Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!

So over the past 2 years that I have been stationed in Japan, I have been gathering info and ordering parts to do an LS1 Swap into my 89' IROCZ. I want the car to be seriously streetable, completely reliable, fairly quick, and something out of the ordinary. I have yet to see an LS1 swapped 3rd Gen in NM. So I am about to PCS outta Japan and move to San Diego. I will arrive in ABQ on March 16th and I have 30 days to do this swap before I gotta high tail it outta here and drive to CA. The T56 that was in the car before was an LT1 style and wouldn't work with and LS1 so it has been sold and an LS1 style T56 has been acquired. Anyways here is a list of parts that I have already purchased, and a list of what I still need. I will be updating this thread once I start working on the car and will most likely have questions for the LS swap guys.

Parts I have.
ENGINE
Stock 1998 LS1
Callies Compstar 4" stroker crank
Callies compstar H-Beam Rods
Mahle -6cc forged pistons
Gaskets and bolts
Shortblock built by Performance plus in ABQ.
AFR 205cc Mongoose Heads Milled to 62cc and cleaned
Used center bolt Valve covers
Hawks LSX Throttle Cable
Hawks LSX T56 Swap Cross member
Hawks LSX Swap Motor Mounts
Hawks A/C delete shroud
Hawks LSX Swap fuel lines W/Regulator
Hawks Racetronix Fuel pump
Stand alone wiring harness from ebay member "Techrods" (anyone have experience with these harnesses?)

TRANSMISSON
T56 Tranny
LS1 Bellhousing
Ram billet flywheel
Ram HD Clutch
Pro 5.0 Shifter with Lous short stick
Ram adjustable master cylinder
LS6 slave cylinder
LS1 Driveshaft
LS1 Torque Arm
LS1 Manual trans wiring harness

PARTS I STILL NEED.
Cam
Tune
LS6 intake Mainfold
Exhaust (do shorty f-body headers work?)
Other little odds and ends I am sure I will need to get once I am working on the car.
Some pics to start everything off....
Attached Thumbnails 89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-1.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-2.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-3.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-4.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-5.jpg  

89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-6.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-afr1.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-afr2.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-afr3.jpg  
Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice, looks like you already have it planned out pretty well. 30 day swap should be possible. I did mine in 2 weeks into the El camino but I didn`t have a job at the time so it was 15-18 hour days working on it. I`m sure it could have been faster though, it was my first engine swap.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G-Body
Nice, looks like you already have it planned out pretty well. 30 day swap should be possible. I did mine in 2 weeks into the El camino but I didn`t have a job at the time so it was 15-18 hour days working on it. I`m sure it could have been faster though, it was my first engine swap.
I'm thinking that if I have everything I need minus the obvious necessities, It is very we possible. I still have to put the motor together as well though. I have access to a full shop with a lift and air tools which will make things SO much easier. Oh and I plan on doing at least 12 hrs a day since I will be on leave and not have a darn thing to do.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a similar conversion for my 88 GTA, so I will be watching very closely. Please keep us all posted on your progress and any little things that pop up that you need.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope I'm not stating something obvious, or already covered, but I say these in an honest attempt to help. Things I didn't see on your list are the following:

radiator and hoses
cooling fans
extra wire
relays
gauges

When I did my LS1 swap into an '84 T/A I used the stock 4th gen fuel tank. It had the built in pump and regulator. I also used the 4th gen fuel lines. they fit in the back and under the car only needing modification in the engine bay. Of course, it was a stock fuel pump, but it was a clean install. Since you're going with an aftermarket pump you can use a c5 corvette fuel filter. they have an internal regulator. I used one of these on another LS1 swap I did. good for stock fuel pressure. you may need a regular regulator for your modified set up for optimal power.

The 4th gen radiator and fans fit in the car just fine, and you can use stock 4th gen radiator hoses. I did, however, have to use relays to wire in the fans.

I'd also eliminate any/ all fusable links in the electrical system. at least in my car the newer engine with greater electrical loads soon fried the fusable links and left me stranded on the road.

You can use the LS1 power steering hoses- they bolt straight into the third gen box.

Gauges you can technically run without, but are good to have. The tach should work OK, not sure if your car has a digital or mechanical speedometer, but you will need an electrical one with your t-56 (maybe you have that already) . The voltage and oil gauges should work ok, too. but you may need a sender for the oil pressure. Autometer sells a universal one. sorry, don't have the part # but you can get it on their website.

