAC, and a 2004 van pedal and TAC, the truck has nine wires that run between them, and the van has six.
The schematic shows 3 internal sensors in the pedal of the truck and two internal sensors in the van. As long as the TAC and pedal match there shouldn't be an issue.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LSx swap parts

Originally Posted by Thealien
Another question I see asked a lot (and I have some questions posted on here) is cooling system and steam port options.
Hi,
We are making parts for the cooling system and steam vent plumbing, which includes sight glasses that allow you to see if you have all the air out of the cooling system, and transitional hose splicers for connecting LSx engines to radiators with different size hose fittings.

I hope you can show these products in your new books:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...ightGlass.html

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...eSplicers.html
Old 12-07-2009, 01:20 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I'll take a look at these later on, but I'm sure I can include it. Sounds like a good idea.

I'd like to also thank the other LS retrofit companies that contacted me, and if you are reading this for the first time and manufacture LS-swap specific items, feel free to PM or email me and I'll see what I can get published.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple things that come to mind from my swap and frequent questions here:

- Controlling fans and AC
- Relay in the starter circuit to prevent starter motor run on.
- Internal vs external fuel pumps and regulators, tank venting, other emission related stuff.
- AC Mount options (When I built mine it was S&P or build your own).
- Gauge interface, especially oil pressure and coolant temp. Might also add tach and speedo.
- Clutch and shifter linkage.
- How much radiator and fan are needed.
- What you need and don't need from a pull out.
- What more do you need with a crate motor.
- Pull out vs crate motor comparison.
- Cruise control with cable or ETC Throttle.
- Start up prep.
- Air Filter, intake tubing and MAF placement.
- What components of an EFI motor do, for the pervious carb only guys. e.g MAF, Throttle Body, Knock Sensor, crank sensor, Map Sensor.

Hope that helps

Pat
Old 12-07-2009, 05:00 PM
FormerVendor

I’m the other one doing the book The LS Conversion Handbook and me Joseph are going to try to make complimentary books that will work well with each other. I met Joseph at the LSX shootout this year and is a very knowledgeable guy to deal with.

Same story goes with manufactures of LS swap parts let me know if you want any products or marital in the book i got in the works for HP books.

Joseph, I have the LHX pans in a week or so and ill shot you some different pictures then I’m using for your book.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Ok so I did not read the whole post-so shoot me....but
1, wiring, lots of diagrams from many years and pics
2, shifter relocation options-help!!!!!
3, as stated above header options-start with the stock ones and give after market options also.
4, options for clutch master cylinders, I'm going to use a 87 Land cruiser clutch master. It's a 3/4 bore, give options, I'm sure there are many others that would fit the ls1 t56.
5, adaptability, can u use an ls1 intake on a 4.8,5.3,6.0-what is needed for this? what other low profile intake options are out there and how well do they perform. etc...can I use l29 or ls3 heads on my 5.7? (no) you must use a min of 4.0 inch bore...
6, California emmissions, I would put resource information/ where to look for legal swap options in Cali- there seems to be a lot of swaps originating in Cali.
7, Hydraulic end fittings sizes, man what a pain it is to try and fiqure out what size that fitting is when the engine (etc) is in the car.
8, what engines fall under the Ls series engine model and what are they in, which ones are aluminum, which ones have the premium heads...etc
9, How much do individual engine weigh? how long is the auto/manual trans and where do the shifters protrude, what are the auto/manual shifter options-IE how can I re locate my auto shifter to fit X?
10, transmission options to fit the Ls, what comes stock, what needs to be modified to fit IE, will my m21/22 Muincie 4 spd fit to the 5.3L?
I'll post more if I think anything else up.
11, Parts upgrade-what water pump is better and what do I need to make it work?
12, what fuel pump/regulator works, I know an older Vette press regulator and filter works, but what other options ar out there and what is needed to make them work (I'd narrow this down to 2 or three options)
13, Oil pan options, I needed a FRONT sump oil pan off a GTO, I've recently found another front sump pan, but at 850$ I'll cut the old pan up and have someone reweld as needed-what grade of aluminum is best for this fab project?

Last edited by brian g; 12-14-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would add basic tuning options. Either sending it out to a tuner and what you would want to have removed, or how to do it yourself with a program like HPtuner or EFILive.

I would also list some references (such as LS1tech ). I know a lot of people probably start attempting this, and just call a vendor and think they have to order a harness and conversion headers, and engine mounts all from the same place for a lot of $$$. Where as if you shop around or know what you REALLY need it can be done for a lot less.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Teching In

this may sound obvious,
but sizes for the engines external dimensions and such would be nice
-even if its listed on the internet, it would be nice to have a list of it in the book...
Old 12-15-2009, 06:16 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Cool, thanks for all the suggestions. A lot of these were items I already considered so it is good to see them confirmed. I will add the new stuff to my list.

Quick Reply: Working on a new LS Swap Manual; looking for input