Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 and 200-4r to L92 / T56 in 71 Chevelle convertible...now Gen V LT1 6L80e swapping

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012 | 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Do you have the tach hooked up? if so are you reading RPMs while cranking? Seems one of the more common issues when this happens is the computer not getting the signals it needs from the crank and cam.

Do you hear the fuel pump priming? Have you checked to be sure you have fuel to the motor? (wet spark plugs? fuel pressure tester?)

As to checking the firing order I am no expert but what I would do is pull out the schematic for the computer pin out and check continuity between that pin and the injector plug.
Old 09-03-2012 | 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

I don't know if it is the poor speaker quality of the phone, but it sure sounds low on compression? I have been following your thread and you seemed to have jumped all around the car and either upgraded or replaced multiple components within a close time frame. That makes it hard to diagnose if it is one problem or multiple problems or one component that is affecting another system.
Old 09-03-2012 | 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Very nice car...just read the whole thread
Old 09-03-2012 | 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1970 LSCamaro
Very nice car...just read the whole thread
Thanks, at some point I'm going to go through and make it more readable and less stream of consciousness rambling.
Your camaro looks to be in nice shape, good place to start.

Originally Posted by rfrankb4
Do you have the tach hooked up? if so are you reading RPMs while cranking? Seems one of the more common issues when this happens is the computer not getting the signals it needs from the crank and cam.

Do you hear the fuel pump priming? Have you checked to be sure you have fuel to the motor? (wet spark plugs? fuel pressure tester?)

As to checking the firing order I am no expert but what I would do is pull out the schematic for the computer pin out and check continuity between that pin and the injector plug.
The tach is hooked up, but power to the gauges is cut when the key turned all the way to "start".

Just put a new fuel pump in, you can here it work and the fuel pressure gauge sender is mounted on the rails.

Originally Posted by lizeec
I don't know if it is the poor speaker quality of the phone, but it sure sounds low on compression? I have been following your thread and you seemed to have jumped all around the car and either upgraded or replaced multiple components within a close time frame. That makes it hard to diagnose if it is one problem or multiple problems or one component that is affecting another system.
The compression does seem low, I feel like the motor is turning over too easily.
I did jump around a bit but none of the things I changed really affect each other. New suspension has nothing to do with the engine, the harness is it's own thing, the brakes are a closed systems, etc etc but I know what you mean. Troubleshooting takes longer than I'd like, but the up side of that is the increased potential to learn something new.

What sucks right now is that my next school break of any real length isn't until the summer. Guess I'll just pull the motor and sort of start over from step one. If nothing else it'll be a good chance to throw in a new trans.
Old 09-03-2012 | 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like no spark or no injectors to me.
    • Next see if the coil packs are plugged in.
    If those things are happy,
    • check the crank and cam sensor wiring to make sure they are plugged in.
      Crank sensor is on the block behind the starter and the cam sensor is behind the back of the intake on top. You may have to remove the starter to reach the crank sensor's connector but the intake can stay in place (depending on your firewall) to get to the cam sensor plug.
    • If those are all okay, you may have a ground issue.

Hope it is something simple like a popped fuse or a connector you forgot.

Hope this helps.
    Old 09-04-2012 | 07:34 AM
    Staging Lane

I agree, it sounds like no spark or no injector pulse which could be a VATS issue. The easiest way to check for injector pulse or spark is to take a 194 bulb and insert the prongs into the injector plug or coil connector (harness side) and turn the engine over while keeping an eye on the light bulb. If it doesn't light up it could be a VATS issue or in my case it was just a loose bulkhead connector on the ecm. You also need to make sure that you have power to the ecm while cranking as this could also be your problem. Good luck and hope it fires for you!
    Old 09-04-2012 | 07:55 AM
    TECH Fanatic
    10 Year Member

That sounds easy enough I can try it over thanksgiving break, I'll pick up a couple bulbs and give it a shot. Rechecking all the sensors, fuses and the harness shouldn't take too long or be too filthy of a job. Still thinking about the holley efi kit as well, so far it would have been cheaper if I'd just bought that in the first place.
    Old 09-05-2012 | 11:49 AM
    On The Tree

That seems to be an overreaction. It is almost surely a simple issue or two. I do not have any significant time off from school either until christmas (my med school loves to give us tests the day after thanksgiving break so that does not count).