I have a small page on my ls1 swap. you can see it here. I hope it's helpful.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2407208
Old 03-12-2010, 01:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

A 30 day swap is very possible..it took me 7 days total work time factoring in starting with a running LT1 Car, yanking that apart, and dropping in the LS Engine with the LS Wiring Harness I made for it.

Granted it didn't happen all at once like that cause I had to wait on parts and stuff..but it was a day gettin the LT1 and wiring out..about another day re-wiring the LS Harness for the setup & getting it tuned, then a day building the LS Engine, 3 for the install and little bit of re-wiring in the car..and prob an extra day for the little stuff.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

extra wire
relays
gauges
Any extra wire he may want can be reused from the massive pile he will cut from his 3rd gen harness

Reusing the 3rd gen relays is just fine, several swap including mine have done it with no ill effects. The LSx doesnt require anything that the TPI didnt have to begin with. Only original carb cars have to update the fuseblock/relay center

Whats wrong with his stock gauges? 89 Should be cable driven speedo, but a cable-x box can solve that easily. The rest hook up and are A-ok with the new engine

Hes got the hawks fuel line kit with an engine bay mounts AFPR. He needs to update the fuel pump and call it a day

I still havent figured out why people go through the trouble of using a 4th gen gas tank in a 3rd gen. Lots of extra work and expensive quick connect fittings for... practically no benefits

He has a V8 3rd gen to begin with. The stock rad will be plenty fine for the new engine and the stock fan(s) are more than capable of cooling it. Once again, more work for little/no benefit to switch to 4th gen

Deleting fusible links can lead to disaster. I would suggest to move them somewhere local and not on the starter to speed troubleshooting, but running without fused protection is asking for trouble. The fans, IGN circuit, and HVAC blower fan all rely solely on the fusible link

The 3rd gen oil pressure gauge works just fine with the LSx sender. He can even reuse his stock 89 connector. Older ones require the new style connector, but wiring and the gauge are still compatible

A 30 day swap is very possible..it took me 7 days total work time factoring in starting with a running LT1 Car, yanking that apart, and dropping in the LS Engine with the LS Wiring Harness I made for it.

Granted it didn't happen all at once like that cause I had to wait on parts and stuff..but it was a day gettin the LT1 and wiring out..about another day re-wiring the LS Harness for the setup & getting it tuned, then a day building the LS Engine, 3 for the install and little bit of re-wiring in the car..and prob an extra day for the little stuff.
He needs to make a long trip after the 30 day period. Its an all or nothing deal. Personally Id drive the SBC for the trip and do the swap when time/space isnt an issue. His window leaves no plan B should the swap have an unexpected critical failure. Im not saying it cant be done in the window, hes just betting on everything being good. My swap took 6 days from driving it onto the lift until driving it home with 5 days of actual work. I also had a mountain of parts nearly as tall as the car and had been going over the job detail by detail for nearly a year so there wouldnt be any surprises. My critical failure was the oil pump which nearly wrecked the whole swap. His will be new, but thats not saying everything will work out smooth as glass
Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Nothing ever goes smooth..mine was hung up for quite a few hours due to one wire..lol
Old 03-12-2010, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

its very possible I did mine in like 5 days,, but only work on it for about 10-12 hrs a day , one day of the week only( wife;s deal) but i didnt have to put the engine together,,
Old 03-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by van454
I am planning a similar conversion for my 88 GTA, so I will be watching very closely. Please keep us all posted on your progress and any little things that pop up that you need.
Going to be a somewhat budget minded swap minus the major engine components that are harder to replace later on! Will keep updating!

Originally Posted by tuske427
Nice bird.

Originally Posted by the_merv

Good luck.
Well Im starting with a running L98 car, minus a tranny.
So I figure a day to pull the L98.
2 days for fuel pump/ cleaning painting.
1 day to build the engine.
2 days to drop engine/trans in.
And a week to button everything up.

