Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone swapped into 99-04 mustang street car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone swapped into 99-04 mustang street car?

Looking for some good info on the swap. Ive searched and find mostly fox bodies and race cars.

Im looking for some info on what parts i need and what will work off my car. I want the car to be a street car A/C-Heat etc.

Id also like to put a t-56 in the car. Preferable Cable drive if its possible.

Will the Fox body Kooks swap headers work on the 99-04s?

any help is appreciated just trying to get a budget and more accurate idea of what will be needed.

Ryan
Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Yup, I put a 5.3 in a 2001 Mustang. It has heat but no AC(engine was damaged in wreck). I used the AJE crossmember and made headers. Pretty easy swap w/4l60e made my own trans crossmember, fits better than the ford v6 did! I have about $4000 into the build including the price of the car. I will probably try and use the ford AC.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Teching In

engine details? wanna know more, i have a 2000 GT and am ready for something new.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Launching!

I didn't hook the AC back up but it shouldn't be that hard to use most of the ford parts and have a couple of lines made.

As far as everything else it wasn't horribly hard to do
using AJE kmember and mounts along with Dynatech headers
Old 10-10-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's not a mustang but the concepts are the same... My Thunderbird is my daily and the build is listed in my signature. With good planning, ample time, skills and a realistic budget it really isn't that hard - good luck.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

Im in progress on my 2000 Gt build with 5.3/th350 with 88mm turbo. Engine and tranny is in and mounted. Used factory Trans and motor mounts. Reason being I already had a QA1 4.6 k-member and the motor mounts are easy to bolt to a LS based motor. There is a write up about it somewhere on here. But I have no PS AC and ditched the hydro boost brakes for a manual brake setup. Used speedhut guages. But I went more the strip side than I did street but it will get driven a lot. Ill have roughly 7000$ in it but I have a lot of good parts and the motor isnt stock and it is a turbo build.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

I've got an LQ4 in a 2000 GT.... Pretty much all the same things which apply for the fox bodies apply here as well. I've done one of each and both were more or less the same. I see no reason why you couldn't use the kooks for the foxbody in a new style car, I would think that if anything you would gain clearance in the tunnel/under the car. The 4l80 fits great too!

Mine is turbo'd so I don't know and I had headers built for the foxbody I did.

Here's a recent vid . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av_2OgD9-Qk

I have pics too but don't think I have them hosted anywhere.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Here are some pics to show the amount of room etc.

For the AC - you can make it work using the AC compressor and bracket(s) from the Fbody but you cannot do this and run a factory front sway bar.... Not gonna happen. Sits right down where the sway bar is. Making lines would be cake though and heat is a no brainer. Tons of room underhood really and fbody fans fit awesome - as does the fbody radiator.

Good luck and hope it helps . . .
Attached Thumbnails Anyone swapped into 99-04 mustang street car?-rside-saleens.jpg   Anyone swapped into 99-04 mustang street car?-img00078.jpg   Anyone swapped into 99-04 mustang street car?-eng-bay-kit-installed.jpg   Anyone swapped into 99-04 mustang street car?-crossover.jpg   Anyone swapped into 99-04 mustang street car?-engine-bay-b4-kit.jpg  

Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

You can also keep the hydraboost brakes if the car was a GT and had em stock. I had a line made to adapt the Fbody PS pump/lines to the Ford hydraboost brakes... Works great.

You'll wanna use an 01 Cobra throttle cable as well. Works/fits great with a small bracket to hold it to the manifold, rail or wherever is convenient.

A tip for mounting the trans or building a crossmember - USE the stock mounts on the body. Cut em off and slide them back or to wherever you need em - weld em back on then build a cross member to fit. Perfect!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Mullett, nice car you got there! Runs good too.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
Mullett, nice car you got there! Runs good too.
Thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts

Mullet,
Damn dude. thats is sweet!!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Mullet, Did you have to beat/modify the trans tunnel at all? any more pics or build thread?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OceanStateTuning
Mullet, Did you have to beat/modify the trans tunnel at all? any more pics or build thread?
Ya know earlier today I thought I really should of done a build thread....

I can tell you this - my first car was a 90 foxbody coupe and the 4L60 I used in it required a good bit of pounding the tunnel up where the trans is kind of "boxy" toward the bell. This current build is a 00GT and I used a 4L80 since it's obviously making a good bit more than the first car which was only an NA 5.3.... I was DREADING getting the 4L80 to fit! I was pleasantly surprised when it more or less slipped right up in there without issue. The 80 is much larger but tapers quickly from large to small as you get further from the bell and closer to the tail shaft. It also is smoother in shape or more rounded so it doesn't have HUGE bosses/ears that stick up off of the trans.

Anyone doing this swap on a 99-04 needs to go simple on the trans cross member and re-use the mounting tabs/brackets that are spot welded into the tunnel from the factory. If you get under you'll see they are basically an L shaped piece on each side. They sit inside the tunnel where on most cars the mounting point for the cross member is down low and runs from side to side below the trans mount. If you cut off the stock brackets from the tunnel cleanly then you simply get the trans sitting where you want bolt the factory 5 SPEED GT cross member up to the 4l80 (or 4l60 I'm sure) and then tack weld the brackets to their new home. *You will need to drill out the factory cross member so it can bolt to the 4l80 but aside from that pretty easy/straight forward.

The cleanest way really to do this would be to cut off the factory brackets and then order new ones from Ford to weld where you want them. You could also toss the factory cross member if you want and build a nice flat cross member and mount the trans mount of choice to it.