However, if you do not have something worked out by then I will be helping a friend with a Duramax swap into his 2500 yukon in Birmingham. Consider towing your car over to Birmingham and we will help you work through the details of the swap that can be missed without a sounding board. Additionally, I have HPtuners we can plug up and that will give you tons more information.

A secondary benefit of this is that I have some odds and ends of my LS swap left over and we are pulling a known good 6.0 and 4l80 out of his yukon if we need any small parts or odds and ends.
    Old 09-05-2012 | 04:51 PM
    TECH Fanatic
    10 Year Member

That's a generous offer but I'm not sure the logistics of getting the car to Birmingham from Nashville will work out all that well. If I were looking at it as a panacea to fix my nagging problems then the Holley certainly would be overkill, but I've been wanting to get away from the need for a tuner for a while now. Considering where I am in the project now, buying hp tuners and learning to do it myself next summer might be a good way to go, and you are most likely right that it is a fairly simple fix.
    For now I'm just taking people's input and making a list of the simple things I can check over Thanksgiving break, I figure if I do the web research now I can maximize my time in the frozen garage later. One thing I have decided for certain is that the front seats I have are coming out and something with a built-in shoulder harness will take their places, probably seats from an E46 or similar. Now that I know I won't be stuck in ATL if I don't want to be for my 3rd and 4th years a T-56 is starting to sound like a good idea as well.
    Old 09-21-2012 | 11:43 AM
    TECH Fanatic
    10 Year Member

Not a lot going on but it's always nice when new toys arrive. Still not 100% sure if I'm going to use this or not but I got a good price on it, sold a camera and finally received the restitution check from one of the ******** who robbed me last year so figured why not at least have it on hand. I had read a few anti-holley efi posts in another thread that said this kit did not come with a wideband O2; as is often the case that guy had no clue what he was talking about, it comes with a Bosch.

Still keeping an eye out for a T56, I know the GTO units are supposed to be a bit more robust but they seem to have lower 1st, 5th and 6th gears. With my 3.73:1 rear I'm thinking an F-body or converted viper trans might be a better idea. First gear will be basically useless either way, but I like the idea of a .50 6th gear for getting between Atl and Nashville. What sort of rear do people generally run with a t56?
    Old 09-21-2012 | 11:59 AM
    TECH Resident

Chuck...when was the last time you checked the plugs? If you were having an issue with the original pump (didn't read the whole thread thoroughly) then it is very possible you fouled the plugs. If it never ran long enough to really clear anything out then it is possible those things are now toast. Very easy to do surprisingly?

Also, did you do anything non-factory? Cam, MAF, etc???

Dave
    Old 09-21-2012 | 01:31 PM
    TECH Fanatic
    10 Year Member

I'll check them when I get back since I think I'm going home again on the 5th, but I'm pretty sure I pulled them last time I was messing around. Worth looking into though for sure. I'm not sure how long it would sit there, but since I turned it over a few times without spark I've been wondering if there might be fuel above the cylinders; if so I was thinking I should pull the plugs to let it evaporate. This might or might not be necessary, just something I thought of. The car is 4 hours away so all I can really do at this point is think about potential problems.
    Non-factory stuff would be the cam, pushrods and springs and everything 58x to 24x related. The more I think about it the more I think I need to double check the crank and cam sensor plugs.
    This is just a note to myself before I forget - check efi - a/c turn on signal.
    Old 09-21-2012 | 08:36 PM
    ModSquad
    10 Year Member

Chuck, I'm running a 3:73 with my t56. Haven't driven the car yet, as I'm still building it, but I did a lot of research on here, and other sites, and the 3:73 seemed to be the favorite gear of many. I have f body tranny with the .50 sixth, btw.
    I've heard many great things about the Holley efi kit, and have looked at getting one myself.
    Old 09-22-2012 | 04:00 PM
    TECH Resident

I had 3.90 gears I'm my gto, and it wad a lot of fun. I would often skip 2nd or 3rd (intentionally) depending on driving situations.
    Old 09-22-2012 | 04:43 PM
    TECH Fanatic
    10 Year Member

I'm thinking I'll just start in 2nd, wind it up and jump to 4th for most of my in town driving. I'd like to think I'll be conservative in my driving like I am now, but I have a feeling things will change by the time the car is done, hah hah. Pretty much decided on an fbody unit though for the .50 6th I think. It's not a huge deal, but considering the car is about as aerodynamic as a brick the extra 13% reduction from the gto .57 would be about 270 rpm difference when at speed, which at today's gas prices is about $4 million dollars a year savings.

71, didn't you have a build thread? I can't find it for some reason.

Looking around for deals, there is a guy here selling a viper spec t56 for a reasonable price, but it doesn't have any of the other stuff that adds up quickly, like the slave and clutch and all. I probably wouldn't have to worry about rebuilding it any time soon though. There is also a swap shop in Chattanooga that parts out cars and so has everything I'd need, a GTO setup would run $1650 or so I think, F body $1500 maybe? Of course that is all stock stuff, which might or might not be ideal. I'm sure stock is fine, but I know a lot of people need to go in and replace shift forks and all that. I do want to get another tick master cylinder though, it looks and feels like a quality piece. The other consideration, which goes without saying in these forums, is that boost is always temptingly floating out there on the horizon.
    Old 09-22-2012 | 07:04 PM
    TECH Resident

No, i didn't end up doing a build thread, thought bout doing an after though. Don't forget that the gto is irs, and requires mods to use with a regular setup.
    Old 10-02-2012 | 11:47 AM
    TECH Fanatic
    10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 71ANTICARB
    No, i didn't end up doing a build thread, thought bout doing an after though. Don't forget that the gto is irs, and requires mods to use with a regular setup.
    I had forgotten, but I think I've settled on an f-body trans, that way I won't have to worry about bell housing or starter compatibility or anything like that, looking to buy everything at once and quit piecing things together if possible.

This weekend it looks like I might get to run home and mess around with things a bit, and I was thinking that while I'm there I might at least lay the EFI stuff out to get an idea of what it might take to put in. While considering this I called Holley to see if they had an injector harness that would connect their EFI main harness to my ls3 injectors, hoping that I could swap out the LS1 one that came with my kit. The guy on the phone told me that the HP EFI kits don't even come with an injector harness of any sort, and that I would have to spend $85 on this - http://www.holley.com/558-201.asp

That sounded odd since I thought these were more or less complete kits, but as I wasn't home at the time I just took his word for it.

Now that I'm home I popped open the box again and found this -

Now, am I a crazy person or does that not look like an injector harness? Can anyone think of a reason I wouldn't just use this harness, a set of these adapters http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-LS1-EV1-To...52822e&vxp=mtr and just plug and play? What am I missing here?
    In my mind it seems as simple as LS1 harness - Adapter - LS3 injector.
    Old 10-08-2012 | 10:29 PM
    On The Tree

Wow! Have not checked your thread in a while. One step forward two steps back heh.
    Yah those adapters look like they should work. Overall I think you made a good choice with the Holley efi kit. Its a cleaner wiring harness than a modded stock or fast harness. As far as tuning I will keep you posted how it works for me, should be starting up within a week or so. From what I was told by he boys at Wegner is they are the cats ***! Keep up the good work!
    Old 10-09-2012 | 08:33 AM
    TECH Fanatic
    10 Year Member

It seems that way, but I think once I get a week or two with it I can get it going. I can't understand why it isn't working, I checked all the wiring when I went home over the weekend but it seems like the computer doesn't know where the crank and/ or cam are. First thing next summer I'll see if I can replace the sensors and I'll double check that I have the right cam gear (pretty positive I do, but it's an easy thing to do). I tried swapping the outer two wires on the cam position sensor since I know some people have had to when swapping to an ls2 but it didn't change anything. Since I plan to sell this comp and harness once it's out I want to be able to show that it works before I pull it.
    I'll check back on your thread to see how the holley works, curious as to how the initial setup process goes. For now I'm just cruising the classifies for a t56 and on BMW forums looking for seats.
    Old 10-09-2012 | 10:28 AM
    Launching!

Originally Posted by chuckd71
    Spectra EFI tank, $360 from rockauto:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

TR224 on 112:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Did you buy the SPectra tank for 360, then the pump separate? I am contemplating a LSx swap into my 72 Chevelle and this whole EFI fule tank business is really throwing a monkey wrench into the budget.

Quick Reply: LS1 and 200-4r to L92 / T56 in 71 Chevelle convertible...now Gen V LT1 6L80e swapping