Originally Posted by Pocket
Any extra wire he may want can be reused from the massive pile he will cut from his 3rd gen harness

Reusing the 3rd gen relays is just fine, several swap including mine have done it with no ill effects. The LSx doesnt require anything that the TPI didnt have to begin with. Only original carb cars have to update the fuseblock/relay center

Whats wrong with his stock gauges? 89 Should be cable driven speedo, but a cable-x box can solve that easily. The rest hook up and are A-ok with the new engine

Hes got the hawks fuel line kit with an engine bay mounts AFPR. He needs to update the fuel pump and call it a day

I still havent figured out why people go through the trouble of using a 4th gen gas tank in a 3rd gen. Lots of extra work and expensive quick connect fittings for... practically no benefits

He has a V8 3rd gen to begin with. The stock rad will be plenty fine for the new engine and the stock fan(s) are more than capable of cooling it. Once again, more work for little/no benefit to switch to 4th gen

Deleting fusible links can lead to disaster. I would suggest to move them somewhere local and not on the starter to speed troubleshooting, but running without fused protection is asking for trouble. The fans, IGN circuit, and HVAC blower fan all rely solely on the fusible link

The 3rd gen oil pressure gauge works just fine with the LSx sender. He can even reuse his stock 89 connector. Older ones require the new style connector, but wiring and the gauge are still compatible
^^^He knows what he's talking about.

Originally Posted by Pocket
He needs to make a long trip after the 30 day period. Its an all or nothing deal. Personally Id drive the SBC for the trip and do the swap when time/space isnt an issue. His window leaves no plan B should the swap have an unexpected critical failure. Im not saying it cant be done in the window, hes just betting on everything being good. My swap took 6 days from driving it onto the lift until driving it home with 5 days of actual work. I also had a mountain of parts nearly as tall as the car and had been going over the job detail by detail for nearly a year so there wouldnt be any surprises. My critical failure was the oil pump which nearly wrecked the whole swap. His will be new, but thats not saying everything will work out smooth as glass
Well I would drive the car to CA to do the swap but I have a few things stopping me from doing that.
1.The car currently has no tranny.
2. I can't bring all my tools, the LS1, extra parts, and other **** with me in my car.
3. Im itching to get this swap done.

So Plan B=Last minute airline ticket. I have also been doing SO much research for the past 2 years that I have been planning for this. Also been buying tons of parts for the swap as you can see the list I made in the first post. Oil pump is a brand new TSP ported LS6.

Originally Posted by the_merv
Nothing ever goes smooth..mine was hung up for quite a few hours due to one wire..lol
If it has to be by the Beard of Zeus himself, this swap will get done!!!

Originally Posted by fptransport
its very possible I did mine in like 5 days,, but only work on it for about 10-12 hrs a day , one day of the week only( wife;s deal) but i didnt have to put the engine together,,
I have a shortblock already together and will have to build up from there. We shall see.

I am currently sitting in the airport waiting for my flight. Should be arriving home in about 36hours. I ******* hate airports.... ah well, will post pics once progress progresses!! lol

Last edited by 89L98T56; 03-15-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like you're ready to go
Old 03-15-2010, 01:23 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, did all mine in about 5 days with everything ready to swap, i did do a carb setup, so it way way easier that a EFI with all the hassle of wiring.

good luck!
Old 03-15-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Having the harness built before the swap begins makes the EFI much easier to install and get running than carb. Not that setting the carb up is very difficult
Old 03-16-2010, 07:26 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, the get running part, a carb new in box will usually run, mine was tuned for a 383 i had and DAAAMN i had it rich at idle, ran fine but will be running better after today.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

I had my PCM flashed with a basic 5.3 tune last year then built the harness off the car

At the time of the swap I plugged everything up, hit the key and all was well. No adjustments, no nothing
Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

nice. id love to see and possibly ride in it, as i am planning a 1985 SS with a 6.0 in it. hit me up when you get out here in San Diego! Good luck man
Old 03-20-2010, 06:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SPLATT
nice. id love to see and possibly ride in it, as i am planning a 1985 SS with a 6.0 in it. hit me up when you get out here in San Diego! Good luck man
Definitely will do man.
Little update. Been wrenching for a few days and here is what got done...
Attached Thumbnails 89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1125.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1126.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1127.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1128.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1129.jpg  

89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1130.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1132.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1144.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1145.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1146.jpg  

Old 03-20-2010, 06:46 AM
Launching!

more.
Attached Thumbnails 89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1147.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1148.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1149.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1151.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1152.jpg  

89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-img_1158.jpg   89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!-2010019.jpg  
Old 03-21-2010, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

love the irocs looking forward to the finished product
Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 AM
Launching!

Ordered a bunch of ****. Tomorrow is pull the wiring harness for the TPI motor, rip out the AC, pedals, throttle cable, and old motor mounts. Paint the engine compartment, and install new pedals, master cylinder, throttle cable, and FPR. Will update with pics.

Quick Reply: 89' IROC-Z LSX 383 Swap +AFR+T56 in 30 days or less!