Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012 | 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

What you don't see in the picture is the PS pump. I plan to run an F-body style alternator bracket that includes an idler using gen 4 / gen 5 camaro belt routing. At this point it is: Gen 5 Camaro L99 waterpump ps pump and tensioner, LY6 D44 high amp alternator low mounted with gen 4 Camaro bracket & idler, Denso 10S17 ac compressor and bracket, gen 5 LS3 intake, LY6 throttlebody.

To elaborate on the new, new, new, as of this exact moment, subject to change again and again compressor plans:
The back of the 10S17 compressor is about 1" in front of the frame stand using the Doug's adapters at 1/2" setback. If you look at the frame stand, the top forward bolt would interfere with the compressor, so I will need to trim back the frame stand as well as the subframe. For this I think I will drill a new hole in the original stand somewhere between the current two, then use it as the new forwad mounting hole.

The bottom of the 10S17 compressor housing at the lower mounting bosses is actually in almost exactly the same place as the Sanden TRSA12 compressor I was attempting to use before, however I now have the option of cutting the rear lower mounting boss off, which would gain clearance for the lower control arm perch in the subframe. This likely will be needed considering how far back this compressor sits. The result is 3-point mounting instead of 4 for the compressor, but I think this will be okay.

Port location on the 10S17 isn't as good as the TRSA12 compressor. The ports are still at 45 degrees, but they are much lower on the compressor and further out. They will sit just barely to the inside of where the upper control arm cross shaft will be. The discharge port is the worst since it's lowest and furthest out on the compressor. To handle this, I plan to use Docs Blocks PN AA2210 which routes tubing tightly against teh compressor at 90 degrees so it runs forward toward the front of the compressor. Here is an image:

Depending on how much room I have with the UCA cross shaft, I may have the option on the suction port to go straight out from the compressor, but if that doesn't work I can use a similar fitting to the one above (AA2209) to route that tube forward also.

Things will be very tight, especially for getting the compressor in and out. I may have to remove the upper control arm when installing it. Also because of the proximity of the motor mount, frame, and compressor bracket, I will need to have the bracket (but not the compressor) installed when I drop in the engine because there will be no room for a wrench at the lower rearmost bolt once installed.

The nice thing about all this is that even though it will be PITA to R&R, it's not something I'll be doing often and for the price of my time and frustration, I will have a cleaner engine bay and some stories to tell about all the combos I tried.

Also a few other notes on the TRSA12 compressor I was going to use before:
I have since looked at the TRSA12 and found that I could use a neutral position, mount upside-down adapter like the Autokraft (or Ak copies I made) with the OEM TRSA12 bracket trimmed appropriately. With the AK mounts I believe it could work with appropriate frame notching. Both the TRSA12 and the 10S17 tensioner mounts are pretty low and I may need to shim down my sway bar to get clearance in that area.

I abandoned the TRSA12 because with the 1/2" setback, right-side-up Dougs adapters I could not use it in the OEM position. After swapping pulleys so I could move the compressor forward, I mocked things up and was unhappy with the resulting port location and the need to build a custom bracket with idler pulleys to get the belt routing to work. I felt this was too many compromises and I wanted to explore other OEM compressors, after which point I found the answer (hopefully!) right under my nose with the 10S17 that original would have come on this engine.

That's all the so-called logic my brain can offer at the moment.

As for dropping it in for a test fit, fat chance! I am painting the inside of our house for my wife's birthday - just one of the many reasons progress is soooooo slow. But I gotta tell you I've really enjoyed thinking through all the stuff above. Also tsnow, big thank you for sending pictures of your compressor; that was very helpful.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 01-23-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-20-2012 | 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Did you do the cutting with the engine in? If so, WOW. That must have been really tight. It's hard enough with the engine out of the way!
All my cutting and welding was done with the engine in place with accy's all in, it was a pain in the butt and thats why my welds look like a 3year old did it lol.

