See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

1997 Thunderbird Gen III Budget Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing some repair work on a 92 Honda Accord that was given to me.I'm not a rice racer, so it will be up for sale when I'm done.The proceeds will be going toward an LS swap into my 90 Blue Max Cougar.I been parts hoarding for suspension and brake upgrades.Also planning on going with the SN95 Cobra hubs and brakes.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

@smokymance I've seen pics of that bird around before..love that car! I myself used to have a 97 4.6 bird, deffinetly have a soft spot for them! I'm right there with you, I'd love to swap in a 6.0 truck motor into my mark and do the typical bolt ons to it..just don't have the knowledge, time and fabricating skills to do it all myself
Old 05-16-2014, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BFK86
@smokymance I've seen pics of that bird around before..love that car! I myself used to have a 97 4.6 bird, deffinetly have a soft spot for them! I'm right there with you, I'd love to swap in a 6.0 truck motor into my mark and do the typical bolt ons to it..just don't have the knowledge, time and fabricating skills to do it all myself
Im in the same boat as you...wish this swap was easier!!! some real monster tbirds would come out of it...

great write-up tho

LM
Old 05-16-2014, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokymance
Im in the same boat as you...wish this swap was easier!!! some real monster tbirds would come out of it...

great write-up tho

LM
I didn't think it was that hard, but I've been fabricating stuff for years.

Honestly the biggest trouble spots I had were the accessory drive, exhaust manifolds and lack of accurate vehicle side wiring information. Getting the engine and transmission mounted were so easy the engine has only been in and out once - initial test fit and final welding. Granted there was a LOT of measuring to get to that point.

Knowing what I now know (I found this forum after I finished the car) and five years of hard driving later there are many things I would do slightly different.

Next go round I'm may try the LS3 Corvette accessory drive without AC. This would mean I would only need to make the AC bracket for the Ford compressor, but I might have to move the fuse and relay panel in the process.

I'm hoping to get some ground covered on another project of mine so I can start playing with this car again instead of driving it everywhere. I have a lot of little things to update and some upgrades to install in the process.

Thanks for reading, glad you liked it.

Nice cars Smokymance, I still toy with the idea of doing a Mark VIII but I already have too many vehicles. A Mark VIII was the original plan, but the Thunderbird fell into my lap for a price I couldn't refuse.

Last edited by gofastwclass; 05-16-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar corrections
Old 05-16-2014, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

I can't wait for that.I am still looking for a wiring harness for my Accord.Once it's back together,I'm selling it and looking for an LS for my Cougar.Hoping for a 6.0 but will go for a 5.3 if the price is right.I have to do the brakes all around so I'm going with SN95 Mustang hubs and Cobra brakes.Uggg!I'm so ready to start this project and finish so I can drive the **** out of it.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Haha, thats how i ened up working on the tbird as well...and fabricating a 5 speed into it was just like you stated, super easy compared to what people thought...

I have a LS 6.2L supercharged in the truck...and i can only imagine what that powertrain would do to these tbirds...my tbird is slightly above 400 at the wheels and it scoots, I can only imagine making another 200 on top of that!!!

What you need to do is fab some brackets for sale and let the MN12/TTCoA community, people will go wild with their cars...everyone would love an LS in a tbird , they are so beautiful yet so underpowered.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Dingo mounts are what I plan to use.I have been looking for a manual pedal assembly for a t bird/cougar but I can't find one any where locally or online.I did find one online but they wanted $500 for it.They know that there are few left around.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlueMaxCougar
Dingo mounts are what I plan to use.I have been looking for a manual pedal assembly for a t bird/cougar but I can't find one any where locally or online.I did find one online but they wanted $500 for it.They know that there are few left around.
Have you searched on TCCoa.com. Thats where i got my pedal assy , master cyl etc when i converted to the 5 speed
Old 05-16-2014, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Smokymance
Have you searched on TCCoa.com. Thats where i got my pedal assy , master cyl etc when i converted to the 5 speed
I will do that again when I sell the Accord and have cashola in hand.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

I got super lucky, I found a pedal in a salvage yard. Now if I could only stumble across a GM T-56 for a reasonable fee...
Old 05-17-2014, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Unhappy

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I got super lucky, I found a pedal in a salvage yard. Now if I could only stumble across a GM T-56 for a reasonable fee...
That makes 2 of us.My budget for just the engine and trans is $1500.looks like I'll be auto for a while.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Not a problem. If there is anything else you have a question about or want a picture of just let me know. There are tons of undocumented things in the car and I forget about them all until someone asks how or why I did it.

For engine mounts I use the typical Gen I / II small block poly mounts (Energy Suspension 3.1114G) and make an adapter to fit them to the Gen III / IV engines because it's a compact setup. I built one car using rear control arm bushings as engine mounts and it worked fine, but I usually don't have those laying about. Besides, in a pinch I can go to any parts store and get a replacement for the SBC engine mounts - even if they have to be rubber.

I built these for a friend but the same concept is what I used for the Thunderbird.

I just used a regular rubber mount as a mock up because I had some on the shelf.

I'm about to modify some upper control arms for the rear so I can fix an alignment issue I've had since I lowered the car. The factory setup doesn't allow for enough positive camber adjustment with my new ride height and I need to gain about 2.6 degrees according to the alignment sheet. I bought a spare set of uppers ages ago for this project but life got in the way. When I extend them tomorrow I'll take lots of pictures and post them up.
Gofastwclass, I have a 89 Thunderbird and I am swapping a 6.2LS engine. I ran across your build (Awesome BTW) and I have been scouring the net trying to locate motor mounts to the stock k-member, no luck… I seen the #189 post and I like it but I have some questions; 1. Will the mounts you listed (energy suspension 3.1114G) fit over the stock k-member mount? 2. Will the motor with all stock truck accessories and oil pan fit w/ using your mount set up? 3. Will the motor be too far back/forward?
I know I’m shooting a lot out but, I’m ready to get this going but I wanted to do my research first and you’re the first person with a thread that has completed this….
Old 05-02-2015, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

http://dirtydingo.com/store/index.php?cPath=1_354
Old 05-02-2015, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 662KUNTRY
1. Will the mounts you listed (energy suspension 3.1114G) fit over the stock k-member mount?
No. The upper adapters I made mate the 3.1114G bushings to a lower mount that is 100% custom and mimics the setup in the 1960's GM vehicles I'm used to working with. I chose those mounts because I'm familiar with them and had ready access to a set when building the car, not because they actually fit anything. I've also used various control arm bushings on other builds due to space or other concerns. Since I fabricate everything it's a matter of what I have on hand at the time and what the budget or goal is. If the goal is a stock look or cutting as little of the original vehicle as possible, I'll go stock and work around the vehicle. Ironically, the Thunderbird was originally designed to be returned to stock with minimal work.

2. Will the motor with all stock truck accessories and oil pan fit w/ using your mount set up?
No, not even close. At least not under a stock hood which was my #1 goal. I used the Thunderbird AC compressor on a custom bracket. I built a custom low mount passenger side bracket for the alternator and modified the truck power steering bracket. All of this required a custom belt route and a different length belt. If I had it to do over and had a bigger budget I would have probably used an LS3 Corvette or Camaro accessory drive from GMPP. Very clean and fully engineered by GM which makes it very solid.

I used a GMPP Muscle Car Oil Pan kit and it fits perfectly. The factory truck pan hangs down too low. I have less than 1/4" between the pan and crossmember and about 1/2" between the top of the LS1 intake and the bottom of the hood. I know the 1996 / 1997 cars have a bulge in the hood and I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

3. Will the motor be too far back/forward?
In this chassis there really isn't much room to go any direction without hitting something you really can't (don't want to) move. I used the original tailshaft and rear of the engine as a baseline and built everything from there. This gave me enough room to get the heater hoses on the stock heater core to work and clearance for the electric fan up front. I spent a lot of time measuring the stock engine and making notes. As such, believe it or not, the engine has only been out of the car once. In for initial mockup to ensure everything cleared, out and back in after final welding was complete.

One thing to note, this setup will require a custom transmission crossmember. Even though the transmissions are very close in overall length, the mounts are in different locations. I used the factory holes in the body to mount a crossmember of my own design.

Thanks for the interest, the questions don't bother me at all. Good luck on your build.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:28 AM
Teching In

I certainly appreciate it!!!!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Not to sound incredibly stupid, as you probably already discussed this (and I missed it), but how did you tie into the T-bird electronics, if at all?

I actually have a Mark 8 that I'm really not wanting to invest thousands into just to get the ridiculously-huge DOHC engine somewhere into the power range of a stock Corvette, so I look at this swap with interest.

The electronics just scare the hell out of me with this car.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Moose_of_Death
Not to sound incredibly stupid, as you probably already discussed this (and I missed it), but how did you tie into the T-bird electronics, if at all?

I actually have a Mark 8 that I'm really not wanting to invest thousands into just to get the ridiculously-huge DOHC engine somewhere into the power range of a stock Corvette, so I look at this swap with interest.

The electronics just scare the hell out of me with this car.
Power and economics are exactly why I did the swap. I'm a GM guy anyway, but trying to build a 4.6 when 4.8 and 5.3 GM engines start off more powerful, tunable and plentiful just doesn't make sense. Toss in $600 for a cam and springs and you're really running.

Moose_of_Death, this is an excellent question. Most of the vehicle electronics are separate from the engine management which makes life easier. The instrument cluster and OBD II port are really the main concerns coupled with the park / neutral switch for the transmission and obviously fuel pump.

The best bet is to obtain a used dealer service manual for your car. It's a two volume set that includes wiring diagrams, connector locations and pin outs. This will allow you to translate the crazy Ford wiring logic into something you can use for your own purposes. Be prepared for wires that change colours and gauge across connectors. A schematic with pin outs is the only way to go here.

I found my service manuals on The Bay. Mine were surplus dealer stock, only slightly used and reasonably priced. Another option is Mitchell or AllData but you would need to print the schematics yourself. One problem with the subscription option is the price for those may outweigh the physical manual cost and you can keep the manuals.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by BFK86
BFK86,

Is this a LS swap? If so, is there a build thread?

Andrew
Old 02-15-2016, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
BFK86,

Is this a LS swap? If so, is there a build thread?

Andrew
No, we were just discussing changing the bolt circle on the hubs from 5 x 4.25 to 5x4.5 for better stock wheel selection.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

No, we were just discussing changing the bolt circle on the hubs from 5 x 4.25 to 5x4.5 for better stock wheel selection.
Is anyone aware of a documented Mark VIII swap? This chassis seems like a good candidate for a classy, comfortable daily driver.

Andrew

Quick Reply: 1997 Thunderbird Gen III Budget Engine Swap