For motor mounts and Kmember I have used aftermarket 4.6 Kmember and mounts both times and will continue to do so. They're built well and the fit is perfect when using the fbody oil pan. only downside to this is that if you're planning on running some kooks or other companies "LS1 Mustang Headers" they do not fit with most of the 4.6 kmembers... I tried Kooks with the following K members and they DID NOT FIT: UPR, Granatelli, Maximum Motorports and QA1 . . . You will find the same to be true for most others because most 4.6 K members only vary slightly in the area where the headers hit.

Like every thread here relative to mustang swaps has said - the Fbody fans and radiator fit awesome. For gauges everyone seems to constantly ask what works and most spend a BUNCH of money running auto meter stuff but I have used the Fbody cluster on mine and it fits awesome. I can't tell you how to wire it because I had Speartech add the cluster plug into my harness and will never NOT do it again. Works perfect and was truly plug and play. Below is a couple pics of the cluster in my 2000 GT looks stock when driving and from above or outside the car you can see a small gap where the fbody cluster has an "arch" for the camaro column. Doesn't bother me . . .

Included couple pics of the cage too...
Attached Thumbnails Anyone swapped into 99-04 mustang street car?-camaroclusterinstalled.jpg   Anyone swapped into 99-04 mustang street car?-cageds.jpg   Anyone swapped into 99-04 mustang street car?-cageps.jpg   Anyone swapped into 99-04 mustang street car?-eb2.jpg  
Old 01-26-2015, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mulletnotch
Ya know earlier today I thought I really should of done a build thread....

I can tell you this - my first car was a 90 foxbody coupe and the 4L60 I used in it required a good bit of pounding the tunnel up where the trans is kind of "boxy" toward the bell. This current build is a 00GT and I used a 4L80 since it's obviously making a good bit more than the first car which was only an NA 5.3.... I was DREADING getting the 4L80 to fit! I was pleasantly surprised when it more or less slipped right up in there without issue. The 80 is much larger but tapers quickly from large to small as you get further from the bell and closer to the tail shaft. It also is smoother in shape or more rounded so it doesn't have HUGE bosses/ears that stick up off of the trans.

Anyone doing this swap on a 99-04 needs to go simple on the trans cross member and re-use the mounting tabs/brackets that are spot welded into the tunnel from the factory. If you get under you'll see they are basically an L shaped piece on each side. They sit inside the tunnel where on most cars the mounting point for the cross member is down low and runs from side to side below the trans mount. If you cut off the stock brackets from the tunnel cleanly then you simply get the trans sitting where you want bolt the factory 5 SPEED GT cross member up to the 4l80 (or 4l60 I'm sure) and then tack weld the brackets to their new home. *You will need to drill out the factory cross member so it can bolt to the 4l80 but aside from that pretty easy/straight forward.

The cleanest way really to do this would be to cut off the factory brackets and then order new ones from Ford to weld where you want them. You could also toss the factory cross member if you want and build a nice flat cross member and mount the trans mount of choice to it.

For motor mounts and Kmember I have used aftermarket 4.6 Kmember and mounts both times and will continue to do so. They're built well and the fit is perfect when using the fbody oil pan. only downside to this is that if you're planning on running some kooks or other companies "LS1 Mustang Headers" they do not fit with most of the 4.6 kmembers... I tried Kooks with the following K members and they DID NOT FIT: UPR, Granatelli, Maximum Motorports and QA1 . . . You will find the same to be true for most others because most 4.6 K members only vary slightly in the area where the headers hit.

Like every thread here relative to mustang swaps has said - the Fbody fans and radiator fit awesome. For gauges everyone seems to constantly ask what works and most spend a BUNCH of money running auto meter stuff but I have used the Fbody cluster on mine and it fits awesome. I can't tell you how to wire it because I had Speartech add the cluster plug into my harness and will never NOT do it again. Works perfect and was truly plug and play. Below is a couple pics of the cluster in my 2000 GT looks stock when driving and from above or outside the car you can see a small gap where the fbody cluster has an "arch" for the camaro column. Doesn't bother me . . .

Included couple pics of the cage too...
Hey bud what did you use for a drive shaft did you have to custom make one or did the factory one fit. if you did custom it do you remember the demensions
Old 01-26-2015, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gabriel Caban
Hey bud what did you use for a drive shaft did you have to custom make one or did the factory one fit. if you did custom it do you remember the demensions
I did a 4L80E in my 99 mustang. The stock mustang driveshaft is the correct length, you will just need to swap a turbo400/4l80e yoke onto it.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:35 AM

Default 98 v6 mustang 4.8 swap

i got a piece of **** v6 in my 98 mustang and i want to put a 4.8 in it. any idea how i should go about it ? is this an easy swap? id like it to have ac and a manual transmission. I'm ok with using a cheap 300 dollar 4.8 from eBay. any ideas guys?
Old 06-16-2020, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
Yup, I put a 5.3 in a 2001 Mustang. It has heat but no AC(engine was damaged in wreck). I used the AJE crossmember and made headers. Pretty easy swap w/4l60e made my own trans crossmember, fits better than the ford v6 did! I have about $4000 into the build including the price of the car. I will probably try and use the ford AC.

Hey bud was wondering on your ls swap if you ha e the hydroboost system how did you get the brakes and power steering function well?
Old 06-16-2020, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,212 Likes on 2,508 Posts

Originally Posted by tyrannosaurus mex
Hey bud was wondering on your ls swap if you ha e the hydroboost system how did you get the brakes and power steering function well?
The poster you replied to hasn't been here in over 5 years.

Quick Reply: Anyone swapped into 99-04 mustang street car?