Last edited by 74novacustom; 01-20-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-22-2012 | 03:20 AM
Staging Lane

...I plan to use Docs Blocks PN AA2210 which routes tubing tightly against the compressor at 90 degrees so it runs forward toward the front of the compressor.
They are a nice source for A/C fittings and have a ton of great products to route the hoses pretty much any direction you need to go.

Great project and thanks for putting in all the R&D work for the rest of us

Congrats on hitting five years.
Old 01-22-2012 | 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

clint, at the very least you can likely put this thread on your resume and get a nice gig as an automotive accessory/packaging engineer.
Old 01-23-2012 | 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Nothing like pure stupid determination and a family to keep a project dragging for years on end!

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 01-24-2012 | 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Not the easiest fit-up or welding, but I think this turned out okay, if not acceptable. I had one area at the bottom right of the radius where there was some gap (about half a material thickness), so I did a series of smaller welds at higher wire speed to prevent burning through. Getting this fitted was tough - lots of surfaces needed to be matched. I went vertical down on everything this time - much easier to get a nice looking weld.

I'm very happy to have that buttoned up. Now I've got a bunch of layout work to do on the other side.
Old 01-25-2012 | 03:52 AM
TECH Addict

The notch looks nice! Now to get you to fly over and do mine, lol! There is one more item to check off your list. So you have the compressor located, engine situated around everything, and the notch made. Pretty good for a weeks worth of work. Peck at it and before you know it you will be looking for things to do. Keep up the good work and thanks for the pics.
Old 01-25-2012 | 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you for the kind words. I have a TH400 crossmember that appears to be OEM style. When I had the engine in and the headers, I slipped the 3 to 2.5" reducers onto the headers and they did just barely clear the crossmember. I will need to be careful with where I put the flanges. I planned to check that next time I have the engine in. I don't know how consistent these headers are made. I was disappointed when they didn't work with Autokraft syle mounts because I have seen other people use those mounts with these headers. It may be variation in manufacturing, variation vehicle to vehicle, or something different about my combo. One thing you might think about is cutting back the collector tube and adding a jog or angled pipe to bring the exhaust down a little. The collector tubes on mine are much longer than necessary.

Thank you for the link! As usual I haven't made progress. The holidays took over! I also changed jobs a few weeks ago and that didn't help; I've been too stressed out to do more than zone out after I get home and put my son down.

My wife is awesome though. I woke up Christmas morning to find this under the tree:

It doesn't look like much in the boxes, but that is a Texas Speed VVT-2 camshaft, PRC dual springs, chromoly pushrods and phase limiter. I about wet myself when I opened the package. I couldn't believe my wife had bought such an expensive present. I had told her a while back this was the leading candidate for my build and she did the homework to contact TSP and get the kit. Immediately I thought back to that Comp Cams tech bulletin about the phaser change. There was no way she would know what phaser I had to order the right cam core. Here is the tech buleltin for those not familiar; you NEED to order the rigth cam for your phaser or your cam timing will be off by 13 degrees: http://www.cpgnation.com/.../1501d12...-comp4-133.pdf

So I rushed out to the garage and removed the VVT electromagnet from the timing cover to take a peek inside. This was a great way to get in to see the phaser part number without having to pull the crank pulley and timing cover.

My phaser is PN 12606358 which is the "newer" style and uses Comps -189 core. Fortunately this is the core TSP sold to my wife, so I'm in good shape

I have done some work on the frame notching, but I'm not quite ready to share that. Hope to have something to show this week. Hope everyone has had a great Holiday and good luck heading into the new year!
Nice build and workmanship!
Did the TS VVT 2 cam come with instructions to reprogram the ECM?

Mike
Old 01-25-2012 | 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

Your wife figured out what cam you wanted and ordered it? That is kick ***! Great work and keep up the good job... I have high expectations and will be watching!
Old 01-25-2012 | 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice looking welds! Much nicer then most you see on here!
Old 01-26-2012 | 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LongIsland63SS409
Nice build and workmanship!
Did the TS VVT 2 cam come with instructions to reprogram the ECM?
Thank you Mike! The cam doesn't come with instructions for reprogramming the ECM, but TSP will modify your phaser tables if you send them your HPTuners file. For now I got some screenshots from another member with the same cam because I don't have HPT. It isn't very complicated. I plan to work with a local tuner to get my combo dialed in.

Originally Posted by futureuser
Your wife figured out what cam you wanted and ordered it? That is kick ***! Great work and keep up the good job... I have high expectations and will be watching!
Thanks! My wife is awesome.

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
Nice looking welds! Much nicer then most you see on here!
They're definitely getting better now that I've gotten more time with the machine. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2012 | 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tsnow678
The notch looks nice! Now to get you to fly over and do mine, lol! There is one more item to check off your list. So you have the compressor located, engine situated around everything, and the notch made. Pretty good for a weeks worth of work. Peck at it and before you know it you will be looking for things to do. Keep up the good work and thanks for the pics.
Thanks man! Definitely nice to be checking something off the list. I felt the same way when I wrapped up the G-mod. Unfortunately this is just one of two sides, so there's still notching yet to be done, but progress is progress! Are you thinking about notching yours too?

My next steps are:
- Measure and remeasure the fitment dimensions for the new compressor
- Lay outline for notching the frame
- Agonize over the dimensions
- Drill new upper mounting hole for frame stand and trim for clearance
- Cut a giant hole in the passenger side of the frame
- Plate it back in like the driver's side
- Test fit engine
- Check fitment of alternator
- Trim compressor bracket and compressor mounting flange as needed
- Check fitment of compressor & decide on fittings
- Check fitment of swaybar around AC bracket/tensioner
- Celebrate success and get on with the project

I'm still undecided on whether or not the next test fit should be the final fit. If so I need to paint beforehand.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 01-26-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2012 | 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure without looking back, but do you have the tranny x-member? have you fit it with the engine/tranny in the car? What are you using for throttle, dbw or dbc?
Old 01-26-2012 | 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

I have the TH400 crossmember that I was using with my smallblock. I did mate the engine and transmission on the last test fit. Even though the tranny sits a little further forward than stock, it does still sit on the crossmenmber flange. I will need to modify the crossmember flange(s) to get it to bolt up. Driveline angles looked fine last time I fitted this way.

I will be using drive by wire (DBW). Currently I plan to use the LY6 87mm throttlebody, but I'm considering porting it myself (link for reference). For the pedal, while I do have the Silverado pedal that came with the engine, if it will work I would prefer to use a C6 pedal because they are smaller, metal, and easier to attach to the floorboard. It would also be easier to add a kickdown switch to a C6 pedal for my TH400.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 01-26-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2012 | 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Not really an update, but I picked up a card style MAF sensor off eBay for $20. It's an LS7 MAF, but don't tell anybody it came off a Cobalt. The P/N is 15865791. Kinda fun scrounging for interchangeable parts and piecing this thing together.
Old 02-02-2012 | 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

That's a good find. Have you been looking into finding someone local for custom tuning or are you going to learn yourself? Please tell me you're not going with a mail order.
Old 02-02-2012 | 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Mail order is out. I have a local tuner in mind, but haven't met with them yet. I would love to do it myself, but I don't have the experience or time to get it right without a lot of hiccups.
Old 02-02-2012 | 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Also, the dealerships are removing the gas pedals on certain new corvettes and throwing them away for a certain cosmetic interior package. So you should be able to score one for next to nothing. Just have to switch 2 wires.
Old 02-02-2012 | 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

I hadn't heard that. Where are these turning up?
Old 02-02-2012 | 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hadn't heard that. Where are these turning up?
I also wouldn't mind hearing more, if I don't end up liking the feel of my modified one.

Quick Reply: '70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT