Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1973 RS Camaro LSX Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Gary the car is looking great! What an awesome background to drive around in. I bet mama is glad to have you home. So your definately heading our way in August?! I have to see this car in person maybe even take a ride in it, hint hint!!!
Thanks brother! I was even suprised about how well it cleaned up. It was mostly just dust and grasshopper guts......oh, and maybe a lil rubber on the quarter panels. Funny though, I can't seem to wash away any of the ripples and dents......

This is a beautiful area for cruising! There are a lot of long desolate stretches of road with very little traffic and no houses on them at all. No worries of a child running out into the highway or someone pulling out of a driveway as you're approaching 120! It's hard to drive anywhere around here where the scenery isn't just great. But.....I also miss green grass and tall trees!

So yeah, it is all set in stone. I'm coming back east very soon for a house hunting trip and then will be moving to VA for good in August. I can't wait! We will definately have to get together. I can't wait to see your car in person as well! I'll be glad to take you for a ride, but mine is gonna feel a little weak after you've spent all that time with your 408! And especially with an M6. There's just something about riding in a fast manual car that makes and auto feel boring. My Camaro would beat my TA at the drag strip, but the TA feels twice as fast on the street with all the violence of banging gears and such!

Sending you a PM.....
Old 06-11-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That all helps immensely! Thank you for taking the time to put together such well thought out answers for my questions. Good advice on the manual tensioner. If I run into any belt issues I will have to give it a try. I don't mind giving up A/C and power steering in my Nova. I have a Yukon XL when I want a plush ride. Besides, with manual brakes and steering, no AC and currently no stereo the fiance would want to drive it all the time LOL!

Thank you for the compliment on the alt bracket. I had a few other designs in my head, and then remembered the Keep It Simple Stupid principle and this is what I came up with.

Alright, that is enough Q&A session for now. Tonight I continue tackling the electrical conversion! Wish me luck.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cruisin'73
That all helps immensely! Thank you for taking the time to put together such well thought out answers for my questions. Good advice on the manual tensioner. If I run into any belt issues I will have to give it a try. I don't mind giving up A/C and power steering in my Nova. I have a Yukon XL when I want a plush ride. Besides, with manual brakes and steering, no AC and currently no stereo the fiance would want to drive it all the time LOL!

Thank you for the compliment on the alt bracket. I had a few other designs in my head, and then remembered the Keep It Simple Stupid principle and this is what I came up with.

Alright, that is enough Q&A session for now. Tonight I continue tackling the electrical conversion! Wish me luck.
No problem and good luck!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Camaro has been on the back burner for most of the spring and summer because I've had a lot of work related stuff going on. This included moving my family and entire household from Arizona to Virgina. But now all that stuff is mostly behind me and we're all settled into our new house. So Friday night I was able to take the Camaro out to MIR for some passes. The weather wasn't great (hot and humid), but it was still the best air the car has ran in to date due to the low track elevation.

For some reason the trans brake was acting up (still have to figure out why) so I decided to footbrake the car all night. I'm not sure if the 60' times would have been any better off the trans brake or not but my 60's were on par with what it typically 60'd at higher elevations (1.64-1.67). Since it was a braket race I didn't make any tune up changes during qualification or competition but I'm sure there's some power left in it with some tuning for this tracks elevation. The MPH and ET both seemed just a little off for the DA ranging from 1400 - 1600ft througout the evening.

My new best was an 11.35@118.14 with a 1.64 60'. I also had two 11.38's @ 118.12 and 118.18 with 1.65 and 1.67 60' times. I went out in the 2nd round of competition in an extremely close race with a Malibu wagon. Here's how it went down: I dialed 11.34 and my opponent dialed 11.41 so it was nearly a heads up race from the start. I cut a .011 light and he cut a .012. He ran .02 over his dial and I ran .04 over mine. It was a great race with him winning by just two hundredths of a second. It was a blast!

Here's a few vids of my best three passes. They're a little shaky so be warned. The last vid is of my loss to the Malibu:

Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Gary the car looks great on the track! I think you have a reliable combination due to your diligence. You have pieced together one awesome car. Sorry you were outrun by the wagon. Last time my car was at the track I was put out in the semi-finals by a 77 Dodge pickup running 2 seconds slower than me. At least yours was a close race all the way down. Glad your settled in. I am sure the Arizona local racers are glad your gone! Now to terrorize the Va. folks.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car turned out great!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 AM
On The Tree

Car is looking awesome
Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

looking great! nice times
Old 09-04-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gary the car looks great on the track! I think you have a reliable combination due to your diligence. You have pieced together one awesome car. Sorry you were outrun by the wagon. Last time my car was at the track I was put out in the semi-finals by a 77 Dodge pickup running 2 seconds slower than me. At least yours was a close race all the way down. Glad your settled in. I am sure the Arizona local racers are glad your gone! Now to terrorize the Va. folks.
Thanks Tony! But I don't think the local racers have anything to worry about with me......LOL. It sure is good to be settled in again though. Just in time for hunting season; yet another distractor from the car.

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Car turned out great!
Originally Posted by 1970 LSCamaro
Car is looking awesome
Originally Posted by 00BlackSS
looking great! nice times
Thanks guys......the next steps are a 9 inch and a N20 kit, in that order. Hope to have all of that accomplished before next spring with the rear coming hopefully before October.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I called Strange today and ordered my 9 inch. They said it'd be a 3 week lead time to get it built and shipped out. I'm trying out their S-Trac diff with 35 spline axles. The axles are a little more than I would have went with on my own but it's what their tech department spec'd out for my current weight and power level (plus 200hp N20). Once the rear gets here and I can get it installed, I'll also need to order up a driveshaft and then I should be set!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

I didn't realize it but "the Driveshaft Shop" is about 45 minutes away from my house. Check out their driveshafts when you get a chance. They custom make anyhting you want to what ever power level you are at. I seen one they made for a 2010 Camaro and it was top notch. Good news on the rear! Can't wait to see it.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't realize it but "the Driveshaft Shop" is about 45 minutes away from my house. Check out their driveshafts when you get a chance. They custom make anyhting you want to what ever power level you are at. I seen one they made for a 2010 Camaro and it was top notch. Good news on the rear! Can't wait to see it.
Cool....thanks Tony. I know Strange makes custom driveshafts too and they gave me a military discount on the rear so I'll have to do some comparison shopping when it comes time for the driveshaft.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another month has gone by since my last update so it's time to give this thread another shot in the arm. Guess what the UPS Freight guy brought me today?

Name:  IMAG0381.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  68.4 KB

Yep......I had no idea it was possible to deliver pure sex on a pallet, but apparently I was wrong.

Name:  IMAG0382.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  81.3 KB

Name:  IMAG0383.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  115.1 KB

This is my new Strange 9 inch with 35 spline axles, Pro Iron center section and Strange S-trac differential. Now that its here I need to tack the solid leaf spacers into the perches and then tear the entire assembly apart to paint the housing and center. Then I'll have to tear the brakes off of my 10-bolt and modify (enlarge) the openings on the brake backing plates to fit over the larger bearings on the 9 inch. Once thats all taken care of, I can pull the 10-bolt out, put this baby in it's place and take some measurements for a new driveshaft.

That all sounds pretty easy, right? The problem is, I'm currently sharing my car resources (free time and money) with my other addiction.........hunting. Since I last posted, I've been out to Wyoming where I took two doe antelope with the rifle and then yesterday I took a bear with my bow in the woods behind my house. My car's only saving grace is that I can't hunt here in Virgina on Sundays, so the car may get some attention on Sunday afternoons. But other than that, I can hunt deer from now until the first week of January so it may be a while before I'm back on the car full time. But theres plenty of winter left from January till early April or so......so I'll be more than ready for next spring.

Anyway, here are some pics of my recent hunting exploits for anyone interested. I shot the one doe antelope from 386yds away with my Sako .30-06 on a Harris bi-pod. In the second picture, you can see the plateau in the background that I took my shot from. The antelope fell in her tracks where she is in the picture. I shot the bear at 30yds with my PSE Brute bow. It was a great morning to be in the woods!

Name:  IMAG0355.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  253.3 KB

Name:  IMAG0352-1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  188.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0378.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  146.5 KB

Name:  DSC02156.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  272.3 KB
Old 10-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Default hunting and diff's.

Well the diff looks trick anyway. What ratio are you running.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Your mail order bride sure is pretty! All I can hear now is the sound of a purge solenoid getting ready for action. Come on 10's!!! X2 on the gear ratio!

Are you going to cape out the bear and do a head/hide rug? Congrats on the two antelope. That was a heck of a shot! Remind me not to **** you off.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj
Well the diff looks trick anyway. What ratio are you running.
Gears are 4.11's......same as what's in my 10-bolt, so no real change there.....just a massive strength upgrade.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your mail order bride sure is pretty! All I can hear now is the sound of a purge solenoid getting ready for action. Come on 10's!!! X2 on the gear ratio!

Are you going to cape out the bear and do a head/hide rug? Congrats on the two antelope. That was a heck of a shot! Remind me not to **** you off.
Mail order bride....hadn't thought about it that way....LOL. Nitrous kit should go on over the winter if all goes as planned. I wanna be ready to spray the ***** off of it in the spring......after the rear is broken in, of course.

I'm still undecided on the bear but some sort of taxidermy is going to be done. I'm torn between a rug or some sort of half-body mount with some element of nature (log or rocks) involved. As for the shot on the antelope.......lets just say they don't call "odds of little chance" a "long shot" for nothing....LOL. It would be a "long shot" for me to make that long of a shot again consistently. But hey, sometimes you only gotta be lucky once to fill the freezer.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dam you took out that bear with a Compound bow?

Wow.

Now dont go snooping around Virginia too much - might run into them filming moonshiners.... LOL.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

I hate to talk about another man's rear end, but that thing is something else. Of course the hunting photos make me more comfortable.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
Dam you took out that bear with a Compound bow?

Wow.
Yessir. If that doesn't get your heart pounding nothing will.

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
Now dont go snooping around Virginia too much - might run into them filming moonshiners.... LOL.
What are you talking about......don't you recognize me from the show???? LOL

Quick Reply: 1973 RS Camaro LSX Swap