Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new mast motorsports oil pan ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 71ANTICARB
Have you guys thought about using the retrolsx pan.
The RetroLSX/JZMotorworks pan looks like a nice piece. The reason some of us doing the swap on A-bodies are waiting for the Mast pan is because the Mast pan has a thinner profile at the front of the engine. This thinner profile gives extra clearance the the steering tie rods. Tie rods hitting the oil pan while turning is a problem for LS A-Body swaps. This is the main reason why some do not buy the beautiful AutoKraft oil pan.

Another bit of news on the JZ Motorworks pan is that he has sold this design to Holley. So, there will be no company behind the product any longer. The new Holley pan due out this spring does not appear to have any better clearance in the front for A-body swaps.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 71ANTICARB
Oh yeah and I did email a copy of this thread to Chris. As far as I am concerned that is simply unacceptable business practice. You always always always under promise over deliver, not vice versa.
Thanks for forwarding it to me but I have been watching this thread since it started.

I'm a car guy just like you guys and know what its like to have a company tell you they will ship your product one day and then it has been delayed the next!

We are working really hard to get the pans out to you. Yes, the pick up tubes were the original hold up and the machining was the next hold up. We have some really exciting projects going on around here. (I cant go into detail at this time.) These projects have held up the machines longer than expected and prevented the oil pans from being completed on time. As many of you know Mast has grown leaps and bounds over the last few years and we are doing our best to expand to meet our customers needs. I really appreciate you all sticking by us through this and assure you, that when you finally receive your pan, it will have been worth the wait!

Pretty creative with the NC trip!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Why would you buy the mast pan if you can finish your installation with another available pan?

The only reason I am waiting is I tried using a truck pan and it would not fit without tunnel mods. I expect that the mast pan will keep me from cutting my tranny tunnel.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by MastMotorsports
Thanks for forwarding it to me but I have been watching this thread since it started.

I'm a car guy just like you guys and know what its like to have a company tell you they will ship your product one day and then it has been delayed the next!

We are working really hard to get the pans out to you. Yes, the pick up tubes were the original hold up and the machining was the next hold up. We have some really exciting projects going on around here. (I cant go into detail at this time.) These projects have held up the machines longer than expected and prevented the oil pans from being completed on time. As many of you know Mast has grown leaps and bounds over the last few years and we are doing our best to expand to meet our customers needs. I really appreciate you all sticking by us through this and assure you, that when you finally receive your pan, it will have been worth the wait!

Pretty creative with the NC trip!
So, did the pans get to you yet? If not, were they shipped?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's not advertise here if you haven't paid to do so. No more warnings.

-orangeapeel
Old 01-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by ModMuscle
Cuz they're cool.

Well...I like the features their pan has more than others. Especially the fact that it is a cast pan like GM. Maybe the sheet metal pans are just as good but I suspect there is a reason GM engineers did it that way.
I suspect that reason is less oil leaks.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Old School Heavy

Chris dropped the ball this week. He is supposed to be sending everyone with an order an email update as to the progress. Since he did not send the progress report email, I guess we will all have to call him individually for an update.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 599 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Chris dropped the ball this week. He is supposed to be sending everyone with an order an email update as to the progress. Since he did not send the progress report email, I guess we will all have to call him individually for an update.
Chris chimed in with my problem of getting mixed answers from MAST when I called months ago. He follwed through and gave me the answers I was looking for. For that, he is "ok" in my book. I agree MAST has some issues with customer support. I wasn't impressed with their VVT spacer kit either. I had to double up one side of the gaskets and its stil pot luck if it will seal complely as the WP still mad contact with the VVT portion of the timing cover. I will probably ditch the spacers and its problems and just go with a L99 WP.

I don't mean to muddy up your thread, but MAST is letting its fast growth get in the way of customer supprt and products that aren't as advertized.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Old School Heavy

I pm'd Retro two months ago about his pan and he has yet to respond. That doesn't give me warm fuzzies about giving him my hard earned money either. So...the wait continues.
The Retro LSX pan made by JZMotorworks is history. They sold out to Holley. The owner of JZMotorworks posted on LS1Tech a month or so back letting everyone know.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Old School Heavy

Are we talking about the same guy?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320627572652

I did not know there was an association between Retro and JZMotorworks. Never heard of them actually. And isn't the pan from Holley in the same boat as Mast? Available yet future?

EDIT>>>Just did some researching and you were right. I was understanding that Shawn at RetroLS was the one behind the pan...not another company. Hmmph.
As I understand it. The Retro LSX guy made a deal with the owner of JZMotorworks to market the pans. Unfortunately, he was never able to sell as many as he told JZ Motorworks that he would. You can probably still buy the left over pans, but there will be no company behind them if you ever need a replacement or warranty/support.

Also for consideration, I have read there are two problems with the JZ Motorworks pan. The front of the pan is too deep and contacts the tie-rods on A-body cars and the oil control provisions are poor for cornering and braking situations.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Old School Heavy

The reality is that we are not exactly big money or high volume consumers. So, there is just not a huge financial incentive to drop everything and get our products to market. Us hot rod guys are a very small niche. Frankly, we are kind of fortunate that any of this type stuff is available at all.

Just to take you back in time a bit. Back in the day, we hot rodders made everything. And I mean everything. You could not just go to the speed shop and buy all of the things they have now. Back then, you could buy cams, intakes, and headers for the most popular cars - everything else like oil pans, fuel systems components, brackets, adapters, etc etc etc all had to be fabricated or adapted off of junk cars. We made everything back then. I am still a little amazed when I go into the local speed shop and see so many things on the shelves that we used to have to make ourselves. So, we are spoiled as hell now.

I intend to call Chris today and see if he received the pans that were scheduled to be shipped to him last Tuesday. I sure hope the answer is yes and they are on their way to you.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I think the root of this problem is advertising something for sale before it's available on the shelf. I understand there are reasons to do this (like generating buzz, getting feedback, and estimating demand), but in the end if you can't deliver on a date, quality, or price, you've exposed yourself to negative impressions. I have my own small business and I've learned my lessons about advertising or even talking about potential products, features, or improvements. My rule now is to keep the cat in the bag until product is on the shelf. I may have a select test audience that's "in" on my development activities, but it doesn't go beyond that.

Just my $0.02.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 AM
FormerVendor

I agree. Mast is fortunate that they don't have any close competitors in the pan department. Having read the comments here and elsewhere...if there was another comparable pan...I would not think twice about buying it. Chris...Its nothing personal but you gotta realize what this is doing to Masts' image. It definitely isn't helping.

As for the Retro pan...I haven't heard anything regarding its fitment in an a- body. I pm'd Retro two months ago about his pan and he has yet to respond. That doesn't give me warm fuzzies about giving him my hard earned money either. So...the wait continues.
This is the reason we have taken the time and resources to design a pan. We noticed there was a void in the LS Conversion market!

Believe me I understand how people are viewing this. Please understand we are doing our best to get this pan to you guys! If it were as easy as pushing an "Easy" button (Your welcome Staples) then the market would be flooded with LS Conversion pans!

I know that we made a mistake by announcing the pan too early. I will not allow that to happen again! No one has been charged for their pan and will not be charged until their pan ships!

Chris...since I know you read this...would you care to elaborate on what we will need in addition to your pan? i.e. what dipstick and tube? What windage tray? Any other items we need to procure for install? Thanks!
I can tell you what I have been told will work but until I am able to fit the pan myself I will not guarantee these items will work. I highly recommend you wait for final word on dipstick and filter.

Dipstick - LS2; P/N 12570788 and 12570787
Oil Filter - AC Delco - PF48

Your stock windage tray will work with this pan. The pan will include bolts and AN fittings but no gasket. A standard LS oil pan gasket will work, P/N 12612350.

Originally Posted by tsnow678
You should get your April edition of Hot Rod in March. Don't blame me I told you so. March is right around the corner. I have developed a new pan that will fit in an A body. It will give the needed clearance up front and it will hold 5.5 qts. of oil has a sweet pickup and utilizes an LS3 dip stick. The cost will be around $450. It will incorporate the bellhousing bolts. Send a money order today to Snow Performance to preorder. All I am waiting on are a few bolts. They should be here by next week.
This guy has jokes!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Chris chimed in with my problem of getting mixed answers from MAST when I called months ago. He follwed through and gave me the answers I was looking for. For that, he is "ok" in my book. I agree MAST has some issues with customer support. I wasn't impressed with their VVT spacer kit either. I had to double up one side of the gaskets and its stil pot luck if it will seal complely as the WP still mad contact with the VVT portion of the timing cover. I will probably ditch the spacers and its problems and just go with a L99 WP.

I don't mean to muddy up your thread, but MAST is letting its fast growth get in the way of customer supprt and products that aren't as advertized.
Thanks for your post, please feel free to contact us regarding your issues. Damon, our walking Wikipedia of all things Chevrolet, may be able to help with the issues you are running into.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

I Agree^^^^^

I don't expect any company to drop what they are doing for something I "want". That would be silly. I HOPE so much that Mast is able to produce the pan and has great success with it because as speedtigger said...in the good ol' days it was much more challenging to build something like this. I keep coming back to this thread because I look forward to seeing the post "I GOT IT!"

Not wanting, or intending, to bag on Mast at all. Sorry if I come across as if I am.
We appreciate any and all feedback which is one of the reasons we are on this forum. We want to know what our customers think!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Old School Heavy

Thanx for the insight Chris, but I would love to get that update email so I don't have to use your time and mine with a phone call. Can you give us a progress update please?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any plans to release a version of the pan that mounts flush up against the transmission as the other LS1 pans do, complete with the proper bolt holes for fastening to the transmission? I think that would be great, and I know I'm not alone on this one!

Originally Posted by MastMotorsports
We appreciate any and all feedback which is one of the reasons we are on this forum. We want to know what our customers think!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by FastKat
Any plans to release a version of the pan that mounts flush up against the transmission as the other LS1 pans do, complete with the proper bolt holes for fastening to the transmission? I think that would be great, and I know I'm not alone on this one!
That is a constant complaint about the aftermarket pans.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Snow, no more posting prices or where to order items from.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes..that's the big advantage to the Mast design. But as of right now...that's all it is... a design! Why are people having such a difficult time producing things? And then for company's like Edelbrock to scrap their stuff. I don't get it. Why is it so hard to spend money?!
Due to the ever-decreasing number of manufacturing/casting/machining facilities in the USA, and the amount of time it takes to learn to speak Chinese and wait for the boat with your parts to come in. And then the time it takes to inspect them and reject them all due to quality issues. Then wait for the second boat.
Maybe ?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gjestico
Due to the ever-decreasing number of manufacturing/casting/machining facilities in the USA, and the amount of time it takes to learn to speak Chinese and wait for the boat with your parts to come in. And then the time it takes to inspect them and reject them all due to quality issues. Then wait for the second boat.
Maybe ?
No, all of our products are Cast, Machined and Assembled here in the USA.

We have our Machine Shop in Walled Lake, Michigan. Which is very close to Detroit and just a short drive to the Foundry that we use to cast our parts!

Quick Reply: new mast motorsports oil pan ???