Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mechanical temp sending unit - ok to drill/tap this plug?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Temp. Adaptor

Hello I have one on my ls2 it had to be that long due to the bulb of the sending unit to stick into, The sending unit with this adaptor doesnt reach into the head actually as it sits in the adaptor but you are reading the water temperature and the water gets to that point and I would imagine it gets circulated, I thought about the same thing on the reading and I verified what my autometer gauge was reading with the reading I was getting on my HP Tuners when I had it connected and it was always plus or minus 1-2 degrees which was close enough for me, you can see it on S&P's website and you can get the sender side in either 1/8 3/8 0r 1/2 depending on your sending unit, the head side seals with a copper gasket, be careful on overtightening it as it is a little delicate, the fitting is also a little bulky looking, if I had the head off I would have drilled and tapped the head itself for a cleaner look, but only if the head was off and I could thoroughly clean it after drilling and tapping, the reason being I drilled and tapped my waterpump for a steam fitting and used grease on the drill bit and tap and thought I got almost all of the shavings, but I was a little leary of it so I took it off anyways and took it apart and checked for shavings and was surprised as to how many shavings still were able to fall inside the pump, Hope this helps G/L
Old 04-05-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered one from street and performance and it was 18 dollars. I just didnt want to do any drilling with the motor already in the car.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

lizeec, thanks for the info. the s&p adapter should work fine then.

Originally Posted by key4
Just ordered one from street and performance and it was 18 dollars. I just didnt want to do any drilling with the motor already in the car.
x2, just did the same. i'll post a pic when i get it on.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

I found this temp sender switch at Napa. It is the correct metric thread size for that hole. It comes in both gauge and light versions.

Qty Temp Sender Switch - Gauge
Product Line: Echlin Ignition

Part Number: ECH TS6637

Price: Price
Unit
:
:
Each
Old 04-05-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dickie-311
this is what i did works mint

Only problem with this is what happens when that water pump goes out? You're going to have to do this all over again.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

I'm using Autometer liquid filled mechanical gauges in my Cobra.

That bung has a 12mm thread on it and isn't large enough for the mechanical temp sender. I made a Jig that bolts to the header bolts and let me drill out the hole square to the face and tap it to a larger size. I then machined up an adapter for the mechanical sender to screw into (it needs a tapered seat to seal against)

I cant find any pictures of the drill and tapping jig but here is the adapter screwed in place.

It works great with no leaks. I did a similar setup for the oil temp and used the hole where the sump heater element goes and machined another adapter to suit. This one didn't need to be drilled and tapped at least.

Cheers

Michael
Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

^^That is awesome, LS1_Cobra. You should sell those - a lot of us don't have access to drill presses or the NPT taps.

I just got my adapter from S&P. Works similarly to yours but it's just much longer. When I put it on tonight I'll take pics so people can compare.

Quick Reply: mechanical temp sending unit - ok to drill/tap this plug?