Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck accessories (a/c comp) with edelbrock engine adapter plates

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default truck accessories (a/c comp) with edelbrock engine adapter plates

Has anyone tried to use the edelbrock adapter plates with the stock location of the a/c compressor on truck motors in a-body vehicles? does it work or is there a clearance issue?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to order them for my swap since I want to use all the same bracketry
Old 08-07-2010, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

I doubt that it'd work, I just ran into a similar problem with my GTO accessories going into my 70 A-body. I couldn't even mount up the bracket to the block...

Don't know for sure, but I don't think so.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Launching!

oh really? that bad? i have heard the truck accessories sit a little farther forward, but if the bracket mounting for the compressor interferes there then it probably do the same for me.

i see you made some mounts your self? any schematics on how you did that I'm thinking I might give it a go
Old 08-07-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what Ive seen the only way to get the a/c compressor to work in the stock location is to notch the frame and use the "orginal style BRP" plates.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try www.c1pulleys.com or www.kwikperf.com or www.novak-adapt.com
Old 08-08-2010, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevyboy91188
oh really? that bad? i have heard the truck accessories sit a little farther forward, but if the bracket mounting for the compressor interferes there then it probably do the same for me.

i see you made some mounts your self? any schematics on how you did that I'm thinking I might give it a go

I used the BRP Template that is provided in the FAQ's section here.
http://matt.undiagnosed.org/ls1/imag...t_plate_V2.jpg

Although I modified the design a little to suit my needs, This says all holes are 9/16's unless stated, I made all of mine 7/16, and tapped both holes for the old style motor mounts to 3/8" instead of just the top one to 10mm.

That being said, With the BRP style mounts and the frame stands relocated, my Stock GTO compressor will fit no problem with a small notch in the crossmember.
Steve
Old 08-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Deserttaco
I used the BRP Template that is provided in the FAQ's section here.
http://matt.undiagnosed.org/ls1/imag...t_plate_V2.jpg

Although I modified the design a little to suit my needs, This says all holes are 9/16's unless stated, I made all of mine 7/16, and tapped both holes for the old style motor mounts to 3/8" instead of just the top one to 10mm.

That being said, With the BRP style mounts and the frame stands relocated, my Stock GTO compressor will fit no problem with a small notch in the crossmember.
Steve

so you made the brp style mounts and then you used the old school chevy small block motor mounts. The brp adapters bolt to the engine then the old style motor mounts bolt to them and then the frame? how did you connect the mounts to the frame? and did you shim them up at all? sorry for all the questions i have limited time to get this done once I start it lol
Old 08-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chevydog66
I'm in college so these aren't alternatives for me lol but I am a future mechanical engineer so I don't mind modifying designs to fit my needs
Old 08-08-2010, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevyboy91188
so you made the brp style mounts and then you used the old school chevy small block motor mounts. The brp adapters bolt to the engine then the old style motor mounts bolt to them and then the frame? how did you connect the mounts to the frame? and did you shim them up at all? sorry for all the questions i have limited time to get this done once I start it lol

Yes, I used the templates that I posted above and cut them from 1/4 inch plate. Then I used Energy Suspension short and wide engine mounts. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-3-1114G/ . I used the stock Chevy 307 short/wide frame stand. I will be modifying the frame stands (Haven't finished this part yet) and will be using a 3/8 plate as a spacer on the frame crossmember. I will also be threading the mounting holes on the spacers and welding them to the frame, so I don't have to worry about attaching the nuts from the bottom side. I only had a few hours in the garage yesterday, so I didn't get a lot done. I'll keep updating my build thread with info like that once I have it.

No worries on the questions, been there done that... Actually I still ask all kinds of questions.

Oh and by the way, I deffinately understand the budget thing.... Granted I'm not in College anymore, but with 3 small kids and a wonderful wife to support. I'm all over saving money and time!

Steve
Old 08-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Launching!

thanks alot Steve I understand what you mean now, I think I am going to follow suit using the brp mounts on the block and then I will use the original style engine mounts, I am going to use another piece of 1/4" or 3/8" plate and thread it and weld it onto the frame like you were also. extra clearance never hurts.

I'll be checking your post to see how yours turns out