Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 240sx swap and ca state reff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ref

If they wont allow the 2006 4.8 truck motor and the 700r4 in my 1989 Xr4ti, running with 2 cats and 4x O2 sensors and all the other smog stuff also producing 5x less crap into the atmosphere than the original rough 2.3 pinto with a smokey turbo attached... but would allow me to swap in a 1990 350 chevy motor that matches the 700r4, with one obd1 cat and a single wire sensor and other archaic devices.. that pollutes more and is less efficient.. they have thier heads up thier ar$es.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:56 AM
Teching In

i hope everything works out for you dude

this **** sucks for all of us
Old 09-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Teching In

There's no logic to the system, but there's no one with an ounce of power that cares. You'd think with all the "green" around here someone would have figured it out. Unless the giant carb monster has already struck them down.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Default smog and referee

I have the phone number of the of the boss's boss of the referee, as the first boss said "no"- he gave me the number of his boss, so I could explain my situation to him and hope some logic may sink in. He is not available till monday, so im having to wait till then.

Surely a non OBD1 car with NO check light, single cat and one wire non heated O2 sensor, EGR, vane meter with smoky turbocharger that just scraped thru emissions, that has been totally transformed into a clean running 2x cat 4x O2 sensor, map, maf and charcoal canister modern design engine that would be better for Mr Green Enviroment. Its all about whats written in the manual and NO common sense will prevail.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thedrill
I have the phone number of the of the boss's boss of the referee, as the first boss said "no"- he gave me the number of his boss, so I could explain my situation to him and hope some logic may sink in. He is not available till monday, so im having to wait till then.

Surely a non OBD1 car with NO check light, single cat and one wire non heated O2 sensor, EGR, vane meter with smoky turbocharger that just scraped thru emissions, that has been totally transformed into a clean running 2x cat 4x O2 sensor, map, maf and charcoal canister modern design engine that would be better for Mr Green Enviroment. Its all about whats written in the manual and NO common sense will prevail.
Got any pictures of your swap? I am looking to do the same to my XR4Ti. I am very interested to see what they say about the 5.3L as I also wanted to use that engine, but with a T5 behind it. If you can't use the 5.3L and have to have the same trans the engine came with, then that changes things considerably. In that case, guess I'll have to look for an f-body LS1 and T56 to swap in.

I take it you've talked to the guy with the LS2 XR4Ti in santa monica?
Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Default xr4ti

Originally Posted by WhiteLX
Got any pictures of your swap? I am looking to do the same to my XR4Ti. I am very interested to see what they say about the 5.3L as I also wanted to use that engine, but with a T5 behind it. If you can't use the 5.3L and have to have the same trans the engine came with, then that changes things considerably. In that case, guess I'll have to look for an f-body LS1 and T56 to swap in.

I take it you've talked to the guy with the LS2 XR4Ti in santa monica?
Give me your email address by P.M. I asked the guy with the LS2 about the swap initially.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Teching In

so its not gonna get bard?
Old 10-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Default ref

Originally Posted by coke
so its not gonna get bard?
Not with the 2006 OBD2 truck motor and the 1989 700r4, its gonna have to be "upgraded" to a 1989+ TPI motor with obd1 that matches the transmission, I tryed explaining to the so called clever people at the BAR that it was actually a "downgrade" from what I already have.. buts thats what the stupid C&nt$ want.

Or Cut the roof off the car and make it into a truck
Old 10-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thedrill
Not with the 2006 OBD2 truck motor and the 1989 700r4, its gonna have to be "upgraded" to a 1989+ TPI motor with obd1 that matches the transmission, I tryed explaining to the so called clever people at the BAR that it was actually a "downgrade" from what I already have.. buts thats what the stupid C&nt$ want.

Or Cut the roof off the car and make it into a truck
to be honetly i dont know much about v8 motors and trannys , but in a honda, i know someone has different motor and tranny, like motor is h22 from a prelude with a adapter plate to bolt a trany from integra b18 still get bard

maybe in your case its 700r4 being "wrong type" and not being computerised

cali is so fucked up right now , we should just forget about imports , we can only drive family cars and pre 74 musles, not to mention those theives who steal your car , your rims.

we cant have nice things anymore
Old 10-02-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thankfully I moved away from CA years ago, I would have had to drive only pre-74 vehicles. That state's laws are so ridiculous, but as the good book says, man's wisdom is foolish.

Good luck, is it both the motor and transmission causing issues, or can you put a 4l60e or something behind that 5.3 and get passed?

I know you guys live out there, but I'm still hoping to wake up one morning and find out CA is floating out in the ocean!
Old 11-06-2010, 02:45 AM
On The Tree

Whatever happened to this?
I'm hoping a simple trans change (I know retarded reason for not passing BAR!?!?!?!) will get the car through.
Any updates?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Default update

Originally Posted by brian g
Whatever happened to this?
I'm hoping a simple trans change (I know retarded reason for not passing BAR!?!?!?!) will get the car through.
Any updates?
Ive not persued the BAR engine swap problem as the car still has a valid smog certificate till march 2012.. still on the lookout for a cheap lt1 car motor so I can go back to OBD1, so it will pass the BAR test. Once its been stickered, I will go back to LSX and a 6.0 instead of the 4.8.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Teching In

i know im bring back my old thread but what are some carb approved block huggers? i herd about some new ones that recently came out form a co-worker but cant seem to find them?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coke
so much fails in the thread

a truck motor in a car is never gonna be legal, a motor from a car is never gonna get bard in a truck/van, read dmv motor swap rules you will see , motor from different class cars cant be put in legally

cats have to be in the stock location in order to get bard
That is also a problem as was found out later in this thread, I am actually going the other way, putting a car motor into a truck...however the trick I hear is putting a shell on the truck as to remove the "commercial" rating and then a car motor should be no problem, I will soon find out if this is truth or not...

Quick Reply: ls1 240sx swap and ca state reff?