Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Carb for LS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i was looking at a mighty demon 750 annular on jegs and right now they have a "reman" one for about 90 dollars less.... Think its worth it?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:21 AM
8 Second Club

Well I think a bone stock 750 Holley would work. I have a 6.0 stock bottom with a 620 lift and 240 @ 50. Heads are fully ported 317's with bigger valves. Single plain gm. 1 3/4 longtubes and a 3800 conv. At first I had a 750 I cleaned up myself. I got to talking to folks telling me to try something better. So I got an AED put it on and no difference. I know I did not take it to the track or dyno it but they both respond about the same. They both start and drive fine In 20 degree weather. No problems in the rain also. The l92 head can move more air but I would start with a 750 then go 850. Borrow a good 750 see how it works then make your decision. Every setup is different, I never thought my motor would start so easy in 20 degree weather with a 750. Im trying a 650 next just for street driving. You might need two one for the track and a smaller to save on gas.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rundeep66
Well I think a bone stock 750 Holley would work. I have a 6.0 stock bottom with a 620 lift and 240 @ 50. Heads are fully ported 317's with bigger valves. Single plain gm. 1 3/4 longtubes and a 3800 conv. At first I had a 750 I cleaned up myself. I got to talking to folks telling me to try something better. So I got an AED put it on and no difference. I know I did not take it to the track or dyno it but they both respond about the same. They both start and drive fine In 20 degree weather. No problems in the rain also. The l92 head can move more air but I would start with a 750 then go 850. Borrow a good 750 see how it works then make your decision. Every setup is different, I never thought my motor would start so easy in 20 degree weather with a 750. Im trying a 650 next just for street driving. You might need two one for the track and a smaller to save on gas.
Has it got a choke? My HP750 has a milled body and hates to start/run when it's below 50°. It did better when it was pig-rich (10.5 AFR) but kept fouling plugs. Haven't found the "sweet spot" yet, I traded my cold idle for clean plugs...
Old 01-13-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rundeep66
That's a pretty good sized cam. I can see why a stock DP would like that. With an LS2-6 sized cam something with adjustable idle air bleeds seems to be needed.

I have no trouble with cold weather starts with the mechanical choke on my DP.

By the way I sent a quote request into the pro systems site. They quoted me $620 for a carb. Does seem like a good deal when I look at everything on their carbs. I kind of want to keep the choke though.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daschra79
I would recommend a Pro Systems carb. They cost a little more than the others, but you get what you pay for. You tell them all the specs on your engine and they build a carb that will work for your set up.
Originally Posted by shortyb72
pro-systems all the way
Originally Posted by DMMizell
ProSystems all the way!
no adjustments needed, worked great out of the box, made for my 6.0/l92.
The Idle,response and shift recovery is great, take a listen..
http://www.youtube.com/user/chvl7140.../1/fn719sol8hE

Dave
I read on ProSystemsRacing.com and good information..I consider to switch to E85 Carb from 825CFM carb. (gas) on my Ls2.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

I have heard good things about the pro systems carbs also. My quick fuel ran a hair rich at idle and my buddy installed some different bleeds in one of the metering blocks so now its perfect.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:01 AM
9 Second Club

Yeah i got a quote from pro-systems and they also quoted me 620. I ended up buying the reman annular mighty demon 750 from jegs for $469.

One thing about the reman carb is i probably wont have to worry about all the shavings like a new one might have. Im supposed to get it tommorrow so i post up some results.

Also thanks to everybody for the all advise.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:48 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Has it got a choke? My HP750 has a milled body and hates to start/run when it's below 50°. It did better when it was pig-rich (10.5 AFR) but kept fouling plugs. Haven't found the "sweet spot" yet, I traded my cold idle for clean plugs...
No choke, I thought it was going to have terrible manners. i guess the mad box is working well. I had to add a map sensor to keep from fouling the plugs. I was going with prosystems but that's a lot of money for a street car. when I take it to the track I'm not going to worry about every little tenth. if I can drive it have fun in the process that's okay with me. what's difference will a prosystem, AED, Holley HP, etc make on the street. Unless you're racing for or something then put the best on it. My race car runs 8.98, I had more fun driving my Sonoma in the snow then I had last year at the dragstrip. Excuse me I'm a little burnt up from an AED for no reason.

Last edited by Rundeep66; 01-15-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Teching In

I personally would not buy a demon. Had one once and it would run strong sometimes and sometimes could not even get it to idle. Then we noticed the secondarys were just dumping fuel at idle. Pulled the bowl off to find all kinds of metal shavings through out the bowl and in the needle and seat. Cleaned it up and put the bowl back on...ran great for awile and then acted up again. So we pulled the bowl back off and shavings again! Then we found the problem...on the fuel inlet into the bowl it looked like when they did the machining they quit half way through...(wish i had taken pics so i could show you) and these shavings were keeping the needle off the seat filling the bowl until it starts running out.
Then i did a little research and this seems to be a common problem with demons. So to make a long story short we sent it back to jegs and got a holley 750 street hp and couldn't be happier.
thats my .02
Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems like most agree that the Holley 750DP is a plug fouler. I fouled out another set of plugs after about a mile of driving. I even jetted down 4 sizes from factory settings. I think I need to buy a wideband or find somebody to let me rent theirs for a couple hours.

Quick Reply: Best Carb for LS?