Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1973 RS Camaro LSX Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
You might want to add some wheelie bars before hand!
I don't know about all that....LOL..but maybe I can put a full foot under the front tires instead of a few inches.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Craig G
I like your style
I'm not excessively abusive on my cars, but I've never let the fear of breaking parts get in the way of having fun with them.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Work continues on the rear end swap at a snail’s pace but I managed to get a few things done this weekend and a little last weekend. Most of my time was focused on tackling the brake backing plate issue. The center holes on the backing plates started out at around 2.70 inches and needed to be opened up to around 3.25 to allow the 3 inch axle bearings to pass through them with a little extra clearance all around.

Name:  IMAG0426.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  97.6 KB

The backing plates are 1/8 inch thick so after exhausting all of my grinding options and getting nowhere fast, I decided to resort to a 3.25in hole saw. The problem with that idea is that there is nothing in the center for the bit to pilot into. So I tacked a piece of angle iron to the backing plate to give me something the drill into. The other part of the angle gave me a way to hold the piece in the vice for drilling.

Name:  IMAG0438.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  149.8 KB

Unfortunately my drill press doesn’t have enough reach to be able to set the backing plate up in it and still hit the center so I had to drill them by hand. That made it pretty tough to keep the hole saw square with my work and led to more than a couple busted ¼ drill bits. I also found that a hole saw that large in diameter (even a good quality one) seems to flex a lot and wants to walk around. My cure for that (learning as I go) was to drill through a 2x4 with it leave the wooden “plug” inside . It was surprising how much that stabilized the blade. Here’s the first one after it was opened up.

Name:  IMAG0439.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  104.9 KB

I still have to finish cutting the second one cause I ran out of ¼ in drill bits before I could finish. I think instead of using the brittle bits as a pilot, I’ll pick up some ¼ in bar stock instead. Hopefully it’ll work a little better for what I need it to do. Once complete both backing plates will be cleaned up, repainted, and reassembled with new wheel cylinders.

I also got some painting done on a few other parts. First up was the driveshaft. The original plan was to remove the u-joints and slip yoke so I could paint the whole shaft black and clear coat the slip yoke to prevent rust. But after fighting with the u-joints a little bit, I decided it would look pretty cool if I cleared both weld yokes along with the slip yoke and just painted the tubing of the shaft black. Here’s how it turned out.

Name:  IMAG0443.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0442.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  69.1 KB

Next I opened up the holes on the brake drums to accommodate the larger ½ in wheel studs and repainted them along with the axle retainer rings.

Name:  IMAG0435.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  90.5 KB

I also took my stock brake lines and re-bent them to better fit the contour of the new rear end and then I hit it with some silver paint to deter rusting. It’s amazing how good of shape it’s in for an original piece (the rubber line is a replacement, the steel lines are original).

Name:  IMAG0437.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  94.4 KB

Since the 9 inch is a front load design there is nowhere to bolt the brass t-union for the rear brake line. So I’m thinking about welding a small stud to the rear of the housing to serve that purpose. More on that over the next couple weeks I guess.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Gary for your service to our country! My family appreciates all men and women that have served so that we may have the freedom to do the things we like and live out our lives according to our plan. It is people like yourself that make that possible!!! Thanks again

Man you have been busy! Way to go on the backing plates. Most people would have given up but not you. That is what makes your car one of a kind. I like what you did to the driveshaft.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 584 Likes on 462 Posts

I really like the painted DS & cleared yokes. It looks like I'm gonna have to barrow (steal) another idea from you Gary. lol. But to make it "my own" , I won't be able to do nearly as nice of a job. Seriously. LOL

Jim
Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I really like the painted DS & cleared yokes. It looks like I'm gonna have to barrow (steal) another idea from you Gary. lol. But to make it "my own" , I won't be able to do nearly as nice of a job. Seriously. LOL

Jim
EXACTLY what I was thinking. Mine will look half a$$ed because why make it that pretty when the rest of my car looks crappy? LOL
Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Gary for your service to our country! My family appreciates all men and women that have served so that we may have the freedom to do the things we like and live out our lives according to our plan. It is people like yourself that make that possible!!! Thanks again

Man you have been busy! Way to go on the backing plates. Most people would have given up but not you. That is what makes your car one of a kind. I like what you did to the driveshaft.
Thanks for your kind and patriotic words Tony.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367

Jim
Thanks Jim. I think this build has elevated me to the status of "rattle-can ninja". I just may end up rattle-canning the whole car by the time this is over.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
EXACTLY what I was thinking. Mine will look half a$$ed because why make it that pretty when the rest of my car looks crappy? LOL
I have the same problem but I'm just hoping someday I can make the top side of my car match the bottom side. It's pretty sad I'd have to roll my car to show anyone where my best work is......LOL.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Today I had a little more free time so I finished cutting the second backing plate. After that I cleaned them both up and hit them with some paint.

Name:  IMAG0444.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0447.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  228.4 KB

Now does anyone know how all this goes back together……..? LOL, thank God for plenty of pictures and Haynes manuals.

Name:  IMAG0448.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  96.8 KB
Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Now does anyone know how all this goes back together……..? LOL, thank God for plenty of pictures and Haynes manuals.
Yeah, you'll get it back together pretty quick. Drum brakes aren't nearly as hard to put together as all these young guys make them out to be. They just never see anything besides discs. LOL That being said, when I first started messing with cars I would do one side at the time so I can run around and look at the other if I forget how something went.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Yeah, you'll get it back together pretty quick. Drum brakes aren't nearly as hard to put together as all these young guys make them out to be. They just never see anything besides discs. LOL That being said, when I first started messing with cars I would do one side at the time so I can run around and look at the other if I forget how something went.
I still do one side at a time and I have done 100's of drum brake setups, lol! I agree on the younger generation with a few exceptions!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I usually do it one side at a time but I still take "before" pictures, just so I don't have to go to the other side of the car and get confused by the "mirror image" effect....LOL. How bad is that?

I'm just hoping the weather holds out long enough for me to get this thing back together and put some break in miles on it before that white stuff starts falling. We shouldn't see any until late December or so but weather has been weird this year.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I guess I can finally call the 9 inch install complete. The only thing left to do now is put some break in miles on it and chage the gear lube.

I ran into two issues during final assembly and testing and both revolved around the overall rear end width being just a little too narrow. First I found that there isn't quite enough space between the axle flange and the break backing plates. So when I installed the drums and spun the rear over it turned just fine but when the wheels were torqued in place the drums would bottom out on the backing plates and bind everything up. Luckily I had some nice thin "custom" wheel spacers (shims really) on hand that my buddy had laser cut for me. So I used one shim between the flange and the drum face and fixed that issue with no problem. Next I found that the overall width of this rear is just slightly narrower that my stock rear. With the stock rear my 10 inch Pro Stars with 5.5in backspace fit good with about .150in worth of shim on each side. Now they require one store bought 5/16th (.312) wheel spacer on each side to fit without rubbing. So the rear is probably somewhere over 5/16in overall wider that the stock one. I'm sure that's within Strange's margin of error, and possibly even GM's.

One simple final touch that I added was to weld a stud to the rear of the housing in order to mount my stock brake's line brass T-junction. It was one of those simple little things that just made everything fit up a little better.

Name:  IMAG0454.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  51.8 KB
Old 11-18-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Great job on the rear install! Looks good under the Camaro. I am a little jealous though!

How did the center brake hose hook up to your 10 bolt? I just had the hose shop make up some braided lines and need a way of hooking the center line to my rear before I buy hard lines. You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the factory bracket would ya?

Looking forward to seeing some hard launches and wheels toting from the '73!!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great job on the rear install! Looks good under the Camaro. I am a little jealous though!
Thanks Tony. It took me a while but I finally got there. It was nice to drive the car again, even if only a few miles.

How did the center brake hose hook up to your 10 bolt? I just had the hose shop make up some braided lines and need a way of hooking the center line to my rear before I buy hard lines. You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the factory bracket would ya?

Looking forward to seeing some hard launches and wheels toting from the '73!!!!
I looked through all my pics and I had to go waaaaay back to find ones that actually showed what you're looking for....lol. So it's pretty simple. The brass T just attaches to the cover with one of the bolts. There should be a notched out portion in the lip of the cover to accomodate the T mounting flush. The bolt was just longer than the others and had a little bit of shoulder on it. Hope this makes sense. If not I can pull my 10-bolt outta the crate and take some close ups (minus the brake line, of course). The pics below shows an aftermarket line. It shows a little braket behind the T but I think that may have come with the aftermarket line. I don't think the stock one uses it but I could be wrong. I know I wasn't using it with the stock line. I actually broke that aftermarket line by the car bouncing up and down on the trailer (no shocks intalled) when I was trailering it up to have the cage installed so that line never saw any use at all. I got mad when I broke it and just put a stock parts store line on in its place.

Name:  P1050464.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  134.3 KB
Name:  P1050462.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  152.7 KB
Name:  P1050463.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  139.6 KB

Last edited by GC99TA; 11-18-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Gary! I think I will make a bracket to mount it above to clear the inspection cover.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Everything looks great. It's amazing to have a 40 year old car that is basically brand new. I just received a care package and am curious to know if your new driveshaft is shorter or longer than the old one.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by futureuser
Everything looks great. It's amazing to have a 40 year old car that is basically brand new. I just received a care package and am curious to know if your new driveshaft is shorter or longer than the old one.

Thanks Dan. The new driveshaft is 1 7/8 longer than the old one. It seems the 9 inch is a bit "stubbier" on the nose than the 10-bolt was. What might that care package be ?

I've actually been driving the car a lot lately on the weekends and pretty much have the gears broken in and ready for a gear lube change. Last Sunday alone I put 151 miles on the car with an hour-long cool down period after the first 54 miles. I was pretty proud that I used my headlights, heater, and windshield wipers simultaneously during this cruising session! Yeah, getting caught out in the rain at night time with full slicks and skinnies is a bitch, but the street-cred earned with my buddies is priceless......

Last edited by GC99TA; 12-06-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Street-cred is huge. I just re-read the last page and see you posted this already. I guess I'm in the market for a new driveshaft.

Quick Reply: 1973 RS Camaro LSX